torontohermione

Number of Reference Letters / OLSAS System

Hey guys,

I'm sorry if there is already a thread concerning this and I missed it. As some law schools only require two references letters (but others through the system accept up to 3), if you ARE able to add a third referee will they read all three or only select 2 to read for the application. Would having 3 reference letters instead of 2 weaken or strengthen your application (especially if they are all diverse). Thank you in advance!

Edited by torontohermione

38 minutes ago, torontohermione said:

Hey guys,

I'm sorry if there is already a thread concerning this and I missed it. I'm in the midst of adding my referees to OLSAS, and I'm not sure how many OLSAS will accept and I'm not willing to add 2 then realize I can't add a third (with the third being one I might have wanted more than the second, as once you add a referee and select send email it is locked in). What is the limit of referees OLSAS will allow you to add? As some law schools only require two references letter, if you ARE able to add a third referee will they read all three or only select 2 to read for the application. Would having 3 reference letters instead of 2 weaken or strengthen your application (especially if they are all diverse). Thank you in advance!

is it so hard to follow instructions?

• Like 1

I had a hard time finding information regarding this too! From the research I've done based on the schools I'm applying to I found the following:

U of T-  doesn't consider references

Osgoode- will read all 3

Western- selects 2 at random (so just make sure if you are submitting 3 that you would be okay with them seeing any 2 of the 3)

Queens- will read all 3

Ottawa- couldn't find anything

Hope that helps :) 

• Like 1

OLSAS lets you add up to three referees.

Ottawa wants at least 2 reference letters, at least one of which is academic, so they will probably read all 3 reference letters if you submit 3. And yeah, I agree that the information can be hard to find sometimes, so I don't blame you for asking here.

Edited by Xer
  • Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I misread this initially and it struck me as a very modest and realistic plan. Now that I realize you're looking to draw $1,000/week (that's after tax?) it's still potentially doable, but certainly harder. To put that in context, to take home $52k you're looking at earning around $80k or more by normal standards. That's $80k after practice expenses. Now as noted before, you can obscure what you really need to earn for a while because the tax bill won't come due until the end of the year. But it will come due. And $80k is a lot to need when you're just setting out on your own. It's a decent associate salary for a three-year call to begin with. Needing to make it on your own, almost right away, is a stretch. My best advice would be this. Keep your overhead in practice and in life as low as you possibly can. You can control that a lot more than you can control the business that walks through your door. You can do very well in sole practice. Don't be discouraged if you need to scrimp at the beginning, because that doesn't mean your whole life will be like that. But success in the beginning does take some early sacrifice. In terms of cash flow, I was going to give you some advice that worked well for me. If you take agency work from better established lawyers, to start, they'll generally pay you right away and won't wait to bill their own files. So that gets something coming in immediately to keep you going. If you wait until you're able to bill your own files, from start to finish, then even stuff you bring in on day one might not mean money in your pocket six months later. But that said, taking agency work isn't going to bring you the sort of income you're talking about right off. Whatever else you decide, I agree with going sole sooner rather than later, if that's your end goal. The longer you wait, the greater your obligations will be. Best thing I ever did was make the leap early, when I was still living cheaply. Anyway, good luck!  
    • Okay. That's a relief. Now are you saying general admission or are you saying a special category? Additionally, what do you suggest one should to do practice and score high on your LSAT.
    • 3.53 L2/164+ will put you in a very decent spot for Queens. 166+ very good chance. 
    • Hello, I'm in my 4th year at UofL in Calgary and currently have the following stats: CGPA: 3.21 L2: 3.53 B3: 3.32 I'm practicing the LSAT test and lowest I've had is 163. Highest I've had is 167. Work Experience: I've been working in Business Development full-time now for about 3+ years. Before that worked at a bank full-time and before that retail jobs. Always worked 30+ hours a week to support family. Reason for low CGPA is one BAD year dealing with a lot of personal problems. I know I won't get into UBC, Osgoode, UVic and UofT. But my goal is Queens. My list includes Dal, UofC, USask, Western, Ottawa, and UofA. What are my chances in these schools? What about the other schools? I'm open to go to any school that takes me but would LOVE to go to Queens. and If not, then one from my list.
    • Definitely hard to say but I think I've done some considerable volunteering and leadership stuff that I really hope helps my case, but again it's really hard to know what other people applying to a holistic school look like.    I did a lil calculation and my CGPA is only like 2.9, I have some serious regrets about how I used my time in my first few years of university but not much can be done now. I am taking 4 more classes currently to bump myself but as I'm sure you know, its insanely hard to see a lot of movement. I took 4 spring/summer classes and got 4 As, it only moved my L2 GPA by 0.015. Sigh. I'm also signed up for 4 more in Winter but those aren't considered. So if all goes as planned i'll be more in the 3.6L2/3.0 CGPA range going into the 2020 cycle but obviously that doesn't help me for 2019. 

Anyways, just trying to be as strategic as possible. Again, my expectations are not high and I'm not banking on getting in for 2019- obviously it would be a nice surprise though if I managed to claw my way in somewhere