Megbean123

Additional Additional Essay

So, U of T just gave us the opportunity to submit a second optional essay, should I go for it?

Edited by Megbean123
  • Like 1

I'm stressing about this today too. Lol at their need to send 2 follow-up clarification e-mails. 

I feel like I should write it because it's even more space to talk about myself, but I already touched on diversity in my PS and now I think it would be too much.

Ugh

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Notnotadog said:

I'm stressing about this today too. Lol at their need to send 2 follow-up clarification e-mails. 

I feel like I should write it because it's even more space to talk about myself, but I already touched on diversity in my PS and now I think it would be too much.

Ugh

Yeah, same, I don't want to be redundant because I have already mentioned the things that make me diverse in my PS. Anyway, I looked at your stats and I'm almost certain you'll get in regardless, as 168 appears to be the cut. Can't say the same for my lowly 164 LSAT, but if I do get in, looking forward to having classmates as neurotic as me :):):)

Edited by Megbean123

1 minute ago, Megbean123 said:

Yeah, same, I don't want to be redundant because I have already mentioned the things that make me diverse in my PS. Anyway, I looked at your stats and I'm almost certain you'll get in regardless, as 168 appears to be the cut. Can't say the same for my lowly 164 LSAT, but if I do get in, looking forward to having classmates as neurotic as me :):):)

You're at 25th percentile for LSAT, but over 75th percentile for GPA. Sounds like good odds to me! Goodluck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Notnotadog said:

You're at 25th percentile for LSAT, but over 75th percentile for GPA. Sounds like good odds to me! Goodluck.

Hoping you're right. When you put it like that though, I'm thinking I need to make them just a little more interested in me!

On 11/7/2018 at 7:09 PM, leafer96 said:

If you have a diverse background that you can write about, yes. If not, no.

This may sound silly but what does the school mean by 'diverse'? Diverse in the traditional sense? Or could diversity encompass things like unique jobs worked? I really don't want to go in the wrong direction with this one

8 hours ago, weebof said:

This may sound silly but what does the school mean by 'diverse'? Diverse in the traditional sense? Or could diversity encompass things like unique jobs worked? I really don't want to go in the wrong direction with this one

exactly my question

I grew up in a single parent household in addition to being a religious minority and I'm not sure if that counts 

Edited by Megbean123

Diverse in that you will bring a perspective that might otherwise be absent from the class would be my interpretation.

22 minutes ago, Megbean123 said:

exactly my question

I grew up in a single parent household in addition to being a religious minority and I'm not sure if that counts 

I think as long as we discuss it in the light of 'this is how this experience will contribute to the class perspective and/or the diversity of the group itself, etc.

I'm gonna sound crazy but I googled the prompt and came to this page: https://www.law.utoronto.ca/about-law-school/inclusivity-and-diversity-faculty-law. I went through the demographics they listed of their incoming classes and checked out the categories just to give me a sense of scope. 

Like you said earlier though, it's comforting to know there are people out there just as neurotic as me 😂 I'm sure at the end of the day this isn't quite as make or break for the application as our first optional essay, but it can't hurt to submit if we can come up with something good!

36 minutes ago, weebof said:

I think as long as we discuss it in the light of 'this is how this experience will contribute to the class perspective and/or the diversity of the group itself, etc.

I'm gonna sound crazy but I googled the prompt and came to this page: https://www.law.utoronto.ca/about-law-school/inclusivity-and-diversity-faculty-law. I went through the demographics they listed of their incoming classes and checked out the categories just to give me a sense of scope. 

Like you said earlier though, it's comforting to know there are people out there just as neurotic as me 😂 I'm sure at the end of the day this isn't quite as make or break for the application as our first optional essay, but it can't hurt to submit if we can come up with something good!

I identify with the 8% that likes "indie pop" should I add that in? :) 

1 hour ago, Megbean123 said:

I identify with the 8% that likes "indie pop" should I add that in? :) 

LOL definitely. 

• Like 1

I am still split. 

If I write and do not write well, I feel like it will be a minus to my application. 

But at the same time, I feel like everyone else will be doing this so not doing this itself would be a minus to my overall application. 

Is there anyone NOT writing the additional additional essay at all? 

8 minutes ago, sunshine59 said:

I already wrote one of the supplemental essays, but I have no intention of writing the diversity statement. I would imagine that a poorly written one or one showing bad judgment could hurt an application. Everyone is diverse; not everyone should write a diversity statement.

1 hour ago, sunshine59 said:

I am still split. 

If I write and do not write well, I feel like it will be a minus to my application. 

But at the same time, I feel like everyone else will be doing this so not doing this itself would be a minus to my overall application. 

I wrote mine for the reasons below: 

-socio-economic diversity 

-single parent household 

-religious minority 

I personally think whatever info you provide them with is valuable, but, yes if you're a terrible writer and a basic white guy saying you're diverse for that reason, or, you know diverse because you grew up in affluence and went to a really good school I wouldn't really go that route....(of course nothing wrong with the aforementioned things but its not believable that you would have a perspective unique from that which our laws have already been viewed from). They're asking you if you have insight that is unique to the classroom. A stretch is going to be obvious if you don't really have anything unique to contribute 

Edit: I had a look at your stats, because of your GPA/LSAT on the lower side of median I think the holistic element is really going to be what gets you considered and so you should write it, but, only if there's anything about you that makes you diverse 

Edited by Megbean123

3 hours ago, Megbean123 said:

I wrote mine for the reasons below: 

-socio-economic diversity 

-single parent household 

-religious minority 

I personally think whatever info you provide them with is valuable, but, yes if you're a terrible writer and a basic white guy saying you're diverse for that reason, or, you know diverse because you grew up in affluence and went to a really good school I wouldn't really go that route....(of course nothing wrong with the aforementioned things but its not believable that you would have a perspective unique from that which our laws have already been viewed from). They're asking you if you have insight that is unique to the classroom. A stretch is going to be obvious if you don't really have anything unique to contribute 

Edit: I had a look at your stats, because of your GPA/LSAT on the lower side of median I think the holistic element is really going to be what gets you considered and so you should write it, but, only if there's anything about you that makes you diverse 

Hey! Thank you so much for a detailed comment. I have actually considered about writing mine but the thing is that I already talked about my diversity in my optional essay (optional essay #1) how intellectual experience helped me embrace my diverse identities and how I made it as my core strength. So I have decided not to write this additional essay since I will be only restating myself. 

14 hours ago, sunshine59 said:

Hey! Thank you so much for a detailed comment. I have actually considered about writing mine but the thing is that I already talked about my diversity in my optional essay (optional essay #1) how intellectual experience helped me embrace my diverse identities and how I made it as my core strength. So I have decided not to write this additional essay since I will be only restating myself. 

I've definitively decided that I won't be writing the additional essay for these same reasons. I touch on the ways I'm diverse in my PS and I feel that I would just be restating what I said. Doesn't sound conducive to an effective additional essay.