mmoore

Sketch Questions

Hi!

So right now I'm finishing off my autobiographical sketch, and I'm finding I'm running out of room on some of them that require more detail - is there any way around this?

Secondly, if I have a few different responsibilities that vary quite greatly under one activity (so in my case, I'm a gymnastics coach. Sometimes, I have my own classes or substitute, sometimes its at a recreational level, sometimes at a very high level, which differ a lot in practice, and sometimes I'm helping with the local community's YMCA camp in the summers. To add onto it, sometimes I can only help out in the summer, sometimes I've been there year round), should I put separate entries for these different responsibilities? Also, do I need to separate all the different dates I worked for them (i.e. one entry for summer '15, one entry for summer '16)

Or am I overthinking this horribly and should maybe just put it all under one brief description?

Thanks in advance :) 

For your first question, there isn't anyway around this, just keep them concise. Second, not sure but I would put them under different entries because of the time difference.

And you are overthinking this, well who isn't?

2 minutes ago, krnprykt said:

For your first question, there isn't anyway around this, just keep them concise. Second, not sure but I would put them under different entries because of the time difference.

And you are overthinking this, well who isn't?

Ok so I have 2 jobs where I worked every year, but only during certain times. This would mean that for over the past 4 years, I would have to make 4 separate entries for these jobs, amounting to 8 entries of basically the same thing, just different time periods. Would it be wrong to just put it all under 1 from the start date to present, since I'm still currently working both of these jobs?

PS thanks for the response :)

9 hours ago, mmoore said:

Ok so I have 2 jobs where I worked every year, but only during certain times. This would mean that for over the past 4 years, I would have to make 4 separate entries for these jobs, amounting to 8 entries of basically the same thing, just different time periods. Would it be wrong to just put it all under 1 from the start date to present, since I'm still currently working both of these jobs?

PS thanks for the response :)

That’s what I did for my summer job- 1 entry that showed 3 years of employment, and then I noted in the description that I worked summers. 

12 hours ago, mmoore said:

Hi!

So right now I'm finishing off my autobiographical sketch, and I'm finding I'm running out of room on some of them that require more detail - is there any way around this?

Secondly, if I have a few different responsibilities that vary quite greatly under one activity (so in my case, I'm a gymnastics coach. Sometimes, I have my own classes or substitute, sometimes its at a recreational level, sometimes at a very high level, which differ a lot in practice, and sometimes I'm helping with the local community's YMCA camp in the summers. To add onto it, sometimes I can only help out in the summer, sometimes I've been there year round), should I put separate entries for these different responsibilities? Also, do I need to separate all the different dates I worked for them (i.e. one entry for summer '15, one entry for summer '16)

Or am I overthinking this horribly and should maybe just put it all under one brief description?

Thanks in advance :)

You are way overthinking this.  No law school wants to see this much detail about coaching gymnastics.  Just say coaching gymnastics and group it into a single entry.

I'll add that it can be helpful (at least for some schools) to give a sense of what the time commitment was like. They want to see if you can handle the rigours of law school, and showing you did well in undergrad while juggling other commitments is a good way if showing that.

3 hours ago, ProfReader said:

You are way overthinking this.  No law school wants to see this much detail about coaching gymnastics.  Just say coaching gymnastics and group it into a single entry.

Ok no prob!

But as for the fact that I've worked there at different times - for example, say I worked there 3 different summers, would I have 3 different entries of the same thing just under different time frames? Under the help section in the sketch it kind of sounds like I have to do this

3 minutes ago, mmoore said:

Ok no prob!

But as for the fact that I've worked there at different times - for example, say I worked there 3 different summers, would I have 3 different entries of the same thing just under different time frames? Under the help section in the sketch it kind of sounds like I have to do this

I will let others weigh in on this.  I've seen sketches, of course, and preferred them to be as concise as possible, which is why I made the recommendation that I did, but I've never filled one out or read the help section, but I'm sure that others here have.

• Thanks 1

Is it possible to just put the job, then indicate you did it for three summers? I agree with profreader that being concise is always the better path.

• Thanks 1

That's what I was thinking and honestly how I prefer to write (i.e. being more concise), but I've seen so many people going over the top with entries etc. that I thought perhaps maybe I was in the wrong. Thanks for the feedback guys!

8 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

I will let others weigh in on this.  I've seen sketches, of course, and preferred them to be as concise as possible, which is why I made the recommendation that I did, but I've never filled one out or read the help section, but I'm sure that others here have.

Sorry one more question (and again, thanks for all the help!), I've seen people with a ridiculous amount of entries (i.e. above 20). If I'm being honest, when putting all my significant experience in (ex. I'm choosing to forego some of my serving jobs that I only did for a short time during the summer that really don't add much to the sketch when I had other jobs during this time anyways), I probably only have about 12 entries. Is this a big deal? I'm confident in my GPA and LSAT score, just to add a little more detail to this.

2 hours ago, mmoore said:

Sorry one more question (and again, thanks for all the help!), I've seen people with a ridiculous amount of entries (i.e. above 20). If I'm being honest, when putting all my significant experience in (ex. I'm choosing to forego some of my serving jobs that I only did for a short time during the summer that really don't add much to the sketch when I had other jobs during this time anyways), I probably only have about 12 entries. Is this a big deal? I'm confident in my GPA and LSAT score, just to add a little more detail to this.

I think that you can probably skip out on some of the short-term things and 12 items sounds fine to me.

• Thanks 1