Sign in to follow this  
yeezy

Topics closed

Noticed many threads get locked when things get heated such as: https://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/56686-am-i-missing-out-on-anything-by-not-attending-u-of-t/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-770657. Its even worse in the off-topic discussion section where politics etc threads are regularly locked.

I was wondering what mods would think about suspending these threads for a couple of days (to cool down) instead of closing them forever. I dont have any examples on hand but theres been threads that, in the past, i would be reading and finding useful but then a couple users arguing would result in the thread being closed.

Occasionally, we do close something temporarily and we also frequently splice a tangential discussion into a new thread. More often, a topic has run its course, and that is when it devolves into unhelpful arguing. In the discussion you linked, after five pages, it was going off-track and most of those involved in the discussion were not U of T students or grads, who might be able to provide a realistic view of the current situation there. Sometimes threads get to the point where they require too much moderation with the arguments going round and round, from just a few members.

If the discussion has provided enough information relevant to the OP's question, it's best that the thread be closed. It's rare that a thread is closed early in a discussion. We have to use our judgment as to whether something should continue or not, the benefits vs. the amount of added work to the mod team. We don't always get it right but we try our best!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Occasionally, we do close something temporarily and we also frequently splice a tangential discussion into a new thread. More often, a topic has run its course, and that is when it devolves into unhelpful arguing. In the discussion you linked, after five pages, it was going off-track and most of those involved in the discussion were not U of T students or grads, who might be able to provide a realistic view of the current situation there. Sometimes threads get to the point where they require too much moderation with the arguments going round and round, from just a few members.

If the discussion has provided enough information relevant to the OP's question, it's best that the thread be closed. It's rare that a thread is closed early in a discussion. We have to use our judgment as to whether something should continue or not, the benefits vs. the amount of added work to the mod team. We don't always get it right but we try our best!

Fair enough, that seems like a reasonable approach. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this