Idealist

UVic vs Dalhousie

Just wanted to know where people would go if they were accepted in both, and why?

Edited by Idealist

I'm writing from the perspective of a 0L and applicant to UVic. It probably depends on where you would like to practice (West Coast vs Ontario/Maritimes). I would pick UVic for its smaller class sizes, collaborative environment and focus on experiential learning. The co-op program seems like a great way to experience working in different areas of law outside of the OCI process that you normally wouldn't have access to as a student. . I've also heard nothing but rave reviews about the student experience at UVic.

So from this I get the sense that maybe there isn't a difference in the prestige of the schools, but it's more of a preference thing?

7 hours ago, Idealist said:

So from this I get the sense that maybe there isn't a difference in the prestige of the schools, but it's more of a preference thing?

I think if you think of a dalhouse law degree for Toronto vs uvic law for Vancouver, uvic is favored. Obviously there is less competition for Vancouver but it's something to consider depending on what op want to do.

15 hours ago, Idealist said:

Just wanted to know where people would go if they were accepted in both, and why?

For me personally I would go to uvic and this is despite the fact that I don't want to stay in Vic since I did my undergrad there (just want some variety and new experiences...the city and university itself is a great place to live in for 3-4 years).

My concerns with Dalhousie are mainly to do with living in a more isolated place, fragmented/non-campusy campus?, and less opportunities in Vancouver and Toronto (I want the option to do big law in these cities and I think I would have similar chances to go to Toronto from both - tho if anyone knows different, would love to hear their opinions on this). 

Other than that, there's some soft factors for my reasoning: weather is much milder, high restaurants per capita, large and beautiful campus close to the ocean, relatively congested so easier to get from one place to the other (dt to uvic is like ~20 min bus ride with walking and biking options all around the city), and diversity (this is actually a big factor for me and probably why even uvic won't be my destination although it's better than halifax. It's just not enough, especially as a poc). 

• Thanks 1

Full disclosure: I'm a 0L, so I obviously haven't attended either. 

My brother graduated from Dal Law in 2017 and I did my undergrad there, so I might be able to provide some insight on what it's like to live in Halifax / attend Dal. My brother absolutely loved his Dal experience! He went to UBC for undergrad and had similar concerns about living in the Maritimes (especially since he had never visited anywhere on the east coast). He loved it (and was very surprised)! He said there were so many opportunities to get involved with the law school, if that's something you're interested in. The orientation week for Dal law is a great time apparently. The school really makes sure that you get to know your other 1Ls.

He's now practicing at a large firm in Vancouver mostly doing insurance litigation. He had about 5 interviews from top-tier firms in Vancouver, so going to a maritime school doesn't necessarily preclude you from a West coast / big city career. Also, he always mentioned that the faculty is fantastic. He loved most of his professors. One even published one of his papers in a Canadian family law journal. 

In terms of some of your queries above, the Dal campus is pretty much right on the waterfront. It's maybe a 20 minute walk from the law building to the boardwalk. The downtown area is small, but there are SO many bars and pubs and there's always something going on. There is an 'ok' transit system, but everything is so close that you always walk (transit pass is included in tuition). Halifax is about 45 minutes from the airport.

Dal campus, in general, is great. It has been through a bunch of renovations recently. There's a great large new gym facility. Also, there's a huge new (built in 2016-ish) life sciences research centre / library that's one block away from the law building where a lot of students go after the law library has closed. The law building was redone a few years back, and again this past year. The library is great (I used to sneak in there to study with my brother) and there are tons of study spaces in the building. 

Whoops - this was way longer than I intended! Please let me know if you have other questions! I consider Halifax my second home and always recommend Dal / Halifax to anyone considering attending. 

Thank you labr for responding. I loved every bit of the comment you wrote and thought that it wasn't long enough haha. I think I have strong chance at both schools for upcoming fall. I just finished my undergraduate from UVic a few months ago and although UVic has a great school I am thinking that a change might be nice and the information you stated above definitely has made me tilt towards Dalhousie.

• Like 1

@yeezy's concerns are spot on, and I feel the need to temper the above assessment of Dal. You diddnt state where you are from or would like to practice someday, and this would likely be the single most important factor. If you arent from/have family in Ontario/NS or want to practice in either province some day, I would say one would be damn near insanity to choose Dal over UVIC. 

I'll start by saying the law program at Dal and the building are great, however to me, I thought the campus was terrible. The fragmented nature of the campus @yeezy speaks of is very true indeed. It does not have the traditional campus feel at all. It is just a long street with buildings on either side.

Moreover, the main library should be imploded ASAP. Grungy would be an understatement and it looks like a Soviet war bunker with no windows. There are signs up literally noting that there are rats. The study locations are crap, and a major frustration I had was actually finding a good study space anywhere. The Wallace Mcain Learning Centre is new and fairly good, however its very small. The campus has a run down feeling overall. Parking is also a nightmare. Depending where you are from, you may also feel quite isolated in Halifax. I definitely did. I found Halifax as a whole pretty underwhelming. 

I will also note that I did my undergrad at UVIC, so the post will be a bit biased. Nevertheless, I did check out 8 law schools last year and UVIC by far had the best/most beautiful campus. Throw in quality of the law school, vastly better amenities/study atmosphere at UVIC, Victoria as a whole, mild climate, proximity to some of the most beatuiful locations in Canada and you cant go wrong. Uvic also has a great Coop program.  Let me know if you have any other questions 

On 12/13/2018 at 8:38 AM, yeezy said:

My concerns with Dalhousie are mainly to do with living in a more isolated place, fragmented/non-campusy campus?, and less opportunities in Vancouver and Toronto (I want the option to do big law in these cities and I think I would have similar chances to go to Toronto from both - tho if anyone knows different, would love to hear their opinions on this). 

1. I am not sure what this even means. The main campus of Dalhousie seems to have all of the symptoms of a university campus? A massive quad with a central administration building at one end, 2 main bars, a SUB building that was totally renovated 2 years ago etc. In some ways, having the major faculties all along University Avenue makes getting around campus very easy. 

2. At least with regards to Toronto, the opposite is true. Last year's stats from Ultra Vires show that Dal students landed nearly as many 2L jobs in Toronto as UVic, UBC, TRU, U of A, U of C, U Sask and UNB combined. McGill was the only non-Ontario school to do better. For reference: http://ultravires.ca/2017/11/summer-2018-recruitment-hiring-trust-not/ .There is also a strong Dal contingent in Vancouver considering the number of students that come from BC. 

1 hour ago, AJD19 said:

Moreover, the main library should be imploded ASAP. Grungy would be an understatement and it looks like a Soviet war bunker with no windows. There are signs up literally noting that there are rats. The study locations are crap, and a major frustration I had was actually finding a good study space anywhere. The Wallace Mcain Learning Centre is new and fairly good, however its very small. The campus has a run down feeling overall. Parking is also a nightmare. Depending where you are from, you may also feel quite isolated in Halifax. I definitely did. I found Halifax as a whole pretty underwhelming. 

I will also note that I did my undergrad at UVIC, so the post will be a bit biased. Nevertheless, I did check out 8 law schools last year and UVIC by far had the best/most beautiful campus. Throw in quality of the law school, vastly better amenities/study atmosphere at UVIC, Victoria as a whole, mild climate, proximity to some of the most beatuiful locations in Canada and you cant go wrong. Uvic also has a great Coop program.  Let me know if you have any other questions 

1. Agreed, the Killam sucks. That said, the law library is huge and has more than enough space for everyone. There are also several relatively new buildings with ample study space. Finally, the new Halifax Central Library that opened in 2014 is one of the most renowned public libraries in the world...

2. Again, this seems at best entirely subjective and at worst a broad assumption that the amenities are better or that the atmosphere is any different. Second, Halifax can equally boast proximity to some of the most beautiful locations in Canada. 

All things considered, Dal and UVic are probably very similar in most respects; smaller universities in smaller coastal cities. Outside of Victoria and Vancouver, the stats seem to show that Dal is a safer bet in terms of job prospects in Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa and the east coast. 

Edited by Himalaya

6 hours ago, Himalaya said:

1. I am not sure what this even means. The main campus of Dalhousie seems to have all of the symptoms of a university campus? A massive quad with a central administration building at one end, 2 main bars, a SUB building that was totally renovated 2 years ago etc. In some ways, having the major faculties all along University Avenue makes getting around campus very easy. 

2. At least with regards to Toronto, the opposite is true. Last year's stats from Ultra Vires show that Dal students landed nearly as many 2L jobs in Toronto as UVic, UBC, TRU, U of A, U of C, U Sask and UNB combined. McGill was the only non-Ontario school to do better. For reference: http://ultravires.ca/2017/11/summer-2018-recruitment-hiring-trust-not/ .There is also a strong Dal contingent in Vancouver considering the number of students that come from BC. 

1. I have never been to dalhousie so obv experience might differ but having considered it heavily, the campus seems quite fragmented. Its definitely not campusy to me since its scattered somewhat in the downtown of halifax (esp considering they literally say they have three different campuses in dt halifax because of this fragmentation). Other than that idunno obv its going to have university basics like a sub etc. Im mainly comparing uvic and dalhousie here. Uvic is completely encapsulated and all university buildings are on campus. And that model is way more appealing to me. 

2. Placement stats are not really relevant when comparing these schools. They are definitely relevant for schools like osgoode vs toronto that are challenging for the same main market. But for a school like uvic, I mainly said what I said because of what Ive read with regards to the quality of the program. Dalhousie is alot closer to Toronto and Im sure many students go there with Toronto in mind. But with uvic, I feel like students would already be self-selecting themselves out of that market. That said Im still not sure with regards to toronto chances between these schools so I wont really comment on it further. 

9 hours ago, AJD19 said:

@yeezy's concerns are spot on, and I feel the need to temper the above assessment of Dal. You diddnt state where you are from or would like to practice someday, and this would likely be the single most important factor. If you arent from/have family in Ontario/NS or want to practice in either province some day, I would say one would be damn near insanity to choose Dal over UVIC. 

I'll start by saying the law program at Dal and the building are great, however to me, I thought the campus was terrible. The fragmented nature of the campus @yeezy speaks of is very true indeed. It does not have the traditional campus feel at all. It is just a long street with buildings on either side.

I dont really have an opportunity to check out campuses before I decide so could you elaborate on your experiences at the 8 campuses/law schools you visited? 

7 hours ago, yeezy said:

I dont really have an opportunity to check out campuses before I decide so could you elaborate on your experiences at the 8 campuses/law schools you visited? 

For sure, ill pm you

On 1/28/2019 at 11:27 AM, AJD19 said:

For sure, ill pm you

Could I potentially hop in here and get a copy/paste of that pm? Specifically interested on what uvic campus is like in your opinion compared to others

5 minutes ago, hemingway17 said:

Could I potentially hop in here and get a copy/paste of that pm? Specifically interested on what uvic campus is like in your opinion compared to others

Haha for sure ill message you 

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2019 at 2:06 AM, yeezy said:

I mainly said what I said because of what Ive read with regards to the quality of the program.

Hi, Yeezy I was wondering what you read that made you think that the quality of the program at UVic is better than Dalhousie?

Thanks 

On 1/28/2019 at 4:06 AM, yeezy said:

1. I have never been to dalhousie so obv experience might differ but having considered it heavily, the campus seems quite fragmented. Its definitely not campusy to me since its scattered somewhat in the downtown of halifax (esp considering they literally say they have three different campuses in dt halifax because of this fragmentation). Other than that idunno obv its going to have university basics like a sub etc. Im mainly comparing uvic and dalhousie here. Uvic is completely encapsulated and all university buildings are on campus. And that model is way more appealing to me. 

So I graduated from Dal law last year, so I can put some concerns to rest. 

There are technically four Dal Campuses - the Truro Agricultural Campus, the Sexton Campus, the Studley Campus, and the Carleton Campus.

You can forget about every single one of those except for the Studley Campus. 

The Weldon Law building, aside from maybe the SUB, is the only building you will ever visit. They are both on the main Studley Campus. All of your courses are in the Weldon Law building. You don't have to be concerned about losing that "campus feeling" because you will probably never interact with your undergrad peers at any of the non-Studley Campuses anyway. The Studley Campus is massive, and everything is entirely walkable. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Skweemish said:

You can forget about every single one of those except for the Studley Campus. 

The Weldon Law building, aside from maybe the SUB, is the only building you will ever visit. They are both on the main Studley Campus. All of your courses are in the Weldon Law building. You don't have to be concerned about losing that "campus feeling" because you will probably never interact with your undergrad peers at any of the non-Studley Campuses anyway. The Studley Campus is massive, and everything is entirely walkable. 

Just no all around. Especially in a comparison thread, it's obviously important what the campus has to offer. I don't know about you but I definitely do not plan on only being in the law building and only interacting with law students. 

With regards to the studley campus vs others and fragmentation, I think that's fair enough. But the (big) concern over the feeling of a campus is still there for me.