savvytoo

Procrastinating Reference

Hi all, 

My application is complete aside from one of my references submitting the form. I am slightly worried that he will procrastinate until the deadline in February judging by his tendency to submit forms for other schools right at/just before the deadline. Is it at all detrimental for my chances of admission if he submits his reference form that late?

I am an applicant from Ontario, if that makes a difference. 

Did you tell him that the deadline was February?  If so, you don't really have any basis on which to criticize him as "procrastinating".  I'm sure that he has a bunch of things to do, so why do this one earlier than it needs to be done?  If you told him it was February, I think that there is a decent chance that he won't hand it in until that deadline.  If you wanted it to be handed in sooner (and I'm sure others will chime in and tell you whether it matters for Calgary specifically), then you should have told him this.  If you did tell him this, then send him a reminder.  If you didn't and you think it would help to have the letter sent in sooner, then you should send a very polite email telling him that while you told him the deadline was February, that it would be very helpful if he could send it as soon as possible, as schools are already starting to send acceptances.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

Did you tell him that the deadline was February?  If so, you don't really have any basis on which to criticize him as "procrastinating".  I'm sure that he has a bunch of things to do, so why do this one earlier than it needs to be done?  If you told him it was February, I think that there is a decent chance that he won't hand it in until that deadline.  If you wanted it to be handed in sooner (and I'm sure others will chime in and tell you whether it matters for Calgary specifically), then you should have told him this.  If you did tell him this, then send him a reminder.  If you didn't and you think it would help to have the letter sent in sooner, then you should send a very polite email telling him that while you told him the deadline was February, that it would be very helpful if he could send it as soon as possible, as schools are already starting to send acceptances.

Thanks for the input. I did tell them that the deadline was February, but made sure to mention that it's a rolling admissions process and the sooner it is submitted the better. Regardless, you're right saying that I don't really have a basis to criticize. I was just looking for some input as to whether or not it would be detrimental if they did wait until the deadline. 

Just now, savvytoo said:

Thanks for the input. I did tell them that the deadline was February, but made sure to mention that it's a rolling admissions process and the sooner it is submitted the better. Regardless, you're right saying that I don't really have a basis to criticize. I was just looking for some input as to whether or not it would be detrimental if they did wait until the deadline. 

I would just follow up with him with a polite request to send it as soon as possible, noting that while the deadline is February, students are starting to get offers.

I had the same issue and felt awkward following up again. I called Calgary and had them re-send the email for him to submit and he did within an hour. I think it worked because it seemed like it was them following up instead of me, if that makes sense? So could give that a try.

• Like 1