1. Forums

1. 271

Discussions about the forums or the Discord server.

1. General

General discussion about law schools or your applications.

U of T vs. Osgoode, Queens vs. Western, so on and so forth: Get advice about which school is better to go to over another.

Questions, study tips, and general discussion about the LSAT.

Questions about lines of credit, loans, and paying for law school.

For applicants or law students looking to offer books / prep materials for purchase or sale.

1. 910

1. 2.5k

OCIs, summer jobs, applying for articling.

1. Ask a Lawyer

Not a lawyer but have a question about what it's like to be one?

4. 235

1. 6.2k
  • Who's Online   40 Members, 2 Anonymous, 93 Guests (See full list)

• Lawstudents20202020
    • chrysanthemum
    • DojaKat
    • JessicaPearson
    • Tortfeasor
    • Manicero
    • Kimura
    • Froom
    • PzabbytheLawyer
    • lawsttime
    • Psychometronic
    • BHC1
    • warnerhuntingtonIII
    • mimi123
    • MyWifesBoyfriend
    • GreyDude
    • flowering
    • tortstortoise
    • chaboywb
    • olawg
    • TheWingerGuarantee
    • scooter
    • Grace Van Owen
    • am0229
    • LegallyDani
    • goodluckmcgill
    • GoWestYoungMan
    • legallybird
    • cola
    • torontowaxy
    • soundofconfusion
    • lawstudent2024
    • ainorhcue
    • loonie
    • kklawkk
    • Misfit
    • Rashabon
    • CleanHands
    • Debtful
    • hopefulwizard

• Recent Posts

• flowering
      Arguing and clarifying a position is not a sign of disrespect at all.  Thank you for pinpointing other aspects. 
    • Whist
      While it's entirely fair to want to see how working in a firm/being a lawyer is before shelling out a bunch of time and money for law school, I don't think becoming a legal assistant or paralegal for that sole purpose is the way to do it. It's just a completely different job. It's like trying to become a dental hygienist to get experience in a medical office before you decide whether you want to become a plastic surgeon. I'm exaggerating here but I'm sure you get the idea. I think the better way to hear about what being a lawyer is like is to research what lawyers say about their lives, read some case law, get coffee with lawyers if you can, that kind of thing. It's not that you can't go to law school if you're a legal assistant first, but you're adding in an extra totally different job between what you do now and lawyerhood when it's unnecessary.  Depending on what province you're in, specific education for legal assistant/paralegal/etc roles may be required. It's great that you're getting interviewed, but that doesn't really refute the "spamming" thing, at least from my past experience interviewing for roles I had no business in. I agree that offering to volunteer in this context is a bit odd. Firms want reliable and knowledgable assistants. This isn't to say you're not knowledgable, but someone willing to take on such a role full time for free is odd, and someone doing it only casually wouldn't really appeal, so either way it comes across differently than I'm sure you intend.
    • Psychometronic
      There is the opportunity cost of working as an LAA and being paid an LAA salary instead of applying to law school right away. I don't think working as an LAA is necessarily bad idea to get exposure to legal work. It will just be very limited since LAA work is mostly administrative. I would NOT recommend taking a volunteer position for a job that should be paid. Those type of employers are, more likely than not, red flags and are unlikely to treat you well.  Most lawyers never worked as LAAs and many don't come from lawyer families. There are law-adjacent jobs if you get a law degree and decide not to be a lawyer.
    • MyWifesBoyfriend
      Also an Applicant (now admit), but ‘sort of’ went down the path you’re describing here.     As someone who is currently in a senior/managerial position in a legal adjunct role that has dealt with hiring decisions, this stuff is going to stick out like a sore thumb. You’re gunning for entry-level positions with an overqualified resume. A prospective employer may see this as a flight risk and if you’re mentioning your law school aspirations in your cover letter or interviews, then there’s little-to-no chance you’ll be hired. Part of hiring entails mitigating the risk for turnover, since it means wasted resources and time on training. This is especially true for smaller firms (not too sure about mid to large firms though).    My only advice is to be mindful of this potential pitfall with your professional profile.    I’d also echo @Yogurt Baron’s comments too - there’s no “outside of the box” advice for law school. Just sit the LSAT and prepare application packages.
    • LMP
      If you'd like to be a lawyer in Canada you should avoid that program. 
    • LMP
      I gotta echo the good Baron here, my first impression upon reading your post is "this person's very odd".  That's not meant to be an insult! But I think it is a big part of why you aren't finding success in your job search (in addition to the factors mentioned above).  My advice is to take it easy. Come off as less intense and maybe work a bit on how you communicate in writing.  Also, don't get so defensive when you get advice you don't like. Someone spent a lot of time crafting a helpful and informative response. Respect their time and expertise (they know the industry and especially the areas you're applying to) and don't try and argue with them. 
    • futurreeeelawyerrr
      No - waiting on my final MA grades still! I emailed them before i was accepted and they said that your application would be reviewed regardless if your final marks were in yet.
  • Recent Topics

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.