Sign in to follow this  
franc

Accepted with no LSAT

Hoping to hear from students who have been accepted at McGill in previous years without writing the LSAT. 

I have heard mixed things regarding how it should be factored into ones application (specially as an anglophone applicant). Anything helps! thanks

@Gerwulf I was interested in knowing about stats? EC? french?  

I am pt'ing at low 150's and I dont want to negatively sway my application. But I also know that my cGPA is a below average for mcgill (cGPA 3.55, B2: 3.8 out of 4. Maybe higher if they look at my abroad credits transfered from france). I want to know about other people's experience to see if my work and volunteer experience still makes me semi competitive 

I think a mid 150s score would hurt your application, but a 3.55 generally needs a substantial boost through some other part of your candidacy. What ECs and references do you have?

@pzabbythesecond yeah i hear you. I guess I am seeing if i have any chance now without the LSAT but have kind of accepted i might just have to push off applying until i can score atleast 160. 

For my ECS I work at a youth justice committee that does legal work for youth with charges, with a more restorative justice approach. Before that I have had 5 other jobs, 3 serving, 1 teaching english in france, and tutoring. But always worked since age 17. I also always volunteered since 2012 but mostly as general member no real exec positions but the list is long. Nearly all of my volunteering has been with vulnerable populations (mental / physical disabilities and crisis nursery). I am an immigrant (thus trilingual) and did rec soccer with the university and dance for leisure during my last years. Nothing especially unique given then highly impressive pool of applicants that aim for mcgill yearly. 

I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot by writing a mediocre LSAT and weighing down whatever average score comes from writing multiple LSATs. 

Edited by franc

references are "Weak" in that they are both professors I had in my last year of university but had no extensive relationship with out of class. I did well in their class, and respect their work. But since I had no classes with less than 60 students (other than my fine arts classes in first year lol) I reached out to them. One of my references is the associate dean at the u of a, and the reason why I found out about the organization where i work now. 

Your background is good, but I would recommend writing the lsat, and only once you start prep testing higher.

But if you see you don't get there for this cycle, if you can, nothing wrong with applying this year without one and then trying your luck again next year. But I would say apply broadly if you do end up writing the lsat.

Good luck.