Ryn

I used to be on the admissions committee. AMAA

Hi Ryn - Thank you for your answers to my questions.  If a degree is still in the process of being completed how would the admissions committee look at the grades? For example, I would finish my undergrad (3 years) in the winter term (2020), would the admissions committee put aside the application until they receive my final term grades or offer an admission or reject my application without waiting for the final grades?

Hi Ryn - Sorry I keep on getting questions after I post. 

Are Ws and Fs on transcript viewed terribly? If there’s an upward trend in the grades will that help? 

Hi Ryn,

I am not sure if this question has been asked before. I was wondering if there will still be admission offers given out after April 1st?

I am above the averages both for cGPA and LSATs but I haven't heard back yet. 

Also, does citizenship status affect one's application (this is more out of curiosity than anything)? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowflakes said:

Hi Ryn,

I am not sure if this question has been asked before. I was wondering if there will still be admission offers given out after April 1st?

Also, does citizenship status affect one's application (this is more out of curiosity than anything)? 

Look at last year's acceptance thread. There were a lot of offers in April (first 2 weeks) and a few more later on

Hi Ryn,

Are you aware about entrance scholarships? 1. What criteria are used to award scholarships? 2. They seem to have different timelines (time period after acceptances) to be handed out for different applicants. Why is that so?

3.Is osgoode open to negotiating scholarships like most American schools are?

4. When is the last they Inform us about entrance scholarships?

5. I am an international and need to take a call between different schools. And given my visa situation I need to decide quickly. I need to know my scholarship offer to make the decision. Would writing to the admissions requesting them to expedite the offer, if any, harm my chances of getting a scholarship offer?

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indlaw said:

Hi Ryn,

Are you aware about entrance scholarships? 1. What criteria are used to award scholarships? 2. They seem to have different timelines (time period after acceptances) to be handed out for different applicants. Why is that so?

5. I am an international and need to take a call between different schools. And given my visa situation I need to decide quickly. I need to know my scholarship offer to make the decision. Would writing to the admissions requesting them to expedite the offer, if any, harm my chances of getting a scholarship offer?

Thanks a lot.

Only going to tackle part 5. 

@Ryn has been around here longer, but iirc people have asked for scholarship information in the past due to circumstances that require it and have heard back. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it harming your chances. The people who work that office are phenomenal and understanding. Just give them a small heads up about why you need to know sooner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

Only going to tackle part 5. 

@Ryn has been around here longer, but iirc people have asked for scholarship information in the past due to circumstances that require it and have heard back. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it harming your chances. The people who work that office are phenomenal and understanding. Just give them a small heads up about why you need to know sooner. 

Sounds great! Thanks a lot, Zizou! :)

Hi Ryn,

Thank you so much for this post! I'm wondering if you can speak to being offered an interview with the admissions committee? I see that my application was just updated to this status yesterday. I'm wondering if the interviews are done in person even if you don't live nearby? I saw the website that interviews are not offered often - in the case that one is offered is it because the admissions committee is on the fence about the applicant? 

Any tips you have would be very greatly appreciated! 

KT

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2019 at 4:11 PM, KMTO said:

Hi Ryn,

Thank you so much for this post! I'm wondering if you can speak to being offered an interview with the admissions committee? I see that my application was just updated to this status yesterday. I'm wondering if the interviews are done in person even if you don't live nearby? I saw the website that interviews are not offered often - in the case that one is offered is it because the admissions committee is on the fence about the applicant? 

KT

I'm not sure how standard they are, but phone interviews do happen. Ask for one if you're too far too commute, it won't hurt to ask

Edited by ZineZ

On 3/30/2019 at 10:11 PM, KMTO said:

Hi Ryn,

KT

I did mine via Skype because I'm out of the country. When they email to schedule, they'll ask if you want to do it in person, over the phone, or over Skype. I'd say Skype is better than phone because it best approximates a normal in-person interview. 

By the way, they've been taking forever to schedule the interviews. My status said I was invited for an email on Feb. 28, I got the email on Mar. 14, then had the interview on Mar. 27th. They told me I'd get an admission decision in 1-2 weeks.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:09 PM, maturestudent909 said:

Hi Ryn - Thank you for your answers to my questions.  If a degree is still in the process of being completed how would the admissions committee look at the grades? For example, I would finish my undergrad (3 years) in the winter term (2020), would the admissions committee put aside the application until they receive my final term grades or offer an admission or reject my application without waiting for the final grades?

Sometimes the committee may hold the file to wait for more grades but that only applies to fall term I believe. I’ve never heard of them holding a file for winter term grades. It happens too late to matter, I would think, except for maybe getting off the wait list, but that’s not something we (student members) participated in since our term ends in April. 

So in summary: I don’t think they wait for winter term grades before deciding on an application. 

On 3/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, maturestudent909 said:

Hi Ryn - Sorry I keep on getting questions after I post. 

Are Ws and Fs on transcript viewed terribly? If there’s an upward trend in the grades will that help? 

One or two bad marks in what is otherwise a strong transcript will matter very little. Consistently bad grades, lots of withdrawals, etc., will affect your application if your cumulative is not strong. Yes good upper year grades help but Osgoode is a cGPA school at the end of the day. So it depends on the number and the degree of bad marks. 

On 3/25/2019 at 6:01 PM, Snowflakes said:

Hi Ryn,

Yes offers are sent out in April. No, to my knowledge citizenship status doesn’t matter other than to levy the correct fees once you’re admitted (it’s less than $1k more per year for international students [or at least it was], in case you were curious).

On 3/27/2019 at 2:01 AM, Indlaw said:

Hi Ryn,

Thanks a lot.

1) No, sorry, we didn’t have anything to do with scholarships. 

2) No idea. 

3) It doesn’t hurt to try, but everything I heard suggests that Canadian law schools don’t really do that. 

4) I don’t know. 

5) It doesn’t hurt to ask, in my opinion. It won’t negatively affect your file in any event. At least I can’t imagine it would. 

On 3/30/2019 at 4:11 PM, KMTO said:

Hi Ryn,

KT

I never participated in an interview, but I do know they do phone and Skype interviews. I think you just have to ask. Many people apply from across the country; it’s not like people are asked to fly in. 

Does the admissions committee take into consideration 5th years during undergrad? 

3 hours ago, a12 said:

Does the admissions committee take into consideration 5th years during undergrad? 

I was never told not to and there isn’t a special notation on an application. For what it’s worth, I didn’t see many people, at least in the files I was given, taking more than four years to complete a degree. 

On 11/1/2018 at 8:08 PM, Ryn said:

I didn't have any of these applications, but yes, I believe that is how it works. We'd see the application and corresponding graduate transcripts, much like we would for anyone in a graduate program.

In general, all of that is good advice, and I would say spot on to what it looks like from behind the scenes. I think you covered everything in your list in terms of what factors affect an application generally.

Some factors matter more than others. For example, ECs are fine, but they don't get weighted very much compared to grades and test scores. You can have stellar grades and have done literally nothing but study and get in. The opposite is almost never true.

I don't think there's ever been a solid formula for determining how much in one can offset something in the other. But I would tell you that if you got a 180 on the LSAT but have a 2.8 GPA, I would certainly look at your application closely. I can't say I'd admit you, but I would strongly consider what you had to say about why we should ignore your grades.

It's tougher for the opposite, because I think it's easier to get a 4.0 than it is to get a 180, simply because of the math (i.e., the LSAT is curved and grades are typically not), but again, the same sort of calculus applies. If you have a 4.0 but a 155, I would certainly want to read about why. I remember admitting a couple of people with low LSATs but exceptional GPAs because they managed to convince me that it was the right decision. But I don't know if it's very common.

Hi Ryn,

Would someone with a low LSAT grade need to explain it in the application or would they convince you with other things in their applications?

Hi Ryn, is it safe to say that if my application is still in queue then it's likely to be a rejection? (considering the fact that I only went into Queue on March 20th)

41 minutes ago, LawHopeful6 said:

Hi Ryn, is it safe to say that if my application is still in queue then it's likely to be a rejection? (considering the fact that I only went into Queue on March 20th)

Have an exact same question. Mine has been in que since Nov 9th. 

4 hours ago, LawHopeful6 said:

No I wouldn’t say that at all. Offers are regularly going out still. Perhaps if you’ve not heard anything by May you can start getting worried.

• Thanks 3

Hi Ryn, 

Thanks so much for doing this. In your experience does the school that an applicant completed their undergrad hold any unofficial weight when interpreting their grades? I know the OLASS has a conversion table, but I noticed that A-'s seemed to viewed the same across all schools. Curious to hear if you guys just go by the raw numbers or take the school into account to some degree when interpreting the marks. 

3 hours ago, LawSchoolJock said:

Hi Ryn, 

Thanks so much for doing this. In your experience does the school that an applicant completed their undergrad hold any unofficial weight when interpreting their grades? I know the OLASS has a conversion table, but I noticed that A-'s seemed to viewed the same across all schools. Curious to hear if you guys just go by the raw numbers or take the school into account to some degree when interpreting the marks. 

No, it does not make a difference. An undergraduate degree from any Canadian university is treated the same.

Hi Ryn, 

Thank you for your previous response. As I have not heard anything back from Osgoode, I started to think if they wish to look at my second semester of fourth year grades before they make decisions. Could this be a possible case? I am aware that we need to send in our final transcripts by June for most of law schools but from what I have heard, they do not their admission decisions based on the last semester grades. However, since I am yet to hear anything from Osgoode, I was wondering if admission committees sometimes make decisions based on the last semester grades. Thank you in advance :)