• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• If you practice immigration, definitely recommend.
    • I haven't been rejected from uOttawa yet but I have a feeling my PS may have screwed me again. Coming from a graduate program, where you apply based on what kind of research you want to study with a faculty member, I was habituated to a certain kind of writing and it spilled over into my law school PS. I always assumed law school shared many qualities as grad school, I overlooked the dissimilarities.  I'm also frustrated because I feel like, going the alternative route and crafting a personal statement that focuses on a more stripped down, personal kind of writing, that I have to sound like I'm telling a story. When it comes time to include why I want to study law in that story, I become lost.  I have an offer to Windsor that I'm unsure I want to take because of psychological reasons, but all the stress I've gone through with applying twice, raising my LSAT to a 164 in the process, and either getting rejected or being held in the dark from the schools I wanted, makes me wonder if its just easier to take Windsor instead of applying one more year, trying to perfect my PS. You want to put yourself in an environment that sets you up for success and I'm not sure moving so far away does that for me considering my mental health. But at the same time, my mental health has taken a complete nosedive with all of the stress experienced from applying. So I don't know whether accepting the offer or enduring another year of this is worth it. Yeah I understand I may not get another offer but there's also no guarantee I won't suffer acutely from my health condition while I'm there and be forced to come back. I also feel it's necessary to try and find out why my PS this time around is not as good as it could be. I've sent it out to other applicants who say it's well written but it's not personal enough and that it doesn't tell enough about me. I do to an extent but not enough. Maybe it makes sense to prepare a backup application, starting with my PS, to apply next year in case Windsor doesn't work out.  Would a PS that isn't stellar, but passable, hold someone back from getting an acceptance? I haven't been accepted to uOttawa yet and I assume it's something to do with my PS. I have to say: The application process has been one of the most stressful times of my life. I feel like I'm surrounded on all sides. Haunted by each choice I have to make. Feels like a life or death ultimatum. Makes me filled with deep regret that I overlooked the importance of my PS. I poured all of my mental and emotional energy last year trying to improve my LSAT right around the time applications were due. Wish I could have done it differently.
    • I’m going to weigh in as a 0L that was accepted through a ‘special’ category this cycle. This is obviously just my opinion, so take it for what you will, and perhaps these are already things you’ve thought of- but perhaps not. First, definitely take that part out (bolded). They don’t allow many words in the personal statement and that’s valuable space you should be using for another purpose. Second, when you rewrite your statement, bear in mind that every single person in the access, discretionary, special consideration etc etc categories has a story, and I think it’s fair to infer that’s not really what the adcom is looking for.  If I were in your position, I would allow 3-4 sentences, total, for your story. And, for every piece of your story that you share, connect it explicitly or implicitly with the kind of person you are, the specific qualities you have, and why that makes you the kind of person they want to admit.  My statement made no mention of my academic aspirations and it was only loosely tailored to the school I applied to. What it did do was lay completely bare who I am, what I have accomplished since undergrad, and what qualities I felt I had demonstrated. While hardship was a necessary element to discuss by nature of the category, I shared only what was crucial to confirm my eligibility for the category and used those same statements to strengthen the picture of myself as an applicant.  Lastly, I agree with others who have emphasized re-writing the LSAT and I’m glad to hear that’s your plan as it sounds like you know you will need a higher score to have a shot at UBC or UVIC. I genuinely wish you luck and hope this was at least somewhat helpful. 
    • Do we have anyone accepted off the waitlist?