Ryn

I used to be on the admissions committee. AMAA

On 3/17/2019 at 7:58 AM, LegalQueen96 said:

Hey Ryn,

Thanks for doing this thread! I had a question about the dual degree's you can apply to. If I wanted to pursue the dual JD/(MBA/MES/MA/LLB) does that factor into the consideration of the committee at all? Like if I were to apply to one of these programs, and get into the Masters component, would I be at an advantage of getting into the JD program? Or are they completely different? Do you have any idea how the admissions for the dual programs work?

Thanks!

It doesn’t affect your admission to Osgoode. I’m not even sure adcom members know whether you’re admitted to the joint program or not. I don’t remember seeing an indication anywhere. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Ryn!

Just a quick question - If you have written the LSAT more than once, but your more recent score is lower than the previous one, are you still instructed to look at the highest score? Or do you take into consideration that the most recent was lower than the previous one😣

1 hour ago, JDApplicant27 said:

Hi Ryn!

Just a quick question - If you have written the LSAT more than once, but your more recent score is lower than the previous one, are you still instructed to look at the highest score? Or do you take into consideration that the most recent was lower than the previous one😣

highest

1 hour ago, as22dhil said:

highest

Thank God lol

I understand in theory most schools are supposed to do that, but I wanted to know if it does affect their decision at all. 

Posted (edited)

I have terrible grades from a single semester at a previous university i attended which i later ended up dropping out of after the semester was over and enrolled in a different university the year after without transferring credits. Once you take into account all my grades on my transcript including the 4 credits from that semester my cgpa suffers and drops from 3.65-3.7 to 3.5 (i am currently in my 3rd year at different uni with a 3.65-3.7 overall cgpa in my current program with 3.75 L2), i am curious since Osgoode is a holistic school, would the upward trend make up for the below competitive cgpa ?

Edited by TimhortonsCup

On 11/2/2018 at 10:01 AM, Ryn said:

I can’t remember if I saw a file like that. I don’t think so. 

If I had seen something like that, I’d definitely have taken a look and strongly considered what you had to say, but I think demonstrated academic ability is more important than LSAT scores, and I do believe most of the other adcom members in my year felt the same. 

Hi Ryan, 

would you have taken a look with a 157 lsat and a sub 3.0 gpa if there were extenuating circumstances, a great deal of ECs, work experience in a firm and a masters following bachelors 

Hi Ryn,

I've applied for this cycle but if I don't get in I'm strongly considering going back to my undergrad university and enrolling as a non-degree student to take some undergrad courses to upgrade my CGPA. Would Osgoode count those courses in my CGPA calculation and do they look at the fact that I've gone back after a significant amount of time  negatively? (I finished my undergrad in 2015 and did a one-year masters in 2016-2017)

On 3/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, JDApplicant27 said:

Thank God lol

I understand in theory most schools are supposed to do that, but I wanted to know if it does affect their decision at all. 

I mean in theory it shouldn’t. Highest means highest. But I can’t speak for the biases of the individual adcom members. All I can say is that I, personally, didn’t take it into consideration and didn’t make a decision based on anything but the highest LSAT score. 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:14 PM, TimhortonsCup said:

I have terrible grades from a single semester at a previous university i attended which i later ended up dropping out of after the semester was over and enrolled in a different university the year after without transferring credits. Once you take into account all my grades on my transcript including the 4 credits from that semester my cgpa suffers and drops from 3.65-3.7 to 3.5 (i am currently in my 3rd year at different uni with a 3.65-3.7 overall cgpa in my current program with 3.75 L2), i am curious since Osgoode is a holistic school, would the upward trend make up for the below competitive cgpa ?

They probably would look at it, yes. Assuming other aspects of your application are good then I think a single poor semester, particularly at a whole different university, can likely be compensated for. Obviously lots depend on the applicant pool overall as to whether or not you’ll get in, but generally speaking your grades will be considered in the appropriate context. 

3 hours ago, Alexandrajmathieu said:

Hi Ryan, 

would you have taken a look with a 157 lsat and a sub 3.0 gpa if there were extenuating circumstances, a great deal of ECs, work experience in a firm and a masters following bachelors 

Unless you are a mature applicant with significant career experience, I don’t think your chances are very good. 

3 hours ago, LawHopeful6 said:

Hi Ryn,

I've applied for this cycle but if I don't get in I'm strongly considering going back to my undergrad university and enrolling as a non-degree student to take some undergrad courses to upgrade my CGPA. Would Osgoode count those courses in my CGPA calculation and do they look at the fact that I've gone back after a significant amount of time  negatively? (I finished my undergrad in 2015 and did a one-year masters in 2016-2017)

I believe OLSAS counts all undergraduate postsecondary in its cGPA calculation and that’s what Osgoode uses. Bear in mind that I don’t know this from OLSAS’s perspective for certain. 

Assuming that is true, I doubt they would look at you going back to university negatively. I certainly wouldn’t have. But I’d be interested in seeing a history of consistent high marks if you’ve gone back. One or two classes would not be that interesting to me.

Posted (edited)

Hi Ryn,

This is yet another “chances” question. I have a 3.61 cGPA from the University of Toronto with a very strong upward trend,  an LSAT score of 165, and good volunteer work. I am starting to get pretty stressed out about not receiving an offer of admission. At this point in the acceptance cycle, how do my chances look in your professional opinion? 

Thank you! :)

EDIT:  Also, I have been in the queue since November 15th, the date on which my application was received. 

Edited by Iamironman
  • Confused 1

So in response to a large number of people asking me chances questions in PM or via this thread, including @Iamironman above, I am not going to answer them here or in private. Sorry. 

This thread is for general questions about the admissions process and about how I looked at things when I was on the adcom, it’s not about what I would make of your very specific personal situation. Most of you asking are in the category of “you might be admitted depending on how the rest of your file looks” but that means my response is going to be highly subjective and thus probably useless to you. Plus, I cannot comment how I’d vote if I were I still on the committee without seeing your entire file, which I don’t want to see.

So please keep your questions away from very specific personal circumstances and instead keep them to areas that are generally helpful to everyone. And I ask you not to PM me chances questions either. Please use the General Discussion forum under the applicants section to make a chances thread if you haven’t already. 

Hi Ryn, I was wondering if for Osgoode, by this time, majority of offers have been sent out already or not. Osgoode is sort of my first choice and am thinking about transferring if I do not get in this cycle, so just wanted to know before I make any future plans. Would Osgoode send out another set of offers before April 1st?  

- How is someone who worked full-time while studying for LSATs viewed vs. someone who has no full-time work experience?

- How is LSAT improvement overtime looked at? (i.e. 10 point jump from first LSAT to next LSAT)

- How is an upward trend in cGPA viewed (i.e. grades consistently getting better with each year of undergrad degree, obviously creating a better B2/L2 but lower CGPA)

- How is one's undergraduate program looked at? (i.e. early childhood education major vs. criminology major, or communications major vs. engineering major, etc).

- Does employment matter? (i.e. How would you compare someone who works full time at a big law firm vs. someone who worked at McDonald's?)

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, sunshine59 said:

Hi Ryn, I was wondering if for Osgoode, by this time, majority of offers have been sent out already or not. Osgoode is sort of my first choice and am thinking about transferring if I do not get in this cycle, so just wanted to know before I make any future plans. Would Osgoode send out another set of offers before April 1st?  

I don’t know for certain, but I believe the majority of the offers will have gone out by mid to late April. There’s a deadline for acceptance of those offers, I think by early May, and after that they’ll start drawing from the wait list. Rejections will also start going out in April if they haven’t already. In my year they waited until around then; not sure what the policy is this year. 

4 hours ago, monnnnz said:

- How is someone who worked full-time while studying for LSATs viewed vs. someone who has no full-time work experience?

- How is LSAT improvement overtime looked at? (i.e. 10 point jump from first LSAT to next LSAT)

- How is an upward trend in cGPA viewed (i.e. grades consistently getting better with each year of undergrad degree, obviously creating a better B2/L2 but lower CGPA)

- How is one's undergraduate program looked at? (i.e. early childhood education major vs. criminology major, or communications major vs. engineering major, etc).

- Does employment matter? (i.e. How would you compare someone who works full time at a big law firm vs. someone who worked at McDonald's?)

Thanks! 

1) There is likely no difference. 

2) Level of improvement doesn’t matter so much as the actual score. Could be any reason for the upward trend, including a previous write going unusually terribly because of exigent circumstances.

3) I’ve never seen it matter and we were instructed that there isn’t a distinction. Personal biases of the adcom members notwithstanding, generally what program you are in doesn’t inform the committee’s decision.

4) I have not ever seen it matter and I can’t imagine it would, with the exception of for mature applicants. And even then it’s less about where you work but what you do and what you’ve accomplished.

5 hours ago, Ryn said:

So in response to a large number of people asking me chances questions in PM or via this thread, including @Iamironman above, I am not going to answer them here or in private. Sorry. 

This thread is for general questions about the admissions process and about how I looked at things when I was on the adcom, it’s not about what I would make of your very specific personal situation. Most of you asking are in the category of “you might be admitted depending on how the rest of your file looks” but that means my response is going to be highly subjective and thus probably useless to you. Plus, I cannot comment how I’d vote if I were I still on the committee without seeing your entire file, which I don’t want to see.

So please keep your questions away from very specific personal circumstances and instead keep them to areas that are generally helpful to everyone. And I ask you not to PM me chances questions either. Please use the General Discussion forum under the applicants section to make a chances thread if you haven’t already. 

Does the entire committee weight in on the decision to accept a student ? Does each committee member view the application or is a decision made by a select few or one individual on the committee? 

1 hour ago, Alexandrajmathieu said:

Does the entire committee weight in on the decision to accept a student ? Does each committee member view the application or is a decision made by a select few or one individual on the committee? 

If you read my first few posts in this thread, I have answered this question in some detail. 

Posted (edited)

Hi Ryn - I know that all grades are taken into consideration and calculated, but if some courses were taken during a term where it was part time, is it still weighed heavily?  Or just the courses taken during a full course load?

Also - How does the committee view transfer credits from another University and college marks?

thank you!

Edited by maturestudent909

Hi Ryn,

If the acceptance deadline for other schools is April 1st, why does Osgoode still hand out acceptances past that date?

I've been admitted to Western and was wondering what happens if I accept there.

Thanks for answering so many questions!

Hi Ryn,

I did a three year undergraduate degree at the University of Ottawa, and I was wondering if that would be looked negatively upon. I have been accepted to other schools in Ontario, however. Would you have considered it significantly detrimental to my application? Thanks so much for any response!

13 hours ago, maturestudent909 said:

Hi Ryn - I know that all grades are taken into consideration and calculated, but if some courses were taken during a term where it was part time, is it still weighed heavily?  Or just the courses taken during a full course load?

Also - How does the committee view transfer credits from another University and college marks?

thank you!

I think the part-time thing only matters if it’s consistently so. Like, if it took you 8 years to do an undergrad, it may count against you. As far as I’m aware, the adcom is not given specific instructions here, so I used my best judgement. In sum, I only cared about part-time terms if they were consistent and thus making your marks not likely to be reflective of performing well under a full course load. 

Also bear in mind there’s a difference between actually part-time and not having a full course load. 4 courses per term is still full-time. 

Grades from colleges were looked at but they are not a part of your cGPA. Transfer credits did not, at least for my team, negatively affect your chances. It did mean that you were expected to have performed really well in your two years of university, however, as that’s what your GPA will be derived from. 

Other university marks are counted as normal in your cGPA regardless of whether or not you graduated from said university. 

12 hours ago, maturestudent909 said:

Sorry and just one more question, how are summer credits viewed, if a full course load is taken?

I think they’re looked at like any other semester. I certainly did and we never were told to do otherwise, to my recollection. 

2 hours ago, Tytee said:

Hi Ryn,

If the acceptance deadline for other schools is April 1st, why does Osgoode still hand out acceptances past that date?

I've been admitted to Western and was wondering what happens if I accept there.

Thanks for answering so many questions!

I think the April 1 deadline is for offers made before April 1. There are plenty of schools that make offers in April, including Osgoode. 

If you accept at Western, your Osgoode application will be cancelled. If you want Oz, I suggest you provisionally accept Western and wait to see if you get an Osgoode offer. 

1 hour ago, jtwilky said:

Hi Ryn,

I did a three year undergraduate degree at the University of Ottawa, and I was wondering if that would be looked negatively upon. I have been accepted to other schools in Ontario, however. Would you have considered it significantly detrimental to my application? Thanks so much for any response!

No, three year degrees are not looked at negatively. The trouble typically comes from having only 3 years of marks, but if your grades are high enough it doesn’t (generally) matter that it’s only a three year degree.