turbotom

School Names in Personal Statements

I am wondering what is the correct way to address the law schools in a personal statement is?

For example, if writing about UBC, would you write "studying law at the Peter A. Allard School of Law" or "studying law at the University of British Columbia"?

Thanks.

20 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

they probably know you say that to every schools

Yes, of course.

My question is which if the two names would you use to address the school? For example, Allard School of Law vs. University of British Columbia; or Robson Hall Faculty of Law vs. University or Manitoba

• Like 1

I'd use the name the school calls itself. So Allard, Robson etc. I'm not basing that on anything in particular, just what I would do.

As one of Canada's leading law schools, the Peter A. Allard School of Law attracts some of the brightest minds across the country and around the globe

On 11/9/2018 at 2:54 PM, turbotom said:

I am wondering what is the correct way to address the law schools in a personal statement is?

For example, if writing about UBC, would you write "studying law at the Peter A. Allard School of Law" or "studying law at the University of British Columbia"?

Thanks.

Lol.... I think you're over thinking your application. 

Focus more on the substance and themes you're trying to convey oppose to what is the functional equivalent of a "Mike vs Michael" preference..... 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:09 PM, Prospero said:

Just don't call Osgoode "York" and you'll be fine. 

No worries there. Most Oz students do their damned best to disassociate themselves with York whenever possible. They won't slip up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The school was originally founded by the Law Society of Upper Canada (now the Law Society of Ontario),[2] and named for William Osgoode, an Oxford University graduate and barrister of Lincoln's Inn who was the first to serve as the Chief Justice of Upper Canada.[3][4] The school signed an agreement of affiliation with York University in 1965 following a decision by the provincial government requiring all law schools to be affiliated with a university.

It was originally located at Osgoode Hall in downtown Toronto, which also houses the headquarters of the Law Society, and relocated to York University's Keele Campus in 1969.[5]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

The school signed an agreement of affiliation with York University in 1965 following a decision by the provincial government requiring all law schools to be affiliated with a university.

Did not know that. Neat

11 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

No worries there. Most Oz students do their damned best to disassociate themselves with York whenever possible. They won't slip up. 

What's York? 

• Haha 1