Ryn

I used to be on the admissions committee. AMAA

3 hours ago, sunshine59 said:

I was wondering if admission committees sometimes make decisions based on the last semester grades. 

I suppose it’s possible but I find it very unlikely. That’s fairly late into the cycle. I almost feel like you’d be waitlisted first and then looked at again when the new grades came in. 

Only time I ever held a file was for fall grades. 

Just now, Ryn said:

I suppose it’s possible but I find it very unlikely. That’s fairly late into the cycle. I almost feel like you’d be waitlisted first and then looked at again when the new grades came in. 

Thank you! Then would it be safe to assume that I'd most likely to be rejected at this point? Just want to start making plans for next year! 

4 minutes ago, sunshine59 said:

Thank you! Then would it be safe to assume that I'd most likely to be rejected at this point? Just want to start making plans for next year! 

It’s not “safe” to assume anything until you have a decision in hand. It’s not even May yet. I think most people can expect to hear whether they’ve been waitlisted or rejected in the next few weeks, though.

Hi Ryn,

I’m wondering if you know roughly how many waitlist spots have opened up in the past?

2 hours ago, Iamironman said:

Hi Ryn,

I’m wondering if you know roughly how many waitlist spots have opened up in the past?

Sorry I don’t know. Once we waitlisted someone, that was the last we knew of their file. The admissions officers handle it from then on out. 

My sense, however, is that while the list moves it doesn’t move dramatically. It’s also not ranked so there’s that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ryn said:

Sorry I don’t know. Once we waitlisted someone, that was the last we knew of their file. The admissions officers handle it from then on out. 

My sense, however, is that while the list moves it doesn’t move dramatically. It’s also not ranked so there’s that. 

Okay, thank you ! :)

On 4/26/2019 at 4:06 PM, Ryn said:

Hi Ryn! Thank you for your input! Really appreciate it. So if you are waitlisted, then would the committee automatically look into your final grades? 

2 hours ago, sunshine59 said:

Hi Ryn! Thank you for your input! Really appreciate it. So if you are waitlisted, then would the committee automatically look into your final grades? 

I don’t know. As I said before after we waitlisted someone the admissions officers handled it from then on. 

Hello Ryn, apologies if this has been addressed before but at this point in the cycle, if an applicant is still "in queue", has their application been viewed? Could there be a pending rejection but rejections have not been released yet? Is it possible that the file has not been reviewed?

Thanks!

Hey Ryn, 

If you have not received any response yet (April 30), can you assume that it is likely that you'll either be waitlisted or rejected? 

Thank you!

Hi Ryn,

How does the admissions committee look at files that have been rejected from previous years? Does it affect their decision in any way?

Thanks!

Thank you for the thread Ryn,

Quick question.  How are college transcripts considered? (not used for transfer credits)  

Without being to specific - Mature student application with an undergraduate degree completed/LSAT.  In looking at the application process at Osgoode - they want all post-secondary transcripts including college which is concerning if the GPA from college is considered in the CGPA.  

College GPA is significantly lower than University GPA, University GPA/transcript has no transfer credits on it and the College transcript is from quite a while ago.  It looks like some institutions do not calculate a college GPA into the university GPA but it wasn't made clear on what Osgoode does.

Cheers! 

Hey Ryn,

I was wondering if the ad com made the decisions about entrance scholarships? If not, maybe your experience could provide some insight anyhow.

Unfortunately I did not realize that we had to fill out a financial statement form all the way back in November when we first applied in order to be considered for an entrance scholarship. I reached out to the support staff and they allowed me to submit the financial statement, but they have indicated that most scholarships have been assigned.

I guess my question is, given how late I was admitted in the cycle (April 29th), would I have been a likely candidate for a scholarship anyway? I can't help but feel that I completely ruined any shot I may have had at a scholarship.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my previous question.

I may be applying this cycle and have a question with regards to the Sketch part of the application. When I previously applied to Law School I added every little volunteer/extracurricular from the time I entered University. For simplicity purposes, I wanted to retain only the last 3-4 years of relevant experience. Would this be a problem for an individual that had more sketch items in a previous application 1-2 years ago? For example some activities are not included at all whereas they were on a previous application? 

And just for the sake of knowing I guess, would you have access to and look back at a previous application if you were assessing a candidate?

5 hours ago, talwarrr said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer my previous question.

I may be applying this cycle and have a question with regards to the Sketch part of the application. When I previously applied to Law School I added every little volunteer/extracurricular from the time I entered University. For simplicity purposes, I wanted to retain only the last 3-4 years of relevant experience. Would this be a problem for an individual that had more sketch items in a previous application 1-2 years ago? For example some activities are not included at all whereas they were on a previous application? 

And just for the sake of knowing I guess, would you have access to and look back at a previous application if you were assessing a candidate?

Going to help Ryn out when I can. I have the same experiences as them. 

The review teams do not have the previous files, but we can request the information from admin if we needed it. 

Practically speaking though, the scenario you're worrying about will not happen. It's quite rare for us to look at your previous application. 

That being said I've always been of the opinion that you should tell the committee about your experiences. No reason to remove them IMHO 

• Thanks 1

Hi @Ryn ,

If you have a higher than average GPA but a slightly lower than average LSAT, does the GPA compensate for the LSAT at osgoode? Do they place more weight on one vs the other?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

@Ladybug8712

I think @Ryn  already answered your question in prior posts. If you go through them carefully, you would find them. 

General extraction from his/her words:

It firstly depends on schools.  Mcgill does not even require LSAT. 

Ontario law schools value cGPA generally more than LSAT, at least for the fresh graduates. 

For mature student, a high LSAT( I don't know how high it must be) score can offset low GPA much more significantly than it can for fresh graduate. 

For fresh graduate, cGPA is much harder to be offsetted by higher LSAT. 

In either case, there is a degree of limit you can offset one by another. If your cGPA is too low( I don't know the threshold, but it seems like 3.0 <= the cutoff line ), it does not matter how high your LSAT may be. You would get an auto rejection. 

My understanding is  @Ryn's feeling is a high LSAT( I don't know how high it needs to be. but seems like the threshold >= 160) can possibly offset a relatively low cGPA of 3.3-3.5. 

If your LSAT is too low, the degree that you can offset it by higher cGPA is higher. Again I don't know the exact numbers. 

Ryn can correct me if I am wrong. 

Edited by ScipioAfricanus

@Ryn

I went through all your previous replies in this post but cannot find answers to my questions. Can you please help me with them?

1. It seems like there are vague ranges/definitions of low cGPA and high cGPA. My feeling after reading your posts is 
    • Auto rejection: below 3.0 
    • Low cGPA: 3.0-3.5
    • High cGPA: 3.6-4.0
    • Would you say I understanding is roughly right? Or would you modify the numbers and/or introduce more classes like mid cGPA or super high cGPA?

On 10/7/2019 at 9:33 PM, ScipioAfricanus said:

@Ryn

I went through all your previous replies in this post but cannot find answers to my questions. Can you please help me with them?

1. It seems like there are vague ranges/definitions of low cGPA and high cGPA. My feeling after reading your posts is 
    • Auto rejection: below 3.0 
    • Low cGPA: 3.0-3.5
    • High cGPA: 3.6-4.0
    • Would you say I understanding is roughly right? Or would you modify the numbers and/or introduce more classes like mid cGPA or super high cGPA?

Just on this note generally - Osgoode DOES NOT have an auto-rejection number. Every file is reviewed by someone on the team and if there are compelling reasons as to why you had a sub 3.0 GPA, they will be considered.  This doesn't mean that a 2.8 GPA individual has an amazing shot of getting in, but the process really is holistic and mitigating factors can be considered. 

There are also no definitions/ranges. The "high GPA" may be true to an extent - something above a 3.7 is obviously looked at more favorably than, let's say, a 3.2. But never during my time at Oz did we base anything off of any preset ranges. I could go into this further but frankly, it's not really necessary. 

On 11/1/2018 at 8:17 PM, Ryn said:

The admissions officers receive the files and mark them into three categories: presumed admit, forward for consideration, auto decline. The presumed admit threshold is based solely on grades and test scores (I won't say what the threshold is because I don't think it's public information, and I also think it changes year to year based on the pool's competitiveness). If you reach the level in both LSAT and GPA, other than briefly reading over your file to make sure there isn't some major problem related to something other than your stats, you'll get an offer. This is usually the first round of acceptances that go out.

Conversely, if your stats are below a certain threshold, which I am not sure what that is, you'll just get auto declined sometime in the new year. I should note that files that cite special considerations won't get auto-declined just because of low stats. Those files will be reviewed at some point.

@ZineZ

My perception of auto-rejection is based on Ray's worlds above. It could be Ryn is wrong or my understanding is off trail. 

However, I speculate the more likely case is the auto-rejection threshold based on cGPA is too low to matter for most candidates. [not for all candidates, as there are people I know who graduated with 2.X cGPA on a math/physics major from a top university in U.S.A., such as Caltech. I would by no means say they have lower IQ than I do. ] Even with holistic approach, it seems admission committees must reply on expedience due to the sheer volume of applications. 

Forgive me in trying to define the cGPA ranges, it is partially due to my training of Engineering and mechanical thinking. But I do understand in matters like this, all so-called defined ranges have fuzzy edges. Thus it is extremely hard to provide a number for the lower threshold of high GPA. 

This probably is one reason among many why people are frustrated to answer chance questions:

1. Is 3.6 high ? extremely hard to say as it is on the edge.
  2. Is LSAT 160 high or low? Extremely hard to say as it is on the edge, not to mention the difference across schools. 

Edited by ScipioAfricanus