pasqlaw20

How is L2 Calculated

I am in 4th year and am curious on how to calculate my last 2. Will my fall 2018 semester be included? Is so, how is it included? I'm assuming that it will not count as a year in itself as I have several full year courses that will not have grades reported until May. Will it be included along with the last 2 years worth of credits (example: fall 2018 with spring 2018 = one year;  and fall 2017 with spring 2017 = another year?). 

If anyone could clarify I would appreciate it. 

Hello! They will definitely look at whatever half-courses you'll have completed by the end of December, but I don't think they'll look at your full year courses for this year, as from what I've seen most schools are just about done with application assessments by May-ish.

L2 doesn't necessarily mean the last two years of classes. As far as I can tell most law schools use the last 20 (or so, depends on the school) half-courses, and that usually constitutes your L2. So whatever full year courses you took prior to Fall 2018 would count as two half-courses for this purpose.

For me, since I took a couple years in the middle of my degree with only four courses per semester, I technically had to calculate using two and a half years of courses to get my L2, haha!

Thanks this is very helpful! In order to calculate my last 2 they are definitely going to have to use courses from my second semester of my second year. Do you know how they select these courses? They're going to need 5 half-courses and I have 9 technically (4 full-years and a half). Will they take the highest ones? 

10 hours ago, RGoodfellow said:

Hello! They will definitely look at whatever half-courses you'll have completed by the end of December, but I don't think they'll look at your full year courses for this year, as from what I've seen most schools are just about done with application assessments by May-ish.

L2 doesn't necessarily mean the last two years of classes. As far as I can tell most law schools use the last 20 (or so, depends on the school) half-courses, and that usually constitutes your L2. So whatever full year courses you took prior to Fall 2018 would count as two half-courses for this purpose.

For me, since I took a couple years in the middle of my degree with only four courses per semester, I technically had to calculate using two and a half years of courses to get my L2, haha!

I believe they'll take the most recent ones, so I would go with the ones you most recently started, rather than what most recently ended. So if you're deciding between a full year course you started in Fall 2017 and a half-course you started in Spring 2018, for example, even if they both ended in May, you'd take the half-course you started in Spring 2018 first.

EDIT - If you're deciding between a half-course in Fall 2017 and a full year course started in Fall 2017, though, I think you'd take the full year course first.

Edited by RGoodfellow

17 minutes ago, RGoodfellow said:

I believe they'll take the most recent ones, so I would go with the ones you most recently started, rather than what most recently ended. So if you're deciding between a full year course you started in Fall 2017 and a half-course you started in Spring 2018, for example, even if they both ended in May, you'd take the half-course you started in Spring 2018 first.

EDIT - If you're deciding between a half-course in Fall 2017 and a full year course started in Fall 2017, though, I think you'd take the full year course first.

That makes sense! I have 4 full year courses though (started in september and finished in May of my second year). They will need to take two of them to get 20 half years for my L2. Will they take the higher two? The lower two? 

1 minute ago, pasqlaw20 said:

That makes sense! I have 4 full year courses though (started in september and finished in May of my second year). They will need to take two of them to get 20 half years for my L2. Will they take the higher two? The lower two? 

Ooooh I gotcha! That's a really good question, and it's hard to say. I would assume they'd take the higher two but in this case I'd recommend contacting the school(s) you're interested in and asking them for clarification.

It may vary school to school. I know that some schools, if they have to go back to a previous semester or year, will include all courses in that semester or year. They will not pick and choose, either the higher or lower courses.

3 hours ago, erinl2 said:

It may vary school to school. I know that some schools, if they have to go back to a previous semester or year, will include all courses in that semester or year. They will not pick and choose, either the higher or lower courses.

Okay so based on these calculations my L2 is anywhere from 3.52-3.55 depending on how my fall grades come in. I have a 3.40 cGPA and a 164 LSAT. Any idea on my chances (ive applied to Windsor, Queens, Western, Ottawa, Osgoode and UofT). Ive already posted but only got one opinion and would love another! 

You will not get a definitive answer on L2. Every school has their own policy on how they handle it. And for your purposes I’m not sure it matters. A rough estimate is sufficient to give you an idea of where you stand. The difference between a 3.52 and 3.55 is meaningless when trying to figure out your chances. Those significant digits may be important during actual admission decisions but are useless in any other context. 

11 minutes ago, Ryn said:

You will not get a definitive answer on L2. Every school has their own policy on how they handle it. And for your purposes I’m not sure it matters. A rough estimate is sufficient to give you an idea of where you stand. The difference between a 3.52 and 3.55 is meaningless when trying to figure out your chances. Those significant digits may be important during actual admission decisions but are useless in any other context. 

Yeah i figured this was the case. Thanks for this! Based on my stats would you say i'm competitive for most schools (except uoft and osgoode obviously). 

23 minutes ago, pasqlaw20 said:

Yeah i figured this was the case. Thanks for this! Based on my stats would you say i'm competitive for most schools (except uoft and osgoode obviously). 

I honestly don’t know. CGPA is much more helpful in deciding and I don’t know what you got on the LSAT. 

5 minutes ago, Ryn said:

I honestly don’t know. CGPA is much more helpful in deciding and I don’t know what you got on the LSAT. 

3.40 cGPA, 3.52-3.55 B2/L2. 164 LSAT

2 hours ago, pasqlaw20 said:

3.40 cGPA, 3.52-3.55 B2/L2. 164 LSAT

Not terrible. People get admitted with those numbers. Couldn’t give you any more insight than that. If you haven’t already plugged your stats into www.lawapplicants.ca you should; maybe you can get a bit more helpful info.