tmsillan

When do you hear about second interviews?

Had an interview yesterday afternoon w a mid-sized firm in Toronto. They said they’d contact me if they “needed” a second interview. Do they always do a second interview or can they go straight to offer? Should I have heard about a second interview by now? 

All firms do things different. There are firms that won’t do more than one interview and will just make an offer. I actually know of at least one large firm that told a candidate that and made an offer without a second interview. I think you should have heard by now if they were inviting you back ... but just because they don’t doesn’t mean you won’t get an offer 

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Yeah...I’ve been running over what they said about second interviews and I’m sure I remember her saying “if we need” rather than it being a certain requirement. Fingers crossed! 🤞 

Which firm was this? Interesting that they said "if we need". Maybe they were sold on you after one interview?

It was Torkin Manes ... the interview went quite well I thought. And the second interview was mentioned in passing by the Jr. Associate as she was seeing me out. 

7 hours ago, tmsillan said:

It was Torkin Manes ... the interview went quite well I thought. And the second interview was mentioned in passing by the Jr. Associate as she was seeing me out. 

Please do not disclose such details.

6 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Please do not disclose such details.

... Why? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, onepost said:

... Why? 

I agree it’s not wise. Maybe over PM is okay but I wouldn’t discuss any details openly. The info is pretty innocent but you don’t know who any of us forum members are.. some of us work for the firms you’re interviewing with and might be able to figure out who OP is. Plus other students are interviewing with these firms and might have been told something different... I think everyone should just air on the side of caution 

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree — it’s perhaps not wise. (I’d not share that information, personally.)

I was mostly reacting to the suggestion that it was somehow impermissible.

10 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

I agree it’s not wise. Maybe over PM is okay but I wouldn’t discuss any details openly. The info is pretty innocent but you don’t know who any of us forum members are.. some of us work for the firms you’re interviewing with and might be able to figure out who OP is. Plus other students are interviewing with these firms and might have been told something different... I think everyone should just air on the side of caution 

You learned really fast. Good quality for a lawyer.

I was going through the Torkin Manes  website and I have singled out a few potential female and junior associates by eliminating all male and female partners etc. 

I wonder what will that female junior associate feels now....

Thanks for the advice! I saw other people cheating on her quite openly about firms so I figured that was the way the community worked but what you say makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Bearsistersandsolly said:

When is the blackout period for contacting people at the firm?

3:00 PM tomorrow through 5:00 PM.

ETA: Tomorrow meaning Wednesday, which is technically today. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1