my only tip is review! its more important than any other single factor. 

review is:

1. blind review

2. identifying not only what questions you got wrong and why but also those that you were iffy on and could have gotten wrong

3. taking notes of this review and which type of questions you got wrong and coming back to them! that can be drilling, looking up the question type in your lsat book of your choice (i recommend the trainer + a set of powerscore, etc.), or remembering these question types during pts and remembering your learned point of attack.

My advice would be to go through a course, either in person or online (7sage was great for me) to learn some of the basic skills you need for this test.  Then you can doing practice tests and reviewing them thoroughly.  

Take a diagnostic test if you want, just to see if you are genius or not that doesn't require all the time and effort that the typical process takes.  But if you're not gifted with a high diagnostic I wouldn't get too down about it, as I went from I low 130s diagnostic to 166 on test day after 5 months of studying.  

I was pretty much in the same boat! I just took the November LSAT(still patiently waiting for my results) and I'm in my 3rd year, applying to law schools next fall. 

I started a few months before studying with a diagnostic test with the Princeton review which came to my school. I thought it was super helpful because I honestly had no idea what to expect, didn't even really know the layout. Not even lying when I say I knew nothing. It made me really experience what the real thing would be like, and I think it went better than it would've if I was taking it on my own. I got a 146 as my diagnostic which wasn't great obviously but was better than I expected and motivated me to improve it.

I started studying for the November LSAT in August and took powerscore online course for 12 weeks leading up to it. I also used the powerscore bibles and followed the schedule they provided. I'm going to go against what most people said and actually vouch for studying during the semester. In the summer I was working full time and honestly just wasn't in the mindset to buckle down and study. I was much more motivated and in the mood to study during the fall, seeing all my friends at the library and whatnot. 

And believe it or not I actually saw an improvement in my grades. I spent so many hours in the library that I wasn't procrastinating at all like I have in the past. Knowing that I had so much work to do pushed me to get ahead in my readings. And once the LSAT was finally over I had so much free time on my hands that I started studying for my finals weeks in advance. 

This is 100% only my experience and may not work for everyone, just thought I should share!