Sign in to follow this  
emasrbmk

personal statements

For the question regarding skills or interests developed outside of university/work , I had originally planned on discussing time management skills (and did submit my application for windsor last year with that statement) but now I am thinking if I should discuss that I am multi-lingual.. The languages I know (Serbo-croatian, macedonian, some russian) I realize are not as valuable to know as French in Canada, but I guess it is still valuable to be multi-lingual and fluent in 3 languages rather than just 1, especially in areas like immigration law? would love to hear if anyone thinks Windsor would like this? 

11 minutes ago, emasrbmk said:

For the question regarding skills or interests developed outside of university/work , I had originally planned on discussing time management skills (and did submit my application for windsor last year with that statement) but now I am thinking if I should discuss that I am multi-lingual.. The languages I know (Serbo-croatian, macedonian, some russian) I realize are not as valuable to know as French in Canada, but I guess it is still valuable to be multi-lingual and fluent in 3 languages rather than just 1, especially in areas like immigration law? would love to hear if anyone thinks Windsor would like this? 

No idea about Windsor or what they look for, but it strikes me that knowing multiple languages is a specific impressive thing. Saying you have "time management skills"? What does that even mean. That's the kind of thing that anyone who's ever met a deadline, ever, can claim.

Not trying to be nasty, but why in the world would you fail to mention that you know multiple languages?!

I would definitely include this, especially because it is included on a part of their evaluation.

4. Personal Accomplishments
Factors can include extracurricular activities, hobbies and special accomplishments; artistic and athletic accomplishments; communication skills and languages spoken.

Best of luck! 

Everyone applying to law school would claim to have good time management skills- but this shouldn't make it to your application in any fundamental way. I'd recommend to only lightly mention vague skills and focus more on the unique experience and abilities that you have. Being able to speak three languages is a great asset to mention.