Notnotadog

What was it like getting in? How did you celebrate?

I got the call from Jiffan, posted a one liner on Facebook and went back to alternating studying for December exams and playing Call of Duty.

• Like 1

I drafted my resignation letter for my job and handed it in. Enjoyed the last 2 months of summer.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 4

I definitely didn't get any work done the rest of the day. I opened the email after a fairly significant and frustrating operations meeting, and all my stress from the meeting just evaporated. The feeling was almost euphoric, and also a bit surreal. I told a couple co-workers and we went for an early celebratory lunch that spanned most of the afternoon as well.  When my acceptance for the 2nd school I'd applied to came a few weeks later, it was basically old news. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 11:25 AM, Hegdis said:

Most of all I remember the thrill of endless opportunities that seemed to stretch out before me. I had no clue what I was doing. It was exhilarating.

Sadly, the first bit fades, the middle part gets worse, and the last part is hit and miss day to day!

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2018 at 2:24 AM, canuckfanatic said:

I drafted my resignation letter for my job and handed it in. Enjoyed the last 2 months of summer.

Big time players make big time plays!

• Like 2

On 10/20/2018 at 4:00 AM, Diplock said:

Oh my God, I'm glad someone finally said it because I wasn't sure if I should share my own story. That woman from Admissions was Jiffan. I don't know if she's still there. I didn't know who she was when she called me but eventually I did figure it out while I was attending. She did the same damn thing to me - only moreso. It's like she was personally offended that I didn't run around screaming that I got in. This was one (among many) early signals that there might be a disconnect between my attitude towards law school and legal culture and U of T's view of itself. I wasn't wrong.

I think I waited several days before even telling anyone else. It was a personal experience and not one I was eager to share. Also, just as Hoju said, the real weight was receiving my LSAT score. Not to be a jerk about it, but once I had my LSAT, combined with my GPA and other stuff, I pretty much knew I was attending any Canadian law school I wanted. Which is exactly why I gave Jiffan the whole "well, thanks for letting me know" routine. In hindsight, had I known more about her, I would have really screwed with her and told her I was considering an offer from Cooley or something.

She sounds like a nightmare. 

The admissions person from Osgoode several years ago was equally as rude. I turned down their offer to go to a different school and their tone was basically like "people don't reject us...unless it's for UofT. Why wouldn't you want to go to our school?". Well lady, I can go to a school for a third of the price in a much better location and won't be forced to live with my parents, and I'll still get a good education. They turned into a real "nice guy" after that rejection. 

That was off topic, sorry. So much of becoming a lawyer is waiting for results- the LSAT, getting in to law school, law school grades, interviews, job offers (summer, articling, hireback), bar exam results. There's something kind of thrilling about that nervous energy of waiting to open the results (well, check the website).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was travelling in Europe for just over a month. At that point, I had gotten accepted at a few schools, and had even accepted one (I paid the deposit and everything).

Then, during the fourth week of my travels, I got a call from my mother where it was casually mentioned that I had gotten a letter from Osgoode a week or two prior. I asked what the letter was and she told me that she hadn't opened it, because it was addressed to me. It was an acceptance letter which, by that date, I had less than a week to reply to. 

So there I was, in Germany, making multiple phone calls to Osgoode to explain that I wanted  to accept the offer, but that they would have to wait for their money. Thankfully, they understood and let me make my deposit payments late. 

After getting that all sorted, I was just ecstatic and celebrated at one of Munich's finest beer halls. :drinkers:

• Like 1

I had actually pretty much given up on being accepted by the time I got in. I was a joke of an undergrad student and had pretty well made up my mind that I was either going to stick around for a fifth year, or go do a masters somewhere. There was a job I had really wanted for a couple years and an opening had come up unexpectedly for a one year contract and I was offered the job. I had 24 hours to make a decision and was about to go accept the job when I checked OLSAS one last time and had been accepted. I called my parents and my girlfriend, who were all excited for me, and I hastily made the decision to decline the job offer and go to law school. I was really excited and there were plenty of drinks had that night. It was basically a massive success in a sea of failures for me, so it felt really good. 

I often think about how different my life would be now if I had taken the job and waited longer before going to law school, despite knowing how unproductive those thoughts are. It was a massive decision and one I don't think I was completely ready to make. I think taking some time and sorting my thoughts out probably would have done me a lot of good. 

4 hours ago, azure said:

She sounds like a nightmare. 

The admissions person from Osgoode several years ago was equally as rude. I turned down their offer to go to a different school and their tone was basically like "people don't reject us...unless it's for UofT. Why wouldn't you want to go to our school?". Well lady, I can go to a school for a third of the price in a much better location and won't be forced to live with my parents, and I'll still get a good education. They turned into a real "nice guy" after that rejection. 

That was off topic, sorry. So much of becoming a lawyer is waiting for results- the LSAT, getting in to law school, law school grades, interviews, job offers (summer, articling, hireback), bar exam results. There's something kind of thrilling about that nervous energy of waiting to open the results (well, check the website).

...and as a lawyer. Waiting for judges’ decisions, waiting for legal aid approval, waiting for clients to show up, waiting for Crowns to get back to you...

5 hours ago, whoknows said:

I had actually pretty much given up on being accepted by the time I got in. I was a joke of an undergrad student and had pretty well made up my mind that I was either going to stick around for a fifth year, or go do a masters somewhere. There was a job I had really wanted for a couple years and an opening had come up unexpectedly for a one year contract and I was offered the job. I had 24 hours to make a decision and was about to go accept the job when I checked OLSAS one last time and had been accepted. I called my parents and my girlfriend, who were all excited for me, and I hastily made the decision to decline the job offer and go to law school. I was really excited and there were plenty of drinks had that night. It was basically a massive success in a sea of failures for me, so it felt really good. 

I often think about how different my life would be now if I had taken the job and waited longer before going to law school, despite knowing how unproductive those thoughts are. It was a massive decision and one I don't think I was completely ready to make. I think taking some time and sorting my thoughts out probably would have done me a lot of good. 

It's crazy to think about how if the decision was made one day later you might be in a completely different career path!

It was a bittersweet day for sure... 

I had been checking the student portal of my preferred school for days and just happened to see the "admitted " status while watching an episode of suits or some other legal show (cliche i know). i just yelled out " i got in to law  school" , and my mom immediately came to my side and  tightly gripped my shoulder  ( as a sign of pride) as she looked over at the letter of acceptance on my screen. there wasn't much of  celebration per say , but i was proud to tell people that i had gotten accepted and i feel like that feeling was reciprocated by my entire family when they found out . 

it was bittersweet in the sense that the acceptance came off the heels of 2 mediocre lsat scores and rejection at  nearly all the common law institutions i had applied to . 

However , I had been accepted into all of the french language civil law programs i had applied to , including Ottawa , which had been my  preferred school from day one in the event that common-law didn't work out . 

Im still in law school at the moment so i cant appreciate the magnitude  of my decision to take the civil law route , but i knew that as soon as i chose that path id be closing off all other opportunities in my first language, which might damn my legal career as I'm not fully bilingual . 

having said that , i now relish the opportunity to study in 2 languages  despite the fact that  ill have extra barriers to overcome should i want to practice outside Quebec. 

hope it all works out. 

Edited by lawgic1

I'm thrilled to now be able to share my own acceptance story! I got the Osgoode email at home with my parents while my mother was on the phone with my grandmother. Ideal timing. Spent the rest of the day on cloud 9, then went out with friends and spent way too much at the bar. Acceptance came about a week after a rough breakup so it was perfectly timed. :)

• Like 1

I created an account just to post this story because it makes me so happy.

By way of background I’m a law clerk originally and my lawyer has been instrumental to getting me here, he has paid for my undergrad and has given me as much flexibility as I need with my hours to go to classes.

i was at the office when I got the email from Osgoode two weeks ago, my boss wasn’t in yet so I printed it off, taped a copy to his laptop and went back to work. This semester I’m only in one day a week so he usually comes straight to visit me first and catch up before going into his office. 

This time fate was on my side because he came in and said “let’s go back to my office” he went around the corner to his office and I walked in slowly so he would have time to read it before I got there.

If you’ve ever watched those Facebook videos of someone finding out they are going to be a dad, that look of surprise and pride? Exactly like that, except instead of a young first time dad it was a 72yr old man. He shook my hand three times that day, which is probably the closest to a hug most people who know him have ever encountered.

i had to kick another lawyer out of my office because he kept coming in just to look at me and kiss me on the head. (Not creepily, he is my best friend and probably one of two people in the world who would be able to do that and remain intact)

As for my own emotions, later that day I forgot how to breathe while standing in line at MosMos

• Like 3