RavensCU

Failed Again...

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, jazz79 said:

Hi, I'm struggling with the Solicitors exam and will have to write it a 4th attempt. Did this person pass on their 6th attempt?

I can’t speak to that, however, from my own experience and discussions with the Law Society, you just need some sort of a compelling reason justifying a 4th attempt. Write them a letter explaining your circumstances, and why you think you’ll be more successful moving forward, and they’ll approve you for a round 4. If you’re not successful on your 4th attempt, they mentioned that you have to take a year break between rewrites, and then come back just for the last exam you’ve failed. Keep in mind though that you have 3 years after graduating law school (entering the “Licensing Process”) to complete anticling + pass the bar. Good luck!

Edited by Mycousinsteve

On 1/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, jazz79 said:

Hi, I'm struggling with the Solicitors exam and will have to write it a 4th attempt. Did this person pass on their 6th attempt?

Have you heard back from LSUC regarding writing a fourth time? I sent a message through the portal and have not heard back in almost three weeks now? Or should i be sending my request to write a fourth time somewhere else?

1 hour ago, RavensCU said:

Have you heard back from LSUC regarding writing a fourth time? I sent a message through the portal and have not heard back in almost three weeks now? Or should i be sending my request to write a fourth time somewhere else?

Just send it through your portal. If you have any medical documentation supporting your claim of extenuating circumstances, or any other pertinent information, send that to them as well. Sometimes they do get slow or forgetful. For instance, I had to bug them a couple times for my tutoring info, even though it was getting dangerously close to the exam.

Give them a call and follow up, can’t hurt. Good luck!

My strategies may prove useful to OP, as I am a poor exam taker - in fact, one of the worst one could find within the legal community.

The following commenters used some of the same strategies as me:

Luckcharm:

“I skipped questions that takes longer time

I aimed for 100% correct answer for 80% of the questions only.

I went back to those I skipped and try to get them up to last 15 minutes.

Then I guessed the rest.

I figure I should be ok with 80% correct answers and I passed both in one sitting.” [emphasis added - this is an important tip]

Mycousinsteve:

Make sure you know PR like the back of your hand. [This is very important!!!]" You’ve gone through this thing now so you know just how much of a big part it makes in terms of content. Read and get very comfortable with PR so that you can take on PR questions without flipping through the material. A good rule of thumb is which ever answer seems “least aggressive” may be your best bet. Ie if there’s an option which allows you to consult with your client first, I would go with that option. Law is various shades of grey, so I would generally avoid “always” or “never” options, although there are exceptions.[I strongly agree with Mycousinsteve on this] 

unkemptwithcaffeine:

“I actually bought study notes aimed at NCA exams for areas that I hadn't studied for in law school (Business being a notable example). It's watered down information, sure, but I found it extremely useful for grasping the overarching idea of each area of law.”  [I did the same]

I would like to add the following:

1) Used different colours for highlighting the materials - e.g. I used blue for filing and service deadlines, purple for general rules and orange for caveats etc.

2) I purchased indexes, but I did resort to using the detailed ToC for several questions - but of course, I had studied the detailed ToC beforehand.

3) Did you use a bar exam time sheet? It's essential. Available here: http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/29008-bar-exam-time-sheet/

4) Did you bring with you charts on court jurisdictions (re types of matters, appeals and reviews), civil litigation time lines, table with pre-calculated estate admin tax, flow charts etc.? 

5) Whenever I saw a question which asked me to do calculation relating equalization and any sort of tax, I just guessed the answer and saved the time for other "more solvable" questions.

6) This is very important - you should (have) receive(d) a report containing an analysis on how you performed on various aspects of each failed exam and a comparison between your performance and other candidates' - this information is invaluable - make sure you digest the info and focus on how to improve your performance.

7) Do not re-attempt both bar exams in one single sitting. Re-sit them in separate sittings.

I passed the barrister exam on first attempt, and the solicitor exam on my second try.  And again, I have never been good at taking exams.

I wish you good luck on the bar exams.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, jazz79 said:

Yes, I believe they ended up passing everything and are now licensed or will be called very soon.

3 hours ago, ppbrum said:

Yes, I believe they ended up passing everything and are now licensed or will be called very soon.

What exactly was their 6th attempt? Did they get withdrawn for a year (after failing 4 times), write the exam (5th attempt), fail, then write again and pass? 

On 1/12/2019 at 6:13 PM, zenith3721 said:

What exactly was their 6th attempt? Did they get withdrawn for a year (after failing 4 times), write the exam (5th attempt), fail, then write again and pass? 

I reached out to the Law Society and they said that to go for a 5th attempt you have to send in a letter, as per the 4th attempt, but this time you have to take a year off. 

1 hour ago, zenith3721 said:

And do you have to write an exam that you previously passed again?

They advised no, they will honor the exam you previously passed. The caveat is that you have 3 years post-graduation (ie your “licensing term”) to get both exams and articling done. Meaning if you’re at the point where the necessary year off will push you outside that 3 year timeframe, then in that case you may have to redo articling and all the exams. 

The law is clearly various shades of grey though, so I would definitely reach out to the Law Society to further talk about any of these technicalities. 

31 minutes ago, Mycousinsteve said:

They advised no, they will honor the exam you previously passed. The caveat is that you have 3 years post-graduation (ie your “licensing term”) to get both exams and articling done. Meaning if you’re at the point where the necessary year off will push you outside that 3 year timeframe, then in that case you may have to redo articling and all the exams. 

The law is clearly various shades of grey though, so I would definitely reach out to the Law Society to further talk about any of these technicalities. 

That means you most likely have re take both exams after taking one year off.

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

That means you most likely have re take both exams after taking one year off.

Not necessarily. 

For example, let’s say the clock starts June 2018. In that sitting you pass barrister but fail solicitor. Fail in the subsequent Nov, March 2019, and June 2019 sittings.

One year has gone by since the licensing process commenced, and the candidate has completed articling, and passed one of the exams. 

The next opportunity to attempt the solicitor exam would be after a one year break, so June 2020, exactly 2 years after the clock started ticking. 

So I have been granted the opportunity to write a fourth time, but they are stating that I need to complete both in the next round, being March 2019, as licensing term is up supposedly by April. Has anyone had experience with getting the term extended? Really did not want to write both at the same time, as that clearly has not worked well for me in the past.