NoOCI

Non-OCI Recruit - 2019 Toronto 2L Summer

I had interviews with some firms and am fairly confident that I won't be getting a job through OCI's for the summer.  Does anyone know which Toronto firms will be participating in the second round of recruitment, and is there a list of which firms will begin hiring for the 2019 summer after OCI's are done?

For the past two years WeirFoulds and the Ontario Securities Commission have hired a decent number of students after the formal recruit. RBC and TD hire in January/Feb for a summer student. CAMH and another hospital (I want to say Mount Sinai?) will also usually do a posting later in the year.

At Osgoode, our CDO kept an updated list for 2Ls so look out for such a list. Don't get discouraged! You still have many many months to lock up a worthwhile opportunity (sounds like cliche bullshit from where you're sitting I know - but it's the truth)

As the process wraps up it would be helpful for others to chime and in and add employers who hire outside of the process. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, healthlaw said:

and another hospital (I want to say Mount Sinai?)

Yeah, it's Mount Sinai. I saw their posting last year when I was applying for RA positions.

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

Loopstra Nixon, Robins Appleby, Blaney McMurtry, and Weirfoulds are hiring right after all this. RA had their deadline at Oct. 29 or 30th so you're out of luck with them. Not sure about other employers outside of the process but they'll start popping up as the months come by. 

It might be a good idea to also just research firms you're interested in and network. You may find a position that the employer didn't realize they had once you demonstrate genuine interest.

• Like 1

Osgoode also creates approximately 10 business law internships through partnerships with regulators and a handful of large Bay street firms. I can't speak to other schools but they may have something like this as well. (For Oz students this opens up in January I believe. You can find info on last year's opportunities on your Osgoode student account)

The opportunities are limited and hugely competitive, as the students who strike out during OCIs all apply for the few remaining business summer jobs available. Most people I know just got a summer job at a small firm through networking and connections. It would be smart to think about the next year summer articling recruit if you strike out at OCIs and prepare in advance for it. 

The OSC accepts applications with a deadline generally in December and conducts interviews during Reading Week. 

For those considering this process, I would suggest looking into it very quickly. WeirFolds is accepting applications only from November 9th to November 14th. The other firms may also have a very short window.

I hear WeirFolds and Blaneys have a pretty quick turnaround.  I know it's early but may as well get this started.. anyone hear anything? (interviews or even just a confirmation they received the application)

On 11/9/2018 at 12:13 PM, ontariolaw said:

I hear WeirFolds and Blaneys have a pretty quick turnaround.  I know it's early but may as well get this started.. anyone hear anything? (interviews or even just a confirmation they received the application)

Applied to both this morning and received what appears to be an automated confirmation email from WeirFoulds, as their application is done through their online portal. 

3 hours ago, lawlaw2020 said:

has anyone heard from WeirFoulds or Blaney? 

I’ve had a phone interview with WeirFoulds

Edited by lawhopeful18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lawhopeful18 said:

I’ve had a phone interview with WeirFoulds

same. they said they'd call back latest thurs if they'll offer an in firm interview mon/tues of next week.

No word from Blaney's

17 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I must say, WF has been very unprofessional. I won't get into details for anonymity's sake, but by golly am I unimpressed.

Mind sharing in PM? I got invited to in firm on Monday and breakfast on Tuesday. Would like to know what I’m getting myself into lol