JJBittenbinder

Windsor and Switiching Law Schools

Hey guys, I have a question about how difficult it is to switch out of law schools after your first year if you’ve attended Windsor. Do schools still look at your LSAT, or do they focus on your transcript for that first year? 

• Like 1

I would think they consider all information available. Do the school websites tell you?

I was also wondering this. On the U of T website it said they consider LSAT still. 

It can be difficult given that there are very few transfer students accepted, but it is not impossible.  Depending on what law school you want to transfer to and the reasons for the transfer can make a difference as well.

Given my personal experience, your 1L grades and extracurricular/co-curricular activities during 1L are big factors but LSAT score, not so much.

1L grades are the major factor.

OZ considers compassionate reason(s).

I don't think LSAT was a factor in my case.

Edited by Luckycharm

UVic is the only law school in Canada that I am aware of that does not factor in your LSAT score. Every school in Ontario includes it to some extent.

1 hour ago, GoldmanSachs said:

UBC does not really consider the LSAT. 

They consider whether you would have been admitted if you applied in first year, so by extension they do consider LSAT. 

1 minute ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

They consider whether you would have been admitted if you applied in first year, so by extension they do consider LSAT. 

I transferred to UBC. My stats were not good enough to be admitted in first year and I was not the only one. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GoldmanSachs said:

I transferred to UBC. My stats were not good enough to be admitted in first year and I was not the only one. 

That's likely because it's one of only three criteria they consider? 

Regardless, it's a bit silly to suggest UBC does not consider a factor they state they consider based solely on your anecdotal experience. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

2 hours ago, GoldmanSachs said:

UBC does not really consider the LSAT. 

I echo this sentiment. While it does say UBC considers whether you would have been admitted for 1l, my experience is that they don't actually consider the LSAT. 

It's sort of like the personal statement. Everyone is required to submit one for UBC, but they don't look at or consider the majority of them. 

It's not easy, but people transfer from all over to all over every year. Just get excellent 1L grades, you're not about to go re-write the LSAT after you've been admitted, so nothing you can do there. 

On 10/27/2018 at 1:07 AM, Girby said:

UVic is the only law school in Canada that I am aware of that does not factor in your LSAT score. Every school in Ontario includes it to some extent.

This is not true. 

I seem to recall a previous discussion about this.  Ottawa does not require an LSAT score for transfer applicants. Queen's says that if you've taken it, you must provide a report but if you haven't, you won't have to write the test. So that, I would imagine, is directed at McGill students interested in a transfer. U of T, Osgoode and Western require a valid LSAT score. I don't know about Windsor or Lakehead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

... care to expand? 

"Applicants in this category must submit their official law school transcripts, two letters of reference, including at least one from a law professor, as well as a letter from the Dean of the current law school attesting to the fact that the student is in good standing and has not been the subject of any disciplinary actions. LSAT results are not required for Transfer applicants."

Quick Google search showed me this on the Ottawa webpage.

19 hours ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

"Applicants in this category must submit their official law school transcripts, two letters of reference, including at least one from a law professor, as well as a letter from the Dean of the current law school attesting to the fact that the student is in good standing and has not been the subject of any disciplinary actions. LSAT results are not required for Transfer applicants."

Quick Google search showed me this on the Ottawa webpage.

Interesting, that's the first I've heard of this. The only common law students the exemption would catch are those at McGill but I stand corrected nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, Girby said:

Interesting, that's the first I've heard of this. The only common law students the exemption would catch are those at McGill but I stand corrected nonetheless.

Not necessarily. It doesn't only mean that they don't have to have written the LSAT, it means that the LSAT score will not have to be provided and will not be used in the assessment for transfer.

17 minutes ago, Girby said:

10 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

Not necessarily. It doesn't only mean that they don't have to have written the LSAT, it means that the LSAT score will not have to be provided and will not be used in the assessment for transfer.

"Certified copy of the LSAT score report form. You are not required to take the test if you were admitted to a Canadian law school without an LSAT score report. Upper-year applicants who have never written the LSAT will not be required to take the LSAT."

This is from Queens, but it illustrates that someone can transfer from McGill to Queens without having written the LSAT. Additionally, I am thinking that Ottawa may be one of the only Ontario schools to not require the LSAT in transferring.