daveybay

LSAT 164 L2 - 3.3

I'm curious about my chances at Calgary - my cumulative GPA is nothing to write home about, but my most recent courses are pretty decent. 

I have 3 years of solid professional/volunteer experience after graduation with good references but decided to take additional undergrad courses rather than trust my GPA as it stood. My most recent 8 courses since returning to school while working full-time average about 3.8.

Unsure if this year will be my year at any Canadian law school or if its worthwhile (upon being rejected) to continue taking classes if this is the career path I still would like to pursue.  

Edited by daveybay

What's your GPA like for your last 20 half-courses? That's what UCalgary uses, rather than your cumulative. It sounds like your L2 might yield a higher GPA than your cumulative, and that would definitely mean your chances of getting in are higher.

EDIT - I just saw that your L2 is 3.3, I had assumed that was your cumulative, apologies! Your LSAT score is above the average so I do think it's still worth trying!

EDIT2 - I reread your post and now I'm a bit confused - you've already obtained an undergrad degree but you've gone back and taken additional university courses, right? Is the L2 you posted just from your undergrad or does it include these most recent courses as well?

Edited by RGoodfellow

On 12/18/2018 at 1:48 PM, RGoodfellow said:

What's your GPA like for your last 20 half-courses? That's what UCalgary uses, rather than your cumulative. It sounds like your L2 might yield a higher GPA than your cumulative, and that would definitely mean your chances of getting in are higher.

EDIT - I just saw that your L2 is 3.3, I had assumed that was your cumulative, apologies! Your LSAT score is above the average so I do think it's still worth trying!

EDIT2 - I reread your post and now I'm a bit confused - you've already obtained an undergrad degree but you've gone back and taken additional university courses, right? Is the L2 you posted just from your undergrad or does it include these most recent courses as well?

In regards to your 2nd edit, I too, I'm intrigued to know if you mean your undergrad L2 was 3.3, because if you've taken eight classes recently that will also be weighed in and if you've done quite a bit better you may be vastly under-calculating your L20 classes. If you took eight classes recently, and completed your undergrad these most recent eight classes will also contribute to the calculation. If you took five classes each semester assuming a full course load they'd look at your most recent 23 classes because they don't pick your 20 classes they look at your most recent semesters that total 20 classes or over.