Megbean123

Getting a bad grade in Fall 2018

There's a little bit of piling on here, I don't know if all of it is warranted; one early poster did suggest that the OP reconsider going to law school. I think the comment about being supportive was in reply to those kinds of posts.

And the sentiment that this place makes law school sound intimidating to an outsider is fair. Many of the threads here really highlight the most stressful (other than exams and, of course, actual practice) parts of this dumb thing we're doing: acceptance, summer job hunt, articling job hunt. I remember browsing this forum before coming to school and wondering what I was getting myself into. 

I absolutely agree that handling stress is vital to succeed in school. I also think @megbean123 should know that law school is not that bad! This will be especially true if you don't put yourself through the summer recruit, which sounds likely given your interests. Stress comes in waves and you'll have just roll with it and not get too high or low. You'll be fine. 

6 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

There are 4 pages of responses and I haven't read all of them. I just have this to add: if a B+ in undergrad causes this much stress, law school might break you. I personally don't find law school to be that stressful, but it's certainly more stressful than undergrad. Couple that with the fact that getting straight As is virtually impossible thanks to bell curves, you might have an anxiety attack. Law students tend to be overachievers that have had high marks their whole lives. In law school, most of them live in the B- to B+ range.

If your grades are as high as implied, you'll get into law school. The bigger problem is keeping your anxiety under control.

...it's worse. She was already accepted to multiple law schools when she wrote this...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, providence said:

...it's worse. She was already accepted to multiple law schools when she wrote this...

Yeah... she really needs to figure out how to deal with that anxiety.

2 minutes ago, easttowest said:

There's a little bit of piling on here, I don't know if all of it is warranted; one early poster did suggest that the OP reconsider going to law school. I think the comment about being supportive was in reply to those kinds of posts.

And the sentiment that this place makes law school sound intimidating to an outsider is fair. Many of the threads here really highlight the most stressful (other than exams and, of course, actual practice) parts of this dumb thing we're doing: acceptance, summer job hunt, articling job hunt. I remember browsing this forum before coming to school and wondering what I was getting myself into. 

I absolutely agree that handling stress is vital to succeed in school. I also think @megbean123 should know that law school is not that bad! This will be especially true if you don't put yourself through the summer recruit, which sounds likely given your interests. Stress comes in waves and you'll have just roll with it and not get too high or low. You'll be fine. 

I think all we’re trying to do is emphasize that stress management is a very important skill, and never getting a B+ is a very unimportant skill, so Meg would be well advised to work on the former and not the latter. 

And I don’t think it’s a good idea to talk about law school without talking about practice. Most people go to law school to practice. So now is the right time to work on the things that will help you be successful moving forward. 

I entirely agree law school is not very stressful or hard. But a lot of people handle the stress it does deliver poorly, and there’s no good accomplished in pretending otherwise. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 11:00 AM, Megbean123 said:

Anyway -- thanks to everyone who had something good to offer. For those who didn't, I don't think that's what the forum is for

My friend, I'd encourage you to steer away from this approach to criticism for your own sake, because it'll only cause you more stress and anxiety going forward.  

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 1

Not everyone is "fine." I saw people have breakdowns, either in law school, articling or practice. In my articling year, there was a person who was really smart, would have made a great lawyer, but couldn't handle the pressure, went to therapy but it was still too much. They didn't finish articles, didn't get called, and got a reasonable non-law job that they say they like, so I guess that is "fine", but it was a bit of a waste to go to law school for that. My BFF has pretty bad anxiety and is always a mess - his practice is always on the edge, he has to smoke marijuana and/or take pills just to function, and I am constantly worried about him. There are some people who would be much better off if they did not go to law school.

2 minutes ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

I think all we’re trying to do is emphasize that stress management is a very important skill, and never getting a B+ is a very unimportant skill, so Meg would be well advised to work on the former and not the latter. 

And I don’t think it’s a good idea to talk about law school without talking about practice. Most people go to law school to practice. So now is the right time to work on the things that will help you be successful moving forward. 

I entirely agree law school is not very stressful or hard. But a lot of people handle the stress it does deliver poorly, and there’s no good accomplished in pretending otherwise. 

I don't disagree with any of this. 

I had some more things to say, but couldn't get it right and have an exam in eight hours so I should probably call it.

Megbean, you'll be fine. I'm sure you can handle the stress.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, easttowest said:

I don't disagree with any of this. 

I had some more things to say, but couldn't get it right and have an exam in eight hours so I should probably call it.

Megbean, you'll be fine. I'm sure you can handle the stress.

Again, how can you say that when you don't know her? Law has high rates of alcoholism, heart attacks, addictions, marriage breakdowns and suicides.

• Sad 1

I believe this thread has run its course and is going in circles now. 

OP, you have what I think are pretty good answers in aggregate.