Jump to content
Mandy555

Am I missing out on anything by not attending U of T?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, GodotXVII said:

This is where we fundamentally disagree. Law school exams are completely arbitrary, and they test a skill that is foreign to most students. Your 1L grades will come from a handful of 100% exams. There is no guarantee that you will be above median at Emory just because you went to Yale; the most common outcome for most students is median. That's why school placement matters; if you're likely to be median, the school that places 70% into biglaw is a safer bet than the school that places 30%. it has nothing to do with the school name, but rather how student's from that school are perceived on their curve. 

 

Just LOL. I graduated from HYS and have been working 3+ years in NYC biglaw. I said that I'm approaching this from the perspective of a 0L, not that I am a 0L. If you intend on practicing, I highly recommend honing your attention to detail. 

On my point, can you provide actual published statistics? From the perspective of a 0L, I would not base my school decision on the words of anonymous forum members. 

Fair, I did misread. I've been writing and reading for about 9 hours straight now, and I'm tired. I don't appreciate the backhanded slap and I expect more (or I guess I shouldn't, given what you've been claiming) from someone of your position.

 

Anyway I can't, since it's confidential information that the CDO doesn't make public. There's a buyer beware in this forum regarding what's said and reliance on those things.

 

I'd urge incoming 0Ls to equally apply that principle to someone who claims to have gone to HYS and works in NY big law but at the same time calls U of T "t14" while simultaneously considering all "big law", regardless of jurisdiction, the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GodotXVII said:

This is where we fundamentally disagree. Law school exams are completely arbitrary, and they test a skill that is foreign to most students. Your 1L grades will come from a handful of 100% exams. There is no guarantee that you will be above median at Emory just because you went to Yale; the most common outcome for most students is median. That's why school placement matters; if you're likely to be median, the school that places 70% into biglaw is a safer bet than the school that places 30%. it has nothing to do with the school name, but rather how student's from that school are perceived on their curve. 

Ok now I don't trust anything you say at all. You really assume that there's 0 correlation to lsat/GPA and law school performance? There's literally published statistics out there on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Fair, I did misread. I've been writing and reading for about 9 hours straight now, and I'm tired. I don't appreciate the backhanded slap and I expect more (or I guess I shouldn't, given what you've been claiming) from someone of your position.

 

Anyway I can't, since it's confidential information that the CDO doesn't make public. There's a buyer beware in this forum regarding what's said and reliance on those things.

 

I'd urge incoming 0Ls to equally apply that principle to someone who claims to have gone to HYS and works in NY big law but at the same time calls U of T "t14" while simultaneously considering all "big law", regardless of jurisdiction, the same.

If you take offence to that backhand slap, then you probably aren't cut out for the obscenities and general BS of biglaw. 

Im making the comparison because UofT and T14 schools have similar biglaw placement numbers. Back when I was applying, UofT v T14 was a common point of consideration. I also never said biglaw was the same. I only compared general biglaw numbers. I have no idea what your point is. 

 

1 minute ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Ok now I don't trust anything you say at all. You really assume that there's 0 correlation to lsat/GPA and law school performance? There's literally published statistics out there on this.

Again, reading comprehension. I did not say 0 correlation. I said you cannot predict your placement with certainty. Which is a big risk, considering the money and time investment. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I was going to respond, but I feel this thread has taken its course and is no longer useful. Your analysis seems to be lacking a lot of contextual factors which I won't bother to lay out here for you. I'm actually fairly certain you're aware of them, and just refuse to acknowledge them because they hurt your argument.

 

To anyone actually contemplating a decision between the T14, U of T, McGill, Oz, etc feel free to PM me for details regarding McGill. I'm a student here and happy to help with details on the program, career outcomes, etc etc. There's also plenty of information that is useful on this site regarding making that decision, which is accessible with the search function.

 

Over and out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

You know, I was going to respond, but I feel this thread has taken its course and is no longer useful. Your analysis seems to be lacking a lot of contextual factors which I won't bother to lay out here for you. I'm actually fairly certain you're aware of them, and just refuse to acknowledge them because they hurt your argument.

 

To anyone actually contemplating a decision between the T14, U of T, McGill, Oz, etc feel free to PM me for details regarding McGill. I'm a student here and happy to help with details on the program, career outcomes, etc etc. There's also plenty of information that is useful on this site regarding making that decision, which is accessible with the search function.

 

Over and out.

I would actually be very interested in hearing about these contextual factors, since I think I know what you are talking about, and I do not think they hurt my argument. If there was something I didn't mention, its probably because I don't want to type a hundred paragraphs. 

But I agree this conversation has run its course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Yeah, I don't think a U of T student that gets a job in the 2L recruit would be 25-30% less likely to get a job if they went to another school. I'd guestimate that it is, at most, a 5-10% advantage. And I'd call 5-10% marginal.

So a 10% improvement in LSAT would be marginal??? As if. Pretty obvious it would materially improve your chances of getting into a law school of your choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Constant said:

So a 10% improvement in LSAT would be marginal??? As if. Pretty obvious it would materially improve your chances of getting into a law school of your choice. 

Yeah, I consider a 5-10% improvement marginal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Yeah, I consider a 5-10% improvement marginal. 

Sure...if the difference between Harvard and  Western is marginal then you are correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×