LegalLand

Ottawa or Osgoode?

Any insights into the programs at Ottawa versus Osgoode?

I am not sure what type of law I am interested in and want to go in with an open mind to all opportunities.

Is Osgoode worth the extra money in tuition and living expenses in Toronto? 

I did 1L in Ottawa then transferred to OZ

Both are great school.

The tuition and living expenses are lower in OZ after the $21K bursaries I received from OZ.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:26 PM, Luckycharm said:

The tuition and living expenses are lower in OZ after the $21K bursaries I received from OZ.

Want to elaborate? Over $20k seems like a lot. Were they merit or need based?

2 hours ago, thedraper said:

Want to elaborate? Over $20k seems like a lot. Were they merit or need based?

Need based

Max was $10K each year. I was there for 2 years but I got $11K in 2L and 10K in 3L

You can get up to 30K for 3 years

Edited by Luckycharm
  • Like 1

One thing you might consider is that the York faculty got absolutely screwed recently at arbitration, which means they'll almost certainly be on strike again within the next two or three years.

I personally wouldn't go to York because I wouldn't cross a picket line, but regardless of what you think of it it'd be a massive pain in the ass and just isn't worth it imo

3 hours ago, richelieu said:

One thing you might consider is that the York faculty got absolutely screwed recently at arbitration, which means they'll almost certainly be on strike again within the next two or three years.

I personally wouldn't go to York because I wouldn't cross a picket line, but regardless of what you think of it it'd be a massive pain in the ass and just isn't worth it imo

Osgoode runs autonomously from York. It's not really part of York. 

35 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Osgoode runs autonomously from York. It's not really part of York. 

The picket lines are at all entrance to York/OZ.

Edited by Luckycharm

Also, it's just dumb to pick a law school based off a potential work stoppage in three years that: (i) may or may not happen; (ii) if it does happen, will be unlikely to affect your studies in any material way; and, (iii) if it does happen, will almost resolved via legislation from the PCs. 

There are a million better and more important things to consider when deciding whether to go to law school.

• Like 5

Ottawa is a fine school. 

If you want to get a job in Toronto through the structured recruit, you should know that firms come here last, fewer firms come at all, and some firms interview fewer students; only Gowlings sent more than one team of interviewers, every other firm met with 20 students. That's not to say getting a job through the recruit out of Ottawa is impossible - about 35 students/year are hired from Ottawa - but I'm sure that it's harder. 

Most scholarships are only available to Ontario residents (including the one for top 10% of your class), so that could be something to consider if you're from out of province...

I need to add the caveat that getting a job in the structured recruit in Toronto is not how most lawyers get jobs, nor should it be something you feel like you have to do. I'm just mentioning it because what I said is true and you should know about it.

Edited by easttowest

On 12/7/2018 at 11:53 AM, BlockedQuebecois said:

Also, it's just dumb to pick a law school based off a potential work stoppage in three years that: (i) may or may not happen; (ii) if it does happen, will be unlikely to affect your studies in any material way; and, (iii) if it does happen, will almost resolved via legislation from the PCs. 

There are a million better and more important things to consider when deciding whether to go to law school.

I personally wouldn't because I don't want to cross a picket line. You don't think finding an unblocked entrance in the subway counts as crossing the picket line, I do. If you would cross the picket line, don't support unions and hope for back-to-work legislation, then my statement doesn't apply to you. But to say that it's completely immaterial is only your personal opinion. For people who support unions, the fact that York is constantly on strike is relevant.

3 minutes ago, richelieu said:

I personally wouldn't because I don't want to cross a picket line. You don't think finding an unblocked entrance in the subway counts as crossing the picket line, I do. If you would cross the picket line, don't support unions and hope for back-to-work legislation, then my statement doesn't apply to you. But to say that it's completely immaterial is only your personal opinion. For people who support unions, the fact that York is constantly on strike is relevant.

I don't cross picket lines, either. It's still the second stupidest reason to pick a law school, right after school colours. 

One's choice of law schools has a material effect on their career prospects. Deciding not to go to a school that offers materially different prospects than another because of something that (i) may or may not happen, (ii) if it does happen, will be unlikely to affect your studies in any material way, and, (iii) if it does happen, will almost certainly be resolved via legislation is short-sighted and stupid. 

Especially considering literally any school can go on strike, and U Ottawa avoided a strike by just a few hours literally last year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I don't cross picket lines, either. It's still the second stupidest reason to pick a law school, right after school colours. 

One's choice of law schools has a material effect on their career prospects. Deciding not to go to a school that offers materially different prospects than another because of something that (i) may or may not happen, (ii) if it does happen, will be unlikely to affect your studies in any material way, and, (iii) if it does happen, will almost certainly be resolved via legislation is short-sighted and stupid. 

Especially considering literally any school can go on strike, and U Ottawa avoided a strike by just a few hours literally last year. 

Osgoode was lower on my list than Ottawa for a few reasons, and constant strikes was one of them. A friend who went through one of the strikes in the 90s took classes and wrote an exam in a church off-campus, I believe, and someone else I know left the school because of disruptions in their one year there. Was it the definitive factor? Of course not, but it was contributing. Certainly not the "second stupidest" reason not to go somewhere. 

Of course, as you say, Ottawa barely avoided a strike that I didn't know was on the horizon. Shows what I know. 

6 hours ago, yeezy said:

...this has been an issue at York for literal decades. 

Again, certainly not determinative, but something I considered among other factors.