Notnotadog

What was it like getting in? How did you celebrate?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this (sorry in advance if it isn’t), but application season is stressful and it would be lovely to hear some happy stories and experiences.

It was May after undergrad. I was in Naples on my first trip overseas. I couldn’t celebrate because my then gf, who I was traveling with (and later broke up with during that trip), hadn’t gotten into any law schools yet (and never would). But I remember the feeling. It was pure euphoria - all of the anxiety and uncertainty just melted away and exposed a contentment that, at least for a few months, I was in the exact career position that I had always hoped for. If I had a choice between that feeling of acceptance or the high of great ecstasy, I’d choose getting into law school a fair amount of the time. 

• Like 2

I decided that I wouldn't tell my family I had applied to law school unless and until I got accepted. So at the next family gathering after my acceptance, I handed out copies of my acceptance letter, face down. I had everyone turn it over and read it at the same time, and I recorded their reaction on video. They were surprised, and happy for me, when they found out I was going to be a lawyer.

I just rewatched the video. I'm so glad I recorded it. Even all these years later, it's still a priceless moment.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, prohacvice said:

I decided that I wouldn't tell my family I had applied to law school unless and until I got accepted. So at the next family gathering after my acceptance, I handed out copies of my acceptance letter, face down. I had everyone turn it over and read it at the same time, and I recorded their reaction on video. They were surprised, and happy for me, when they found out I was going to be a lawyer.

I just rewatched the video. I'm so glad I recorded it. Even all these years later, it's still a priceless moment.

That's awesome! 

I don't remember getting the acceptance email. But I do recall being anxious when my LSAT results were posted. I think I was half-way through a bottle of bourbon, solo. Then, when I saw the score email, I knew I could go to any school I wanted. That was a little surreal for a few days.

• Like 2

I remember logging into the university's system, expecting to see "under consideration" or whatever it was again, and instead seeing you have been Admitted (yes in bold). Silent moment of shock and happiness. Then, gotta admit, a post on facebook and then a call to my family. Best feeling ever (and to-date still the most likes that I've ever got on a facebook post too I think lol). 

• Like 2

I remember being stressed because I was immediately accepted at one school, local to where I was living at the time, and my then-partner was assuming I would go. 

I did not want to go there and I wasn’t sure I wanted to stay in the relationship. 

When I got accepted at Queens I was so relieved. It was a chance to travel and be on my own and it was a very reasonable excuse to break things off amicably. 

Most of all I remember the thrill of endless opportunities that seemed to stretch out before me. I had no clue what I was doing. It was exhilarating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

I don't remember getting the acceptance email. But I do recall being anxious when my LSAT results were posted. I think I was half-way through a bottle of bourbon, solo. Then, when I saw the score email, I knew I could go to any school I wanted. That was a little surreal for a few days.

I had a similar experience. I had studied while working full-time over the summer last year and I was resigned to re-taking based on my practice tests by September. I know many people re-take, but I had put in a considerable amount of work and was beating myself up over it. I ended up getting the score while sitting at an academic event and I ran to the nearest bathroom and locked myself in a stall then opened it. I felt immediate relief when I realized that my score was higher than I anticipated and that I wouldn't need to think about the LSAT ever again. Pure bliss. 

• Like 1

I cried when I saw the email. Not only was I in, but I was getting a scholarship that eliminated my worries about tuition.

I got the e-mail the day before I left to perform at a theatre festival in Toronto, with my baby in tow. I told the rest of my cast and they took me out for dinner and drinks in Toronto after our first rehearsal and we walked around the city talking, with baby in a stroller. I was staying with relatives there, and they also took me out for dinner when they found out.

I remember it being bittersweet. I was sad because I knew I would be living my strange, wonderful, mercurial life in the arts, but I was happy because I would be able to work in one place, provide for the needs of my child, and be accepted into my family finally as a grown-up rather than a hippie bohemian. I had visions of saving the world, but most of all I was just relieved that I had been judged good enough.

• Like 3

It was a very uncomfortable moment, actually. I was having lunch with a colleague who had also applied to law schools (and got in and went and is a lawyer now). I had 9 hours of work left after lunch and I think it was late in the week and I was tired. On top of all that, I was assuming I’d get in based on my LSAT and GPA.

A woman from UT called and performed a long preamble before saying I was in. I said I appreciate the call and thanks for the good news. “You know, people are usually a lot more excited than that. You got into U of T law school!” I understand. I’m looking forward to it, thank you. Then she sort of hung up on me and I went back to work.

The much happier feeling came with getting my LSAT score. It was an enormous weight off my shoulders. I bought a bag of cookies, smoked...tobacco...and stayed up till 3am watching old X-Files. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

It was a very uncomfortable moment, actually. I was having lunch with a colleague who had also applied to law schools (and got in and went and is a lawyer now). I had 9 hours of work left after lunch and I think it was late in the week and I was tired. On top of all that, I was assuming I’d get in based on my LSAT and GPA.

A woman from UT called and performed a long preamble before saying I was in. I said I appreciate the call and thanks for the good news. “You know, people are usually a lot more excited than that. You got into U of T law school!” I understand. I’m looking forward to it, thank you. Then she sort of hung up on me and I went back to work.

The much happier feeling came with getting my LSAT score. It was an enormous weight off my shoulders. I bought a bag of cookies, smoked...tobacco...and stayed up till 3am watching old X-Files. 

Oh my God, I'm glad someone finally said it because I wasn't sure if I should share my own story. That woman from Admissions was Jiffan. I don't know if she's still there. I didn't know who she was when she called me but eventually I did figure it out while I was attending. She did the same damn thing to me - only moreso. It's like she was personally offended that I didn't run around screaming that I got in. This was one (among many) early signals that there might be a disconnect between my attitude towards law school and legal culture and U of T's view of itself. I wasn't wrong.

I think I waited several days before even telling anyone else. It was a personal experience and not one I was eager to share. Also, just as Hoju said, the real weight was receiving my LSAT score. Not to be a jerk about it, but once I had my LSAT, combined with my GPA and other stuff, I pretty much knew I was attending any Canadian law school I wanted. Which is exactly why I gave Jiffan the whole "well, thanks for letting me know" routine. In hindsight, had I known more about her, I would have really screwed with her and told her I was considering an offer from Cooley or something.

Edited by Diplock
  • Like 7
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Diplock said:

Oh my God, I'm glad someone finally said it because I wasn't sure if I should share my own story. That woman from Admissions was Jiffan. I don't know if she's still there. I didn't know who she was when she called me but eventually I did figure it out while I was attending. She did the same damn thing to me - only moreso. It's like she was personally offended that I didn't run around screaming that I got in. This was one (among many) early signals that there might be a disconnect between my attitude towards law school and legal culture and U of T's view of itself. I wasn't wrong.

She definitely seemed offended, and it definitely left a bad impression of the school. I wanted to ask her if she showed up to dates saying “you must be so excited to be with me”. 

• Like 2

I had a really great LSAT and while my grades were somewhat inconsistent, once they did the adjustments they do, I had a pretty respectable GPA. I only applied to one school and I was well above their cut off, but I still did not have any confidence that I would get in until I saw that email.

I had about 3 acceptances before I got the one I really wanted. I shed a few tears of relief not going to lie. I remember having to shed those tears discretely because I was at work and ...well the people at my work would have never let me live if they caught me crying lol 

• Like 1

I was into several schools already before I got into my dream school.

I was wearing a suit because I had an early entrance cocktail to go to for osgoode. I was writing a midterm so I turned my phone off. When I turned it on I saw the email (but for some reason the subject line didn't indicate acceptance, rejection, or waitlist). I was in the class of one of the professors I was really close with. As soon as I opened it and saw it was an acceptance, I jumped and ran towards the front and hugged the professor. He thought I was happy because it was an easy midterm (it was) until I explained.

It was too late to cancel the cocktail reception, so I went and had some nice drinks courtesy of Osgoode and one of the Sister firms. Had a nice chat with the dean (was still open to being convinced, but he didn't do a great job of it) and left before I got sloppy. I went to the downstairs bar, had a nice chat with the bartender who had an ongoing lawsuit against Universal (he's a musician) with a McGill Alum representing him (the school which I had just gotten into). He heard my story and poured me a few shots of 40 dollar/shot cognac. 

It was a good night.

Edited by pzabbythesecond
  • Like 1

I got dumped 1-2 months prior to getting my acceptance. I was still in the phase where you feel like nothing else matters anymore, so I wasn't too excited at first. Now that I'm working hard towards something I care about, I feel fantastic (most days).

Hang in there, and best of luck! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

...He heard my story and poured me a few shots of 40 dollar/shot cognac. 

[emphasis added, portion only quoted]

I only quoted the important part of your post... :uriel:

As a splitter (very high LSAT but not GPA) I was a waitlist admit to several schools, the first one that admitted me was Queen's (where I went, very pleased with the law school education and experience - okay, advertisement over). I happened to be home that day, and awake in the morning when I received notification, so given the time of day friends/family were busy at least until the evening. So I went to see a double feature of action movies just to do something fun and self-indulgent (seeing two movies in a row) that didn't involve alcohol, let alone Cognac.

• Like 1