Bolieve

Ask a 1L - USask Edition

With exams finally being done and my hangover mostly cured (and people being accepted), I figured that it would be a good time to answer any and all questions that people have about the College of Law. I'll try to respond to questions that are posted after the Christmas break as well, but I can't promise to answer them as fast! Anyways, I'm a current 1L! Send me any burning questions that you may have!

What is your overall experience as of yet? I know this is broad, but I am wondering how you feel in terms of class content (are you finding it interesting or dry and overwhelming), the social scene (how has it been meeting new people, friends?) and has anything really changed within yourself (time management or studying habits) between your previous academic experience and the College of Law? By this I mean, have you had to significantly "up your game" or have you always been a hard working student? Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Jasper said:

What is your overall experience as of yet? I know this is broad, but I am wondering how you feel in terms of class content (are you finding it interesting or dry and overwhelming), the social scene (how has it been meeting new people, friends?) and has anything really changed within yourself (time management or studying habits) between your previous academic experience and the College of Law? By this I mean, have you had to significantly "up your game" or have you always been a hard working student? Thanks in advance!

1. Overall experience: My overall experience has been great. I've been enjoying classes, having fun at networking events, and making lots of friends. It's a small school so you'll know everyone quite well and the profs really are fantastic. There is a lot of drinking events which really aren't my scene (wife complains if I call at 3am needing a ride), but there isn't any pressure to actually drink.

2. Course content: Like all students and subjects, there are classes that I enjoy, and classes that I don't. They added a new course for 1Ls this year which added to our workload significantly (more readings in that class per week than all the other classes combined), but overall it is still very manageable. I worked full-time while taking a full course load throughout undergrad so maybe it is just my time management skills helping me, but I haven't found it overwhelming. There are certainly busy/sleepless nights when things like your first year memo are due, or when you're closing in on exam time, but overall I haven't minded it.

3. Social aspects: I love the social aspects at USask. The LSA does a really good job during welcome week to introduce you to everyone. Since you get broken into 2 sections (and they are competitive between each other), you get to know the 60 odd students in your classes quite well. As with any school, there will be some people that you don't particularly like, but overall I get along with most people quite well. I have also made some really good friends already and the upper years are super approachable.

4. How I have changed: I think the biggest change for me was not procrastinating. In undergrad, I would leave papers and studying for the night before, but you cannot do that in law school. Also, I make sure I do the readings everyday rather than skipping them which I often did before this year and it really paid off for me come exam time.

• Like 1

How do you find living in Saskatoon? I've lived in Ontario all my life, about 30 mins West of Toronto and find the idea of moving to Saskatoon intimidating. 

3 hours ago, Oranges94 said:

How do you find living in Saskatoon? I've lived in Ontario all my life, about 30 mins West of Toronto and find the idea of moving to Saskatoon intimidating. 

Well I’m a little biased because I’m from Regina (so we naturally hate Saskatoon), but I’ve enjoyed it so far. Rent is pretty reasonable, public transit isn’t awful, and you can drive anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. The selection of restaurants isn’t too bad, and there is often something going on. If you’re worried about the cold, you just have to dress for the weather. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RickyBubbles01 said:

How does living in Saskatoon compare to living in Regina?

I haven’t found the transition too hard. They are fairly similar cities. There’s a bit more traffic (the bridges create a bottleneck), but public transit is a lot better. The parking at the university is much worse than Regina which is why most people just bus. Rent is about the same, and there is faster internet available. 

• Like 1

I went to U of S and U of C and I can absolutely say that I preferred U of S, wish I hadn't moved home, but part time work and family and friends are pretty hard to scoff at.