Ryn

I used to be on the admissions committee. AMAA

Hi Ryn,

I had a question about the joint JD/MES program that's offered at Osgoode. When I first heard of this program I got really excited as it was combining my interest in law with my interest in science. I'm in fourth year of a biology undergrad and I have a ton of research experience so I'm pretty confident I could get into the MES program without too much of an issue. I'm mainly looking at Western/Queens because first and second year science courses like organic chemistry demolished my cGPA. I don't really have a good excuse for the low early grades other than the courses were super super difficult, so I know I'm not a super competitive applicant for osgoode (cgpa 3.59 *confident it'll go up a bit once fourth year marks come in/lsat 163). My marks show a massive upwards trend but I'm still not holding out hope for osgoode. 

My main question is if you have any idea if applying for the JS/MES program (and then getting into MES early on) would help my chances for admission. My main pitch in my personal statement is passion for environmental law and I have a bunch of ecology research experience working with endangered species to back it up. While the JD/MES program seems super enticing, I don't necessarily know if it's something I wanna sign up for due to the loss of my summers + the extra year. It would make my decision a lot easier if i knew how much of an impact (if at all) the dual degree would have on my chances of admission. 

Thank you!!

On 9/18/2020 at 11:38 PM, EnviroLaw22 said:

Hi Ryn,

I had a question about the joint JD/MES program that's offered at Osgoode. When I first heard of this program I got really excited as it was combining my interest in law with my interest in science. I'm in fourth year of a biology undergrad and I have a ton of research experience so I'm pretty confident I could get into the MES program without too much of an issue. I'm mainly looking at Western/Queens because first and second year science courses like organic chemistry demolished my cGPA. I don't really have a good excuse for the low early grades other than the courses were super super difficult, so I know I'm not a super competitive applicant for osgoode (cgpa 3.59 *confident it'll go up a bit once fourth year marks come in/lsat 163). My marks show a massive upwards trend but I'm still not holding out hope for osgoode. 

My main question is if you have any idea if applying for the JS/MES program (and then getting into MES early on) would help my chances for admission. My main pitch in my personal statement is passion for environmental law and I have a bunch of ecology research experience working with endangered species to back it up. While the JD/MES program seems super enticing, I don't necessarily know if it's something I wanna sign up for due to the loss of my summers + the extra year. It would make my decision a lot easier if i knew how much of an impact (if at all) the dual degree would have on my chances of admission. 

Thank you!!

@Ryn may remember differently - but the admission requirements are *not* easier just because you're going for the MES. And it won't have a unilateral impact on your chances of getting in. That being said, a 3.59 - when combined with a good personal statement (the endangered species pitch is great, I didn't really see any of those) - still gives you a fair shot. You could very well make for a decent chance.

I would also like to note that do not go for the MES if you don't want it. Law school is incredibly tough without adding in an additional work if you don't actually have interest in the additional degree you're going for. 

On 9/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, tiptoemaster said:

Hi Ryn.

Would love to get your opinion on my application and prospects of getting into Osgoode.

cgpa = 3.26
B2 = 3.65
L2 = 3.48

Post-grad studies: 3.94 CGPA

Good softs, RCs, decent ECs, will spend a create deal of focus on selling myself on personal statement! Moreover, it is evident that my GPA is not competitive, should I go into explanation why? Explanation for grades: terrible first year, didn't get a handle on things until 2-4 year. Or should I focus on my strengths? How creative can I be? Format and structure of PS?

writing first LSAT in Jan, cold test scored 158 (have some previous experience with logic in undergrad). Thank you!

Thank you Ryn!

1) Your undergrad isn't great - but your post-grad will absolutely be looked at positively. I've seen explanation for grades, but I don't know if I'd necessarily give an explanation unless it's extenuating circumstances...especially as your L2 were a 3.48.

I'm quite conflicted. You could very briefly touch on how your understanding of academia/studying strategies or something else changed during your post-grad. IE draw attention more to your post-grad than undergrad here. 

PS - Hi ya'll! I post in this forum sometimes, but I'm definitely less active than the wonderful @Ryn. We were both on AdComm during our times at Osgoode - so I try to help out once in a bit :). 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

@Ryn may remember differently - but the admission requirements are *not* easier just because you're going for the MES. And it won't have a unilateral impact on your chances of getting in. That being said, a 3.59 - when combined with a good personal statement (the endangered species pitch is great, I didn't really see any of those) - still gives you a fair shot. You could very well make for a decent chance.

I would also like to note that do not go for the MES if you don't want it. Law school is incredibly tough without adding in an additional work if you don't actually have interest in the additional degree you're going for. 

Wow thanks so much! You've given me a lot to think about. I really appreciate the advice!

Hi Ryn or ZineZ!,

I'm wondering if during your time there was a number of transfer students from the UK/AUS joining 2L? 

14 minutes ago, RJar said:

Hi Ryn or ZineZ!,

I'm wondering if during your time there was a number of transfer students from the UK/AUS joining 2L? 

I never saw a UK/AUS transfer student. Exchange students, yes. But no transfers. 

Hi Ryn or ZineZ!

Have you had any applicants with more than one undergraduate degree? I completed a second undergraduate degree, and did significantly better in the second, than in the first. How would this be evaluated by Osgoode?

21 hours ago, ChasingJD said:

Hi Ryn or ZineZ!

Have you had any applicants with more than one undergraduate degree? I completed a second undergraduate degree, and did significantly better in the second, than in the first. How would this be evaluated by Osgoode?

Second would likely be weighed more heavily than the first. It's your most recent experience and shows improvement in your ability to perform academically. 

30 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

Second would likely be weighed more heavily than the first. It's your most recent experience and shows improvement in your ability to perform academically. 

I am not aware that OZ will consider a second undergrad degree.

22 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

I emailed back in 2017 and I was told, "Osgoode looks at the cGPA of all post secondary transcripts"

Hi Ryn (and ZineZ)

Just a question about your thoughts on filling out Part B of the application. I'm a first generation citizen from two under-represented minorities in the legal profession (mixed-race) and I have some things to say about how this impacts my perspective on the law and, generally, the world. (None of this affected my academic performance however).

Do either of you think this is a sufficient justification for filing Part B under diversity? My stats are competitive (3.83cGPA and 166 LSAT), and I don't want to fill it out unnecessarily if my reason for filling it doesn't seem 'substantial enough' (esp. if that could that harm my application?). 

On 9/23/2020 at 10:51 PM, Luckycharm said:

They will consider a second degree in most circumstances, but the consideration is in the aggregate, unless the applicant is a mature student, and the second degree was more recent, in which case I think it's likely the first degree would be heavily discounted if it was from a long time ago.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:48 PM, undertheletter said:

I'm a first generation citizen from two under-represented minorities in the legal profession (mixed-race) and I have some things to say about how this impacts my perspective on the law and, generally, the world. (None of this affected my academic performance however).

Do either of you think this is a sufficient justification for filing Part B under diversity? My stats are competitive (3.83cGPA and 166 LSAT), and I don't want to fill it out unnecessarily if my reason for filling it doesn't seem 'substantial enough' (esp. if that could that harm my application?). 

I think you certainly can and you should. Osgoode strives to have a diverse class and the more variety in lived experiences and backgrounds there are in applicants the better. Obviously it won't guarantee you a seat, or likely even substantially help you (given the relative strength of the rest of your application), but it won't hurt, in my view.

• Like 1

Hi Ryn! 

I was hoping to get some insight into how the admission committee would view my extenuating circumstances. Basically, I had struggled in school my entire life and early on my teachers had suggested to my parents I likely had ADHD and I should undergo some kind of assessment, but they chalked it up to childhood hyperactivity and it was never really touched on again. I struggled academically throughout highschool and attributed it to lack of ability/interest/motivation. After doing so poorly in my first two years of undergrad (3.0) I expressed my frustrations to my GP (how I pretty much thought I would have to abandon my goals of becoming a lawyer) and she referred me to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADHD and I began taking medication and undergoing treatment which I continue today. I went on to finish my fourth year with a 3.7 and got a 176 on my LSAT without any accommodations. I know that there is a stigma around ADHD and medication with university students so I would appreciate any insight into my situation that you could offer! 

Hey y'all - I've been tossing up the idea of shooting my shot at Oz, but I'm a little unclear as to how Part B in the personal statement works. I do have something I could put there, but it's not an Access claim per se (I have no documentation, even if I wanted to go that route). Can General applicants fill out Part B?

7 hours ago, app145 said:

Hi Ryn! 

I was hoping to get some insight into how the admission committee would view my extenuating circumstances. Basically, I had struggled in school my entire life and early on my teachers had suggested to my parents I likely had ADHD and I should undergo some kind of assessment, but they chalked it up to childhood hyperactivity and it was never really touched on again. I struggled academically throughout highschool and attributed it to lack of ability/interest/motivation. After doing so poorly in my first two years of undergrad (3.0) I expressed my frustrations to my GP (how I pretty much thought I would have to abandon my goals of becoming a lawyer) and she referred me to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADHD and I began taking medication and undergoing treatment which I continue today. I went on to finish my fourth year with a 3.7 and got a 176 on my LSAT without any accommodations. I know that there is a stigma around ADHD and medication with university students so I would appreciate any insight into my situation that you could offer! 

I would absolutely mention those circumstances in your application. It will be taken into account - especially as you were able to show significant improvement after your diagnosis. I dealt with several applications which had similar circumstances and recommended admits in some. I generally wouldn't worry about any stigma attached to an ADHD diagnosis with Oz - I worked closely with administration in a number of roles (including mental health/wellness related ones) and have a lot of respect for how they handle previous mental health diagnoses/in terms of providing accommodations. 

6 hours ago, lh22 said:

Hey y'all - I've been tossing up the idea of shooting my shot at Oz, but I'm a little unclear as to how Part B in the personal statement works. I do have something I could put there, but it's not an Access claim per se (I have no documentation, even if I wanted to go that route). Can General applicants fill out Part B?

I may be misunderstanding the question, but yes you can fill out Part B. 

1 hour ago, Surgence said:

I was just wondering how rare it is for a 3rd year (out of 4) applicant to get in?

Not common, but not rare. If your GPA/LSAT is strong enough - you can absolutely pull it off. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 3:35 AM, ZineZ said:

Not common, but not rare. If your GPA/LSAT is strong enough - you can absolutely pull it off. 

@Ryn Not sure if you can/would be willing to answer this, but would a 3.92 cGPA and a 162 LSAT be competitive for a third year applicant that would be graduating with a three year degree if accepted?