june2017

Questions about living in Thunder Bay

Hi everyone,

I just had a few questions about living in Thunder Bay, as well as feedback from current students or graduates from Bora Laskin.

1) How is the bussing system in Thunder Bay? I would be moving out of my city to live in Thunder Bay for 3 years. I come from a city in which public transportation is extremely reliable and my main way of getting around.  I don’t have have access to a car, and I’ve heard Thunder Bay has a ‘terrible’ bussing system. Basically I would be relying largely on public transportation.

2)  To current students  and recent graduates- if you were a student who relocated to Thunder Bay for law school, what was your experience like, in regards to readjusting, the atmosphere, etc. Did you move back to your home cities afterwards and find careers or made the decision to stay in northern Ontario?

ANY feedback is welcome! Thanks 

The bus system isn't really that bad. Its shit on a lot but thats basically just public transit in general. I don't know how much you will be using it depending on where you live. If you live close to school there are grocery stores etc nearby. You'll also likely become friends with someone who does have a car so you can mooch away. 

To your second question, you're moving to Northern Ontario not Siberia (even though it is cold). There are a lots of students from Ottawa and Toronto who have no problem adjusting because there isn't that much to adjust to.

8 hours ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

The bus system isn't really that bad. Its shit on a lot but thats basically just public transit in general. I don't know how much you will be using it depending on where you live. If you live close to school there are grocery stores etc nearby. You'll also likely become friends with someone who does have a car so you can mooch away. 

To your second question, you're moving to Northern Ontario not Siberia (even though it is cold). There are a lots of students from Ottawa and Toronto who have no problem adjusting because there isn't that much to adjust to.

Thanks for your feedback!

would you say the bussing system is reliable for day to day activities and social life? (Going to school, groceries, shopping, etc). any suggestions on areas to live in?

Also, since Bora Laskin is relatively a new law school, I couldn’t find much feedback in regards to job prospects for graduates. It seems like a great school and has a lot to offer for me, however, I’ve been receiving discouraging advice from peers about the difficulty in landing job positions afterwards. Do you have any feedback or advice in this department?

22 hours ago, june2017 said:

Thanks for your feedback!

would you say the bussing system is reliable for day to day activities and social life? (Going to school, groceries, shopping, etc). any suggestions on areas to live in?

Also, since Bora Laskin is relatively a new law school, I couldn’t find much feedback in regards to job prospects for graduates. It seems like a great school and has a lot to offer for me, however, I’ve been receiving discouraging advice from peers about the difficulty in landing job positions afterwards. Do you have any feedback or advice in this department?

Most students live within walking distance to school just like in every other city. I personally wouldn't plan on bussing to school each day because its really not necessary. Effective house hunting will eliminate this worry. Generally speaking, shopping and groceries aren't really tasks that revolve around strict time constraints so you will be fine to bus for those activities. I would just look for a house with a bus stop near it to minimize any stress.

Job prospects in what way? My first piece of advice would be to ignore whatever nonsense your peers are feeding you. Additionally, it depends on whether you're speaking about what is possible as a Lakehead graduate or what is likely, which is something prospective students don't consider regardless of what school they attend. For what is possible, you can definitely break into any Ontario market coming from Bora Laskin. There are Lakehead students on Bay Street at the moment for example. However, I don't know how Lakehead students fair in the Vancouver or Calgary market, but this is a result of proximity and lack of desire to enter those markets, and not due to the quality of legal education. 

Is anyone able to talk about the high crime rate in Thunder Bay? I realize there is crime everywhere - but are Lakehead students noticing or having any issues with this? Is this centred in a particular area? 

Additionally, does anyone have any advise on the housing/rental market? I know the law school campus is not attached to the main Lakehead campus. Just wondering how and where people are finding places to live in the city. 

On 12/20/2018 at 10:39 AM, Hopeful42019 said:

Is anyone able to talk about the high crime rate in Thunder Bay? I realize there is crime everywhere - but are Lakehead students noticing or having any issues with this? Is this centred in a particular area? 

Additionally, does anyone have any advise on the housing/rental market? I know the law school campus is not attached to the main Lakehead campus. Just wondering how and where people are finding places to live in the city. 

I was never personally affected by it but I may have heard one story about an attempted break in. Don't quote me on that or make a decision based on it because I can't even recall if it was true or if some drunk clown tried to open the door to the wrong house. Other than that I walked home late at night through some sketchy areas and Im alive to tell the tale. It definitely wasn't ideal but depending on your personality and/or gender it can likely be avoided. Every city has some rougher areas you can stay clear of if you try.

Searching for a house is actually pretty random but check out the Facebook group or Kijiji I guess.

5 hours ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

I was never personally affected by it but I may have heard one story about an attempted break in. Don't quote me on that or make a decision based on it because I can't even recall if it was true or if some drunk clown tried to open the door to the wrong house. Other than that I walked home late at night through some sketchy areas and Im alive to tell the tale. It definitely wasn't ideal but depending on your personality and/or gender it can likely be avoided. Every city has some rougher areas you can stay clear of if you try.

Searching for a house is actually pretty random but check out the Facebook group or Kijiji I guess.

Do you mind sharing the name/link to the Facebook group? I would like to get a head start on looking for a place to rent.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:13 PM, june2017 said:

Do you mind sharing the name/link to the Facebook group? I would like to get a head start on looking for a place to rent.

Kjiji will suffice tbh... Thunder Bay is a very small city and nice too. Racism is Very high there. I have lived in that city for 4 years and I was never affected by crime. Just avoid West fort areas and you will be okay for the most part. 

On 1/12/2019 at 5:24 AM, Aspiringlawyer1 said:

Kjiji will suffice tbh... Thunder Bay is a very small city and nice too. Racism is Very high there. I have lived in that city for 4 years and I was never affected by crime. Just avoid West fort areas and you will be okay for the most part. 

I know this was completely unintentional, but those two sentences side by side made me do a double take 😅

On 1/16/2019 at 5:33 AM, AbolaHen said:

I know this was completely unintentional, but those two sentences side by side made me do a double take 😅

Haha sorry... I was sleepy at the time. 

I won't be attending Bora Laskin but have spent a decent chunk of time living in Thunder Bay. 

It's not a particularly walkable city, but if you can get a bike you can get from one side of town to the other in under half an hour.  Public transport is decent to the university so as long as your house is also close to a bus stop it won't be too bad.   There's a lot of nice breakfast places close to the school.

There's also a lot of poverty.  Lots of indigenous poverty in particular, which obviously has roots in oppression and racism which is definitely still alive and well. 

Although many people from southern Ontario may see Thunder Bay as a small town, its actually essentially the hub of the north, the closest thing to a big city of hundreds of kilometers in every direction.  It's the lifeblood of the many rural towns all over northern Ontario and lots of the people you meet may have driven in from a few hours away and are picking up supplies and whatnot. 

As with anywhere you live, its really what you make of it.  There's a lot of crime, additions, people with poorly addressed mental health issues, but this means there is also a lot of opportunity to make a positive difference as a lawyer.   

Edited by thesamasaurus