cooliobrownkid

3rd Year Applicant Chances

I am currently in my 3rd Year of undegrad pursuing a science degree. I just wrote my LSAT and got a 156. My GPA is about 3.8. Pretty good ECs.What are my chances of getting in? Does TRU even take 3rd year undergrads??

Thanks !

Your LSAT isn't amazing, but your GPA is decent. Send an application in but don't hold your breath, I have not met anyone here who does not have their undergrad degree even though the admissions page does say they will look at applications with 90 credits.  Honestly I would complete your undergrad. Having a science undergrad can be very attractive to certain law firms, having 3 years of a science degree doesn't mean anything to them.  Once you do complete your undergrad if you can maintain that GPA you should be able to get accepted.

Generally students who get accepted to any law school with only 3 years of undergrad are exceptional students with very high GPAs and LSATs. Your GPA is good but your LSAT is just decent, so together they don't really have a reason to take you over someone who completed their degree.

I don't know anyone in my class who doesn't have an undergrad degree. There's 0 downside to finishing your degree first. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Thanks so much for your replies! Really settled my mind. 
    • Hello, I already graduated, but I am currently taking 3.5 additional courses (2 full year courses, 3 half year courses to be exact) while studying for the LSAT, working and applying to law schools. I mostly chose to take extra courses because of my low first year average, although I was advised by one law school's admissions that my 2nd, 3rd and 4th year marks were good enough. I knew that it wouldn't make such a big difference to my cgpa, but I figured that it was worth a shot. My course work is going well so far, except for one course that has proven to be a lot harder than I thought. I realize that I am not in a position to give 100% of my effort to this course, and at this point I feel like I will not do very well in it (let's say I think I will end with a 78 or a low 80 if I work very very hard, by the looks of it). I am thinking about Withdrawing from the course, because I don't exactly need it. That said, a W will show up on my transcript because the add/drop period has ended. Does anyone know what law schools think of this?? I am scared because I already have a year of bad grades in my first year -- I don't want to have a mediocre grade on my transcript when taking a 5th year but I also don't think I can do well in this course while maintaining my other courses and also do well on the November LSAT (I feel like my LSAT studying has already been compromised by my work and course schedule in the past week or so...) And, I also feel like a W looks sketchy on a transcript. I really don't know what to do at this point, so I thought I would reach out! Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
    • I misread this initially and it struck me as a very modest and realistic plan. Now that I realize you're looking to draw $1,000/week (that's after tax?) it's still potentially doable, but certainly harder. To put that in context, to take home $52k you're looking at earning around $80k or more by normal standards. That's $80k after practice expenses. Now as noted before, you can obscure what you really need to earn for a while because the tax bill won't come due until the end of the year. But it will come due. And $80k is a lot to need when you're just setting out on your own. It's a decent associate salary for a three-year call to begin with. Needing to make it on your own, almost right away, is a stretch. My best advice would be this. Keep your overhead in practice and in life as low as you possibly can. You can control that a lot more than you can control the business that walks through your door. You can do very well in sole practice. Don't be discouraged if you need to scrimp at the beginning, because that doesn't mean your whole life will be like that. But success in the beginning does take some early sacrifice. In terms of cash flow, I was going to give you some advice that worked well for me. If you take agency work from better established lawyers, to start, they'll generally pay you right away and won't wait to bill their own files. So that gets something coming in immediately to keep you going. If you wait until you're able to bill your own files, from start to finish, then even stuff you bring in on day one might not mean money in your pocket six months later. But that said, taking agency work isn't going to bring you the sort of income you're talking about right off. Whatever else you decide, I agree with going sole sooner rather than later, if that's your end goal. The longer you wait, the greater your obligations will be. Best thing I ever did was make the leap early, when I was still living cheaply. Anyway, good luck!  
    • Okay. That's a relief. Now are you saying general admission or are you saying a special category? Additionally, what do you suggest one should to do practice and score high on your LSAT.
    • 3.53 L2/164+ will put you in a very decent spot for Queens. 166+ very good chance.