Sign in to follow this  
KhalilMack

Chances? CGPA: 3.28, B2: 3.52

Hello All!

I was just hoping to get some feedback regarding my chances for admission at Queens for this coming admissions cycle.

-As I've said, my OLSAS cGPA is 3.28, and my best two years yield a 3.52 (OLSAS). My last 2 years yield a GPA of 2.97 (OLSAS). I had a really awful third year, which I can explain with medical reasoning. I wrote the September LSAT and scored a 158 (I could not sleep the night before lol), and I am re-writing in November. Here is some background, in case Queens takes a holistic approach (do they?)

-I studied Chemical Engineering at the University of Toronto (does Queens take into account the difficulty of a program?).
-I did a Professional Experience Year (PEY) at IBM for 16 months where I worked as an analyst. I worked with a tonne of clients.
-I did a summer of work as a Research Intern for a professor in the faculty and won a research competition.
-I was very involved with my student government in 2nd and 3rd year. I was a director on my student's union's board of directors and was the Chief Returning Officer of the Engineering Society for a year. I was also involved with the Policy and Procedures committees for both my student's union and the Engineering Society at my school (this is actually what made me realize I might want to be a lawyer!)
-I was the Vice-President of Finance and Chair of a small club focused on BioEngineering and connecting students with that field.
-I helped lead orientation week in a minor capacity.
-I played a variety of intramural sports throughout my undergrad.
-I am currently working as a consultant for a pharmaceutical company. 

I know this is probably an overload of information, and thank you for reading it all. I am just wondering:
-What kind of LSAT score would I need to be a competitive applicant?
-Would my extracurriculars (or "softs" as I have often heard them referred to) be considered strong or weak, or in the middle?

Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated! Have a great one.

Your chances don't look good, because all of your stats are well below general category averages (~3.65 cGPA, 3.73 B2, 162 LSAT), and your softs aren't going to compensate for that. 

Last year, this person had similar stats and was waitlisted with a 164 LSAT, so your best bet is to study hard and improve that LSAT score as much as you can.

Good luck! 

Edited by Tagger

Your stats are too weak to be competitive. Your extracurricular are great, but they’re not unusual for an applicant, and anyways extracurriculars never compensate for marks wildly below the cutoff. 

Your need to to get the LSAT to a 160+, and your GPA is not good. I know you said you’ve got reasons for your third year flub, but what’s your 4th year like? I ask because Queens is a L2 school, so they look at your L2 over your GPA, ideally looking for improvement or consistency. Yours goes down, so unless your 4th year is a huge improvement, showing you can produce the results with the health thing dealt with, you won’t be a strong candidate.  

On 10/19/2018 at 5:45 PM, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

Your stats are too weak to be competitive. Your extracurricular are great, but they’re not unusual for an applicant, and anyways extracurriculars never compensate for marks wildly below the cutoff. 

Your need to to get the LSAT to a 160+, and your GPA is not good. I know you said you’ve got reasons for your third year flub, but what’s your 4th year like? I ask because Queens is a L2 school, so they look at your L2 over your GPA, ideally looking for improvement or consistency. Yours goes down, so unless your 4th year is a huge improvement, showing you can produce the results with the health thing dealt with, you won’t be a strong candidate.  

is Queen's not a B2 school? (B2 just tends to be people's L2)

On 10/19/2018 at 8:45 PM, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

My fourth year was significantly better than my third year. I think my GPA in 4th year was around 3.5 and my third year was something like a 2.8

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

did you apply to other schools? Like Windsor

I will be applying to all Ontario schools.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:09 AM, SlickRick said:

Why leave the NFL????

It's way too easy. I figure this will help when I sue them for CTE.

*Disclaimer* I do not claim to be or am the real Khalil Mack

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhalilMack said:

It's way too easy. I figure this will help when I sue them for CTE.

*Disclaimer* I do not claim to be or am the real Khalil Mack

That's okay. I'm not the real Slick Rick, either.

Just now, SlickRick said:

That's okay. I'm not the real Slick Rick, either.

That doesn't mean you can't rock a mean eye-patch.