Megbean123

Getting a bad grade in Fall 2018

Note to mods: not sure what to title this. 

Basically, I am in danger of getting my first bad grade which is still not a horrible grade (B+) but shows that in my last semester and taking an increased courseload and a 400 level class I let my grade slip. 

I know this is far from a disasterous scenario and should hardly impact my overall application but I’m worried schools will see it (u of t, mcgill) and say “oh when things get tough, she cracks under the pressure” given the fact that it seems that way. 

Am I being absurd or when I send in my fall grades is this a legitimate concern? I know it does fuck all to my gpa (basically takes it down .1 or something) but again worried it says something about the kind of student I am ^

Edited by Megbean123

16 minutes ago, Megbean123 said:

Basically, I am in danger of getting my first bad grade which is still not a horrible grade (B+) but shows that in my last semester and taking an increased courseload and a 400 level class I let my grade slip. 

I know this is far from a disasterous scenario and should hardly impact my overall application but I’m worried schools will see it (u of t, mcgill) and say “oh when things get tough, she cracks under the pressure” given the fact that it seems that way. 

Am I being absurd or when I send in my fall grades is this a legitimate concern? I know it does fuck all to my gpa (basically takes it down .1 or something) but again worried it says something about the kind of student I am ^

By worrying about this and numerous other things, it does seem to show you're cracking under the pressure. You also posted about being non-functional and depressed till you heard that you got into law school.

I've said it before, but in law school, you will:

-write exams and then have to wait a month or so for grades

-have a high probability of getting at least one B+ or even (gasp!) a B

-submit resumes and then wait days or weeks to see if you are getting various levels of interview

If you can't handle waiting for results or getting less than an A, do NOT go to law school. 

35 minutes ago, beentheredonethat4 said:

This post highlights the the exact type of person you are. This is ridiculous. 

Yeah I mean are u trying to say there are no people with intense anxiety in the entire field of law? I get that I am neurotic and obsessive about my grades but that is what everyone makes it seem like law is all about from a-z. Like have a look at this forum it’s all about grades and objective stats and how law schools perceive you. What am I supposed to think? 

@providence yeah I know I am cracking under the pressure. Not really sure what to do about it. I mean I can’t imagine there aren’t people like me in the field of law nor who got through law school. I kind of imagine I’ll have a period where I adapt to all this stuff and it will be emotionally hard. I can’t really help who I am

I admit this might look ridiculous (and did multiple times in my post) but for a sec both of u put yourself in the position of someone not through law school reading this forum. It looks so competitive from getting in to law school to articling to actually working. This was a legitimate question and I asked it from a place of genuine concern

Edited by Megbean123
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Megbean123 said:

Yeah I mean are u trying to say there are no people with intense anxiety in the entire field of law? I get that I am neurotic and obsessive about my grades but that is what everyone makes it seem like law is all about from a-z. Like have a look at this forum it’s all about grades and objective stats what am I supposed to think? 

@providence yeah I know I am cracking under the pressure. Not really sure what to do about it. I mean I can’t imagine there aren’t people like me in the field of law nor who got through law school. I kind of imagine I’ll have a period where I adapt to all this stuff and it will be emotionally hard. I can’t really help who I am

I admit this might look ridiculous but for a sec both of u put yourself in the position of someone not through law school reading this forum. It looks so competitive from getting in to law school to articling to actually working. This was a legitimate question and I asked it from a place of genuine concern

I can only say that if you act like this in law school, not only will you drive yourself crazy, but you'll make yourself unpopular with your classmates and you will contribute to a toxic atmosphere of stress for them. If that's not what you want, then stop doing this to yourself.

Law is not about being neurotic and obsessive about your grades at all. Yes, it's competitive, but lawyers generally need to thrive on competition, not crack under it. And it should be a healthy, motivating competition, not a disabling one. I saw plenty of people develop mental health issues or have existing ones get way worse from being the way you are being now during law school. You're going to sabotage your current semester if you keep worrying about "bad" grades like B+s. 

I wouldn't say this forum makes law look "so competitive", but if it does to you, then don't read it! Seriously, just get off and live your life until you go to law school. You can't do anything to prepare for law school and there's no real reason to be on here at the moment if it is causing you anxiety. You can come back later with specific questions about firms or whatever if you need to. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Megbean123 said:

I admit this might look ridiculous (and did multiple times in my post) but for a sec both of u put yourself in the position of someone not through law school reading this forum. It looks so competitive from getting in to law school to articling to actually working. This was a legitimate question and I asked it from a place of genuine concern

You describe your "problem" as " I am in danger of getting my first bad grade which is still not a horrible grade (B+)"

If, in a four year degree, you have yet to attain any grade below an A, and you think this dip may alter your chances of entry, you would need to believe that there is a law school somewhere in Canada which requires a minimum entry standard of 4.0

If you do genuinely believe that, you are far too ill-informed to be applying for law school. If you know how ridiculous that assertion is, then your post is (at best) bizarre. If we're taking it at good faith then you need to overcome your anxiety issues before you go any further in the application process. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, lookingaround said:

If were taking it at good faith then you need to overcome your anxiety issues before you go any further in the application process. 

I mean yeah it’s this. It does feel ridiculous but the concern and genuine worry is always there. I don’t believe minimum standard of entry is 4.0 but I probably overestimate the number of people who have that with whom I am competing. Plus my lsat is below the median for my top choice so stuff like this worries me. When I went to law admissions information sessions McGill stressed not letting your grades dip and that is the best school for my financial situation so I’m a bit freaked out

8 minutes ago, Megbean123 said:

I mean yeah it’s this. It does feel ridiculous but the concern and genuine worry is always there. I don’t believe minimum standard of entry is 4.0 but I probably overestimate the number of people who have that with whom I am competing. Plus my lsat is below the median for my top choice so stuff like this worries me. When I went to law admissions information sessions McGill stressed not letting your grades dip and that is the best school for my financial situation so I’m a bit freaked out

Yeah, but you're ultimately competing with yourself, not other people. You can't control other people. You can control yourself. And having a 4.0 is not going to do you any good if you crack under pressure all the time. I went to law school with plenty of people who had 4.0 or close to it who did not handle the pressure of law school very well at all. As I have said before, getting 4.0 in undergrad is not necessarily hard (it can be, but it depends.) It's just a number. 4.0 may or may not mean much depending on the school or program. Law school is different with a different curve and it is a long race. You're competing with the curve more so than other people. I don't think it's healthy to look at your classmates as "competition."

2 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Please show some respect for all of the other talented people who are working incredibly hard to get an acceptance from any Canadian school. You have two acceptances before December, relax.  

This is like the people who come on here (or did it in law school too): "My grades are A, A, A, A, B+, B+, is this bad? Am I screwed for OCIs?"  Or "I only got 5 interviews and others have 7, is this bad?" Everyone gets mad at those people. @Megbean123 this is an example of how you will piss off your classmates acting the way you are right now. 

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Megbean123 said:

a B+? That is terrible

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Megbean123 said:

Yeah I mean are u trying to say there are no people with intense anxiety in the entire field of law? I get that I am neurotic and obsessive about my grades but that is what everyone makes it seem like law is all about from a-z. Like have a look at this forum it’s all about grades and objective stats and how law schools perceive you. What am I supposed to think? 

Helpful advice re: what to do about it - take a year or two off before going to law school - travel, work non-law jobs, read for fun, have hobbies, live on your own if you haven't yet, party, have a relationship or two. Consider if law school is really for you, live a little, think about something other than grades or stats, then if you still want to go, go. Don't be a K-JD and lock yourself into a bubble where you are defined by your grades. 

Anecdotally, it seemed that the people who did this handled law school "stress" better and often were strong students and did well in the articling search as compared to some K-JDs. 

Edited by providence
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, providence said:

Helpful advice re: what to do about it - take a year or two off before going to law school - travel, work non-law jobs, read for fun, have hobbies, live on your own if you haven't yet, party, have a relationship or two. Consider if law school is really for you, live a little, think about something other than grades or stats, then if you still want to go, go. Don't be a K-JD and lock yourself into a bubble where you are defined by your grades. 

Anecdotally, it seemed that the people who did this handled law school "stress" better and often were strong students and did well in the articling search as compared to some K-JDs. 

I think you're right and this is something to strongly consider and I think I have probably, wrongly, been using this forum as an outlet for stress that is maybe unrelated to law school. But, I also have a tendency to perseverate about certain things so yeahhhh

Are you currently being treated for your anxiety, etc.? If you're worrying this much about something that's not a problem at all, I would start looking into things beyond self-management like therapy. Apologies if you've mentioned doing these things already and I missed it, in which case I would definitely bring these things up with some kind of mental health care provider.

Edited by Xer
a typo
  • Like 2

This is serious advice: turn off this forum for a while. It can be a useful resource and there are lots of good people here, but it's such a thin slice of law school and the profession. 

If coming here and venting is helping you, then by all means, continue. But if this place isn't helping, stay away for a bit! 

You're in law school. It's almost time for a break from school. Step away and enjoy what you've accomplished for a bit.

• Like 2

So you need to give some thought to whether you are ready for law school at this stage.  Truly.  I am sure you are well intended but maybe very naïve.  To succeed at law school and at the practice of law, there is more to it than book smarts. in my mind.  JUDGMENT is a big one - not foreseeing how people would feel about this post would certainly suggest that you need to work on this.  PERSPECTIVE is another.  Keeping your successes and failures in perspective and learning from them is pretty important to survival too.  UNDERSTANDING that there will always be people that are potentially smarter than you and that it doesn't matter in the long run  is essential. Book smarts only gets you so far. You need to consider why all of your self esteem at the moment seems to be tied to getting into the law school of your choice  and/or  being the very first to get an acceptance at all of them as it seems by your posts to be very important to you and you need to think about why that is  - if it wasn't already apparent ….everyone here is in the same boat and many will be overjoyed to simply get in.  

Edited by Littlelegal
grammar
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Xer said:

Are you currently being treated for your anxiety, etc.? If you're worrying this much about something that's not a problem at all, I would start looking into things beyond self-management like therapy. Apologies if you've mentioned doing these things already and I missed it, in which case I would definitely bring these things up with some kind of mental health care provider.

I am, but probably not to the degree I should be, this whole process has been so overwhelming for me and I am not yet even in law school. I will take everything said here into account. Thanks for all the advice, truly, everyone who had something helpful to offer.

I really didn't mean to offend or hurt anyone but it is true as @Littlelegal said that a lot of my self-esteem is tied up in grades and statistics and I think that unfortunately, so is the law school process which has only exacerbated that sentiment. Luckily, I do have the next few months off from school, to just work, so I will take that time for some self-reflection, a mental health break, and genuine enjoyment. I think I've also channeled a lot of my stress into this forum and the law school application process in general.

I have received lots of positive and helpful pms and posts here, though, so thanks!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Megbean123 said:

I am, but probably not to the degree I should be, this whole process has been so overwhelming for me and I am not yet even in law school. I will take everything said here into account. Thanks for all the advice, truly, everyone who had something helpful to offer.

I really didn't mean to offend or hurt anyone but it is true as @Littlelegal said that a lot of my self-esteem is tied up in grades and statistics and I think that unfortunately, so is the law school process which has only exacerbated that sentiment. Luckily, I do have the next few months off from school, to just work, so I will take that time for some self-reflection, a mental health break, and genuine enjoyment. I think I've also channeled a lot of my stress into this forum and the law school application process in general.

I have received lots of positive and helpful pms and posts here, though, so thanks!

When I was very young, my self-esteem was also tied up in grades, having straight As, being top of the class etc. But the adversities of life very quickly changed that and I realized that grades don’t define you. How you respond to adversity and still manage to get good grades does. 

You didn’t offend me. I can tell you’re very anxious. I just want to give you some perspective and try to help. 

• Like 1

@Megbean123 I know we're both just two strangers on the Internet, but I wish you all the best and I hope you feel better over your break! 

• Like 2