Ryn

I used to be on the admissions committee. AMAA

On 1/4/2021 at 4:43 AM, HarveySpecter1997 said:

I'm not sure how many times Ryn has to say he can't comment on your individual stats...

@Ryn Happy new year! How does one apply and join the ad comm? I think its a cool opportunity to help the admissions team. Thanks for all you do!

Contact Student Caucus. There's normally 1-2 spots. SC members often get first dibs, but email the Vice Chair. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ZineZ said:

Contact Student Caucus. There's normally 1-2 spots. SC members often get first dibs, but email the Vice Chair. 

only available for upper year students?

4 hours ago, HarveySpecter1997 said:

only available for upper year students?

Not really typical to have a first year student on the committee. There's a decent time commitment that doesn't really gel with the hectic parts of 1L.

Plus I expect SC will want someone with a bit more Oz experience. 

Hello, 

I had a quick question. I'm currently awaiting to hear back from Osgoode as well as other schools for my application. I believe my situation is somewhat unique. I'm in the process of completing my last year at Guelph-Humber where I studied business. The reason why my situation is so unique is that I transferred from college, so at the moment I'd only have 20 university courses to submit with a cumulative GPA of 4.0 and I will be completing 8 more this semester. I received a 167 on the LSAT and I was told my personal statement was extremely well written. I just wanted to get some advice to see if my circumstance would be perceived as negative to the applications committee and if anyone has gotten in with a similar situation.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 3:39 PM, CorporatePenguin said:

The reason why my situation is so unique is that I transferred from college, so at the moment I'd only have 20 university courses to submit with a cumulative GPA of 4.0 and I will be completing 8 more this semester.

This is not unusual at all. I can't see how it would be perceived as a negative.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:43 AM, HarveySpecter1997 said:

Happy new year! How does one apply and join the ad comm? I think its a cool opportunity to help the admissions team. Thanks for all you do!

Like @ZineZ mentioned, Student Caucus manages the appointments to the committee. When I was around, there were only two slots for JD students and one for an LLM student, and there tends to be a lot of interest, so the positions are quite competitive. A 1L is likely not going to be considered, but if you are interested in being on the committee, I would certainly reach out in upper years.

• Like 1

Hi!

I have applied to Osgoode and a number of other Ontario Universities. 
I am from Quebec and currently completing my undergraduate degree at McGill (final year). I have thus far completed 2.5 years at McGill out of the total 3 years and have just submitted my most recent transcript. 
Will the fact that the admissions committee only has 2 years of grades from time as of right now impact when I will hear back (I.e. will they wait to get my grades from the Fall?)

Thanks!

Hey Ryn!

Was hoping to get your advice on this. My undergrad university (McMaster) uses a 12-point grading scale and as a result I totally miscalculated my cGPA (I did the conversion incorrectly and apparently this happens to a lot of students from my school, ugh). I submitted my Osgoode app thinking that I had a cGPA of 3.67, but when I saw a few weeks later on OLSAS that I actually have a 3.47, I nearly died. I had hired an admissions counselor because I was on the fence about whether or not to fill out the "performance considerations" section of the app. I had a few withdrawals on my transcript (I have a disability which began in third year and affected my third and fourth year scheduling, my grades were good but I took 3 courses per semester rather than 5). My counselor said (thinking I had a 3.67), "your GPA is good so don't bring attention to something that's not broken". I assumed he knew better than I did and followed his advice - I'm now realizing that this was a horrible mistake. My question is, is there anything that I can do? Do I call the admissions department to explain the situation and ask if they'd allow me to fill out the performance considerations, or would this only further ruin my chances of getting in?

Stats: cGPA 3.47- L2 3.57 - B2/B3 3.77 - LSAT 160 

Thank you!

On 2/15/2021 at 10:40 PM, missanxiety said:

Hey Ryn!

Was hoping to get your advice on this. My undergrad university (McMaster) uses a 12-point grading scale and as a result I totally miscalculated my cGPA (I did the conversion incorrectly and apparently this happens to a lot of students from my school, ugh). I submitted my Osgoode app thinking that I had a cGPA of 3.67, but when I saw a few weeks later on OLSAS that I actually have a 3.47, I nearly died. I had hired an admissions counselor because I was on the fence about whether or not to fill out the "performance considerations" section of the app. I had a few withdrawals on my transcript (I have a disability which began in third year and affected my third and fourth year scheduling, my grades were good but I took 3 courses per semester rather than 5). My counselor said (thinking I had a 3.67), "your GPA is good so don't bring attention to something that's not broken". I assumed he knew better than I did and followed his advice - I'm now realizing that this was a horrible mistake. My question is, is there anything that I can do? Do I call the admissions department to explain the situation and ask if they'd allow me to fill out the performance considerations, or would this only further ruin my chances of getting in?

Stats: cGPA 3.47- L2 3.57 - B2/B3 3.77 - LSAT 160 

Thank you!

You can always call and ask if you can amend your personal statement or complete a Part B, but I suspect their answer will be no. I did not hear of someone being able to do that when I was on the committee.

3 hours ago, Ryn said:

You can always call and ask if you can amend your personal statement or complete a Part B, but I suspect their answer will be no. I did not hear of someone being able to do that when I was on the committee.

Thank you so much for the advice!! Do you think doing so would affect my chances? For example, if they were to say yes, would they be like oh this is that idiot who miscalculated her GPA, *decline*, lol!? 

27 minutes ago, missanxiety said:

Thank you so much for the advice!! Do you think doing so would affect my chances? For example, if they were to say yes, would they be like oh this is that idiot who miscalculated her GPA, *decline*, lol!? 

I can't imagine that to be the case.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:22 PM, applicant2345 said:

Hey Ryn,

Any tips for getting in off the waitlist? or is there nothing one can do but just wait lol 

thanks

Correct, all you can do is wait.

Hi Ryn, on what basis does Osgoode grant interviews to applicants?

Do admissions committees place any weight on an applicant's undergraduate degree? I understand that officially, most (if not all) state that what undergraduate degree you've taken makes no difference. However, in application this is a little ridiculous, as a 3.5 cGPA from an Economics or Engineering discipline is likely to be harder to attain than a 3.5 in say classics, or basket-weaving.  

Are these taken into consideration at all, even if informally, or is it purely trial by numbers?

8 hours ago, bakeztheman said:

Do admissions committees place any weight on an applicant's undergraduate degree? I understand that officially, most (if not all) state that what undergraduate degree you've taken makes no difference. However, in application this is a little ridiculous, as a 3.5 cGPA from an Economics or Engineering discipline is likely to be harder to attain than a 3.5 in say classics, or basket-weaving.  

Are these taken into consideration at all, even if informally, or is it purely trial by numbers?

Basketweaving sounds easy until you actually have to weave a basket. And no, no weight is given to your undergraduate degree at any school with the exception of UofT.  I'd also counsel you against disparaging people's majors here. I majored in math and economics and have a cousin who majored in classics -- her degree was harder than mine to me just based on the sheer fact that she had to learn 2 dead languages, as well as French and German, but she would have probably struggled with real analysis. On average, yes some degrees are harder than others, however people have different strengths and it wouldn't be wise of law schools to discount stellar students just because they were taught something that isn't classically seen as rigourous. 

• Like 11

11 hours ago, GoblinKing said:

Basketweaving sounds easy until you actually have to weave a basket. And no, no weight is given to your undergraduate degree at any school with the exception of UofT.  I'd also counsel you against disparaging people's majors here. I majored in math and economics and have a cousin who majored in classics -- her degree was harder than mine to me just based on the sheer fact that she had to learn 2 dead languages, as well as French and German, but she would have probably struggled with real analysis. On average, yes some degrees are harder than others, however people have different strengths and it wouldn't be wise of law schools to discount stellar students just because they were taught something that isn't classically seen as rigourous. 

Wasn't disparaging any degrees, not even classic. I'm well aware that brilliant students can be found in nearly every discipline and that each contains different strengths and weakenesses, which is why it makes sense to have some type of equalization system between them. But grade distributions skew drastically among degree types, and you can't tell me there isn't some type of barrier/unfairness there. I personally know many people who would potentially do well in law school and could get in, but because they opted to do a more rigorous degree wouldn't be considered for admission. To a certain extent, that policy incentivizes students to take easier discplines that they either: a) don't really care that much about,  or b) have much lower practical use if you don't get into law school.  If the goal of the LSAT is to have a standardized test to gauge people's differing abilities, then the policy of equalizing degree types is a bit redundant, and penalizes students who opt to go the harder route. 

It should also be noted that I'm not talking about the tail-end of the distributions here, student with 4.0-4.3's would likely do well in most degree types. But two student with equal grades may fall in completely different ends of the distribution, that's the issue. Stellar students will usually always be stellar students. 

Edited by bakeztheman
  • Like 1

I don't know if this has been asked before but, do adcomms compare your applications between the years? Will they reference your application from a previous year if you re-apply a later cycle?

Does provisionally accepting an offer alter my chances at another law school? I have a couple of offers, and I would like to provisionally accept one of them soon. However, I still have applications pending, and I don't know (1) if the schools where I have pending applications will be able to tell if I have provisionally accepted another offer, and (2) whether this would affect their decision anyway.

I am not sure if this has been asked recently, but I am sure there are others wondering the same thing.