LamerFan99

Taking both LSO exams in the same month. Good idea or worst decision of my life?

Hey there everyone,

I’m a student at Université de Montréal and will be graduating in June with a dual civil/common law degree and would like to take the LSO bar exam. I plan on taking my Quebec bar exam in December 2019 (I have an articling position for January 2020 in Montreal). Therefore, I’d like to take both Ontario exams in June 2019 in order to get them out of the way right off the bat. The consensus online seems to be that taking one exam in June and another in the following month of November was the optimal scenario. However, I was wondering if any of you had been in the same situation and survived the 2 LSO/LSUC exams following your graduation from law school?

TL;DR – Is 1 month (and a bit) enough time to effectively study for BOTH LSO exams or is it suicidal?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, LamerFan99 said:

Hey there everyone,

I’m a student at Université de Montréal and will be graduating in June with a dual civil/common law degree and would like to take the LSO bar exam. I plan on taking my Quebec bar exam in December 2019 (I have an articling position for January 2020 in Montreal). Therefore, I’d like to take both Ontario exams in June 2019 in order to get them out of the way right off the bat. The consensus online seems to be that taking one exam in June and another in the following month of November was the optimal scenario. However, I was wondering if any of you had been in the same situation and survived the 2 LSO/LSUC exams following your graduation from law school?

TL;DR – Is 1 month (and a bit) enough time to effectively study for BOTH LSO exams or is it suicidal?

Thanks!

If you're in Ontario the normal course is to take them two weeks apart.

Very few people split them up. In my experience (and other posters... don't crucify me if you're one of a very small number of people who've done otherwise) most people get them both out of the way at the same time. The people who are only writing one or the other in November or March are usually rewriting. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 3:20 PM, LamerFan99 said:

Good idea or worst decision of my life?

When I read this title, for some reason all I could think of was chasing Mentos with Coke.

• Haha 3

On 11/27/2018 at 5:31 PM, erinl2 said:

Most people take both in June so, no, I wouldn't describe it as suicidal.

I took both in June as did the vast majority of my colleagues... I don't personally know anyone that failed either exam. Get into an index group and practice page flipping. Unless something has changed these are not substantively difficult exams. Sitting in the direct energy centre twice, for upwards of seven hours in one month... that's the hard part.

50 minutes ago, Zarathustra said:

I took both in June as did the vast majority of my colleagues... I don't personally know anyone that failed either exam. Get into an index group and practice page flipping. Unless something has changed these are not substantively difficult exams. Sitting in the direct energy centre twice, for upwards of seven hours in one month... that's the hard part.

I'm all for people doing whatever works best for them, but in my experience, don't bother with an index group. Just buy the indexes. So much less work and stress. It's worth the cost! 

13 hours ago, Zarathustra said:

Sitting in the direct energy centre twice, for upwards of seven hours in one month... that's the hard part

It’s called the Enercare Centre now. But otherwise nothing has changed. 

I didn’t find the bar substantively difficult. The hardest part was just how long a single exam day was and maintaining the necessary performance for all of those hours was exhausting. 

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, LamerFan99 said:

Hey there everyone,

Thanks!

I split mine up - wrote the Barrister in June and Solicitor in November. I was working when I wrote in June and didn't allot enough time to study for both exams. When it came time to write again in November though, I did wish that I had just gotten it all over with in one month. 

On 11/27/2018 at 5:20 PM, LamerFan99 said:

Hey there everyone,

Thanks!

I took both in June and passed. I also did not attend an Ontario school so taking both in the same month is indeed  possible :)

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 3:10 PM, marciaxo said:

I took both in June and passed. I also did not attend an Ontario school so taking both in the same month is indeed  possible :)

Awesome, congrats! Did you use any online bar prep course?

Especially given a lot of the professional responsibility information is duplicative between exams, it makes sense to do the exams together.

Did 'em both in March, was working full-time during the study period, passed, and I also didn't go to an Ontario school. It's certainly doable (and most people I know did it that way too.) Agree with utmguy that there's a broad swathe of overlap in the material, too. 

On 3/7/2019 at 4:48 PM, LamerFan99 said:

Awesome, congrats! Did you use any online bar prep course?

No prep course but I did buy my indices from Ontario Law Exam and went over their practice exams multiple times. I would HIGHLY recommend doing as many practice exams as you can as it's not really about whether you understand the law (although that makes things easier), but rather how fast you can find keywords in order to then find your answer. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2019 at 5:03 PM, hefeweizen said:

Did 'em both in March, was working full-time during the study period, passed, and I also didn't go to an Ontario school. It's certainly doable (and most people I know did it that way too.) Agree with utmguy that there's a broad swathe of overlap in the material, too. 

It's interesting how closely the above mirrors my experience with the bar and with articling.

OP: it's very possible and not at all suicidal.  Others have made these recommendations individually, but here is what I would consider the most important assets in passing the bar:

1. Keep to a consistent, reasonable schedule in terms of reading the materials

2. Possess/create/acquire decent indices and become familiar with their layout

3. Absolutely make sure that you have a timing sheet/chart when you go into the exam - the chart is likely to be off by about 5-10 questions compared to the actual bar exam that you write, but I found it invaluable in staying on track when writing the exam

4. Don't leave off reading the solicitor materials until the two week gap between that exam and the barrister's exam (or vice versa);  in other words, I found it helpful to keep to my reading schedule up until pretty close to each exam - it didn't really harm me that I had finished the barrister's read-through about a month before the barrister's exam and had dug into the solicitor's material by the time that the barrister's exam occurred

5. Be very aware of timing during the exam - circling a question and moving on if you are having trouble locating the answer after a minute or two is not only acceptable, it's crucial;  it hurt for me to do this, in a sense - I wanted to be done with questions completely before moving on, but that will be a death sentence when you realize that there is ten minutes left and about 25 questions remaining that you have not even read yet.

Edited by WicketStyx