Nimra123

Shocked By OLSAS GPA

Hi guys,

I am new to this. I have applied to all the law schools in Ontario. I graduated with two undergraduate degrees. I had very low grades in my first degree. With my second degree I had a very high GPA. I added marks from both of my degrees to Ryn's calculator, and the calculations came out to a 3.45. However, OLSAS just released my GPA and it came down to a 2.76. I am really shocked.  I have read threads on here and noticed that Ryn's calculator is just a bit off from the OLSAS calculator. So I was expecting my GPA to be bit lower than 3.45. I am trying to figure out that is my GPA really 2.76 (as posted by OSLAS). How does it work when you have two degrees ? Or has OLSAS made a mistake ? Should I contact them ?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Nimra 

Were the degrees from different schools? Some have different OLSAS conversions. Also if you repeated any courses, did you include the original and repeated? Were courses full year vs. half year weighted appropriately? I used Ryn's calculator and had a weird transcript as well but it came out with only a 0.01 difference.

If you think you calculated it correctly I would say try calling to figure out how they did it/verify it's correct. 

Yes the degrees were from two different schools. No, I did not repeat any course. Individually, both of my GPA's were correct. However, when I combined them, it came off completely different. Thanks for the response.

I am going to give them a call.

Is the 2.76 more in line with your average from your first degree? 

I have heard anecdotally that obtaining a second degree will not "bring up" the average from your first degree. Instead the marks considered for the purposes of calculating or OLSAS GPA are solely from your first degree. The grades from the second degree are submitted as a matter of course but are considered more akin to a Masters or PhD degree.

I'm not sure if this is actually correct (as I said it's only by anecdote that I've heard it), but if the 2.76 is more in line with what you would have calculated solely on first degree then this seems to corroborate the anecdote. 

All the notes I’ve had from people have indicated that my calculator is reasonably accurate. Assuming you entered all the data in there correctly, I’m not sure why you’d get such a vastly different official calculation. I’d reach out to OLSAS to confirm how they got that number. It’s possible they made a mistake (it happens though rarely), or there’s something I missed on my end that’s applicable to people in your situation. In both instances, it’d be good to know the cause. 

Do let me know if it turns out there is a problem with the calculator. 

• Like 1

I've found that you can go on OLSAS and click Academic Background > "View" beside each institution, and it should give a breakdown of how your GPA was calculated for each year. Not sure if it'll help but might give some insight! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Megbean123 said:

I'm going to just say Ryn's calculator was dead accurate for me

Same, absolutely dead on.

19 hours ago, Nimra123 said:

Hi guys,

I am new to this. I have applied to all the law schools in Ontario. I graduated with two undergraduate degrees. I had very low grades in my first degree. With my second degree I had a very high GPA. I added marks from both of my degrees to Ryn's calculator, and the calculations came out to a 3.45. However, OLSAS just released my GPA and it came down to a 2.76. I am really shocked.  I have read threads on here and noticed that Ryn's calculator is just a bit off from the OLSAS calculator. So I was expecting my GPA to be bit lower than 3.45. I am trying to figure out that is my GPA really 2.76 (as posted by OSLAS). How does it work when you have two degrees ? Or has OLSAS made a mistake ? Should I contact them ?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Nimra 

I don't think you can combine two degrees.

Your GPA per OLSAS may be just your first degree and the second was not taken into account.

Some schools will look at courses after first degree but not included in GPA.

I'm in a similar situation: 2 undergrad degrees.  My OLSAS GPA took both of my degrees into account, so it's definitely possible that there is a mistake.  I would call