Ryn

I used to be on the admissions committee. AMAA

@Ryn Can you give your thoughts on my situation? Similar to the poster above, I am trying to get into law school with a 3 year degree. I graduated 12 years ago, so 4th year is not an option.

I have the added negative factor of also having used college transfer credits as part of an articulation agreement to get my degree. So I only have 16 university courses.

On the other hand, I have positive factors relating to work experience. 9 years teaching at an accredited Ontario College. Business owner with several seasonal employees.

3.95+ OLSAS across university and even better college grades.

All of this is described in detail in my other thread.

If anyone here has any experience with a situation like mine, please let me know.

8 hours ago, SNAILS said:

@Ryn Can you give your thoughts on my situation? Similar to the poster above, I am trying to get into law school with a 3 year degree. I graduated 12 years ago, so 4th year is not an option.

I have the added negative factor of also having used college transfer credits as part of an articulation agreement to get my degree. So I only have 16 university courses.

On the other hand, I have positive factors relating to work experience. 9 years teaching at an accredited Ontario College. Business owner with several seasonal employees.

3.95+ OLSAS across university and even better college grades.

All of this is described in detail in my other thread.

If anyone here has any experience with a situation like mine, please let me know.

So here's the thing - I know that you're unsure of your application package, but you're a stronger applicant than you think. Over the past few years, there's been a move at Osgoode to include more mature students. There's a belief (that I strongly endorse) that mature students add a lot of value to the student body and are often excellent lawyers. And so mature student applications are looked upon well.

As was mentioned in the other thread - you may want to reach out to Osgoode directly if you're worried about if you have enough credits (I don't think it's an issue, but this is not my area of expertise). Make sure that your PS is focused on your experiences working/teaching/running a business and why they would both help you in the profession/why they made you passionate for a career in law. And try to expound on what you would add to the student body at Osgoode.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Ryn

I would like to begin by thanking you! You have answered an incredible amount of questions on this thread, and speaking as an applicant, they have been very useful for me! 

I do have a question as well. I completed my four year undergrad already, but "missed" one semester. I am using quotations as I was actually completing a co-op term, but ended up dropping out of the program. I finished on time by taking two night classes (one during the summer and one during that co-op term) and three in the summer (online, through Athabasca, which I have provided a transcript for) before my fourth year. This is semi-clear over my transcript; every semester until that one says I was in co-op (including the mention of a past co-op term completed in the summer) and it does say for that semester that I was in co-op. However, after that semester, it no longer mentions that I am in co-op. 

My concern is: should I clarify that I dropped out of co-op in my personal statement? How confusing can a transcript like this be for the Admissions Committee? I did with other schools, but with Osgoode only being 4000 characters, it has been trickier to fit it in to my statement. Also, my marks were relatively unaffected and I received all A/A-'s in these night/summer courses. I guess I am just worried about what that missing semester looks like to an Admissions Committee. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jake

Edited by bekindbecalmbesafe

Hi Ryn, 

I am in the process of writing my personal statement, and I have got a varied of responses with regard to how I should go on about structuring in. As might be the case with some applicants, I have faced a lot of obstacles in my life that I have had to overcome. I emigrated from a war-torn country where I witnessed a lot of corruption and violence, and further had a difficult time integrating into the Canadian society due to my background, and also went through severe depression and anxiety. While I wanted to highlight this journey of mine and demonstrate what it has taught me and how I am stronger today because of it, I was told not to highlight such stuff as it comes off as seeking sympathy (which of course is not my goal) and because many applicants go through the same thing so it does not come off as something unique. But should that really matter if these have been the things that I have experienced? Is there anything you would suggest? In other words, if you were still on the admissions committee, how would you see my application? 

Hi Ryn,

I have a PhD in Chem Eng, and undergrad GPA of 3.87, 3.92 last two years (Rank 1st in my class) and an LSAT of 157. I obviously have many publications (16), had a prestigious national scholarship (Vanier, 12 other awards) and have worked for two years in medical device sector. My PS was aimed towards IP law and nothing else.

I have only applied to Osgood and Ottawa.

I had little time to study for LSAT and I know my LSAT sucks for Osgood, but where would that 10 years of education in Engineering, pubs, work, undergrad GPA, Immigration would put me? I work full time and have a family and putting the time for LSAT is very hard.

If my LSAT absolutely sucks and I decided to redo, is January LSAT going to help me or I have to re-apply again next year?

8 minutes ago, DoctorLaw said:

Hi Ryn,

I have a PhD in Chem Eng, and undergrad GPA of 3.87, 3.92 last two years (Rank 1st in my class) and an LSAT of 157. I obviously have many publications (16), had a prestigious national scholarship (Vanier, 12 other awards) and have worked for two years in medical device sector. My PS was aimed towards IP law and nothing else.

I have only applied to Osgood and Ottawa.

I had little time to study for LSAT and I know my LSAT sucks for Osgood, but where would that 10 years of education in Engineering, pubs, work, undergrad GPA, Immigration would put me? I work full time and have a family and putting the time for LSAT is very hard.

If my LSAT absolutely sucks and I decided to redo, is January LSAT going to help me or I have to re-apply again next year?

OP you are 100% in Ottawa and have very good chance for Osgoode.

Ryn, do you agree? 

30 minutes ago, DoctorLaw said:

I have a PhD in Chem Eng, and undergrad GPA of 3.87, 3.92 last two years (Rank 1st in my class) and an LSAT of 157. I obviously have many publications (16), had a prestigious national scholarship (Vanier, 12 other awards) and have worked for two years in medical device sector.

OP you also have a shoot at UofT with a strong PS.

1 hour ago, NeverGiveUp said:

OP you also have a shoot at UofT with a strong PS.

Appreciate your swift reply on this. I unfortunately submitted my application and the OLSAS portal shows processing so I can't add new choices before the deadline. I gave them a call since I was filled with regret that why I did not apply to Queen's, but they said sorry, when its processing you can't modify anything.

4 minutes ago, DoctorLaw said:

Appreciate your swift reply on this. I unfortunately submitted my application and the OLSAS portal shows processing so I can't add new choices before the deadline. I gave them a call since I was filled with regret that why I did not apply to Queen's, but they said sorry, when its processing you can't modify anything.

Contact Queen's and UofT directly. They may be able to help you out.

Edited by NeverGiveUp

12 minutes ago, DoctorLaw said:

Here you go:

https://law.queensu.ca/sites/default/files/files/JD Forms/2019 Queen's Late Application Request Form.pdf

29 minutes ago, DoctorLaw said:

Thanks for this, got an extension to submit my application.

👍

Hi Ryn,

Thanks a lot for the information! I was wondering - if an applicant's highest LSAT is not the last test they've written and the last test they wrote was a few points lower than their highest, how much (if at all) would this affect their admission chances? I know that the schools say they take highest LSAT, but I was wondering if this situation would be looked down upon. 

Thanks!!!

Do individuals with significantly low LSAT scores (in the 140s) get accepted? I am asking because I see individuals with significant low CGPA's get accepted (around 3.3) but rarely the other way around....why is that?

Wouldn't your CGPA's be more reflective of your ability to succeed in a school environment rather than your LSAT score?

By the way for more context, my CGPA is 3.76, B2/L2 is 3.88. I am in my fourth year.

I get my LSAT score this Tuesday but I most likely scored in the 140s-low 150s.

I do have a good personal statement and I come from a diverse background.

My only real issue is the LSAT....and for some reason I never see individuals with a low LSAT score like mine, get accepted into Osgoode....any insight on this?