livpom

Sketch, "since high school"

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the Autobiographical Sketch. On OLSAS it says to list 32 activities "since high school."

Does this mean since the first day of high school, or since you graduated high school??? Basically I am wondering if I should include high school activities.

Since graduation. No high school activities should be listed.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

I agree with this except for any sports teams you may have played on 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 5:50 PM, erinl2 said:

On 10/5/2018 at 6:37 PM, Trew said:

Thank you! This is super helpful.

On 10/5/2018 at 6:37 PM, Trew said:

What? No don't list your highschool sports teams. Don't do that.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

What? No don't list your highschool sports teams. Don't do that.

Maybe you can chime in if you actually played on one.

Edited by Trew

3 minutes ago, Trew said:

I fail to see the relevancy but alright:

I won junior and senior athlete of the Year for leading 3 of my highschool teams to winning records for the first time in 5 years. I also just missed provincials by losing out in the final of my region's tennis tournament.

No I didn't list any of this in my law school applications. Nor did I think to since the instructions are fairly clear.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I fail to see the relevancy but alright:

I won junior and senior athlete of the Year for leading 3 of my highschool teams to winning records for the first time in 5 years. I also just missed provincials by losing out in the final of my region's tennis tournament.

No I didn't list any of this in my law school applications. Nor did I think to since the instructions are fairly clear.

Relevancy lies in appreciating the experience. 

There are general rules and exceptions. That was a dumb decision to not include that assuming it's true. 

Edited by Trew

I agree with @pzabbythesecond (and apparently have the credentials necessary to chime in).

Listing things from during high school makes it look like you haven't done anything worthwhile since high school. Which is fine, I guess, if you want the AdComm to think you: (i) can't follow directions, and (ii) haven't done anything interesting enough to warrant inclusion over your job as back-up goalie to your mediocre school's soccer team. 

If you were good enough at high-school sports to warrant inclusion in your sketch, you are presumably involved in said sports at the collegiate or, at the very least, recreational level. If you aren't involved in the sport at all anymore, why on earth do you want to tell AdComms about something from when you were a teenager that you haven't kept up? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Trew said:

Why does that matter? "Activities since high school" does not mean "activities since high school, except sports, in which case include high school sports." Why would high school sports be more worthy of mentioning than high school debating, or drama, or student council, or any other high school activity?

Edited by providence
sorry high school not law school
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, providence said:

Why does that matter? "Activities since law school" does not mean "activities since law school, except sports, in which case include high school sports." Why would high school sports be more worthy of mentioning than high school debating, or drama, or student council, or any other high school activity?

General rules and exceptions. Why must I repeat myself. People can accomplish noteworthy things before university. 

2 minutes ago, Trew said:

Relevancy lies in appreciating the experience. 

There are general rules and exceptions. That was a dumb decision to not include that, assuming it's true. 

? What does this mean? 

High school is 4 years away or more for most applicants. If you were such a great athlete (or instrumentalist or debater or whatever) in high school, then maintain it in college and you can mention it. 

I did lots of stuff in high school, including sports. Some of it I kept up with, some I didn't. Some was a big deal at the time and became less of a big deal years later. 

Following directions is really important.

• Like 3

Just now, Trew said:

General rules and exceptions. Why must I repeat myself. People can accomplish noteworthy things before university. 

Of course they can. But they are being asked specifically for activities "since high school." If they wanted to know about your noteworthy things in high school, they would ask.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, providence said:

? What does this mean? 

High school is 4 years away or more for most applicants. If you were such a great athlete (or instrumentalist or debater or whatever) in high school, then maintain it in college and you can mention it. 

I did lots of stuff in high school, including sports. Some of it I kept up with, some I didn't. Some was a big deal at the time and became less of a big deal years later. 

Following directions is really important.

I understand what the word since means.  We can agree to disagree.

Edit: Here's a sample of UofT personal statements (See Personal Statement #1 at second para & Optional Essay #1, among others): https://www.law.utoronto.ca/documents/JD/UofT_Law_Personal_Statements_Examples.pdf 

Would it make sense to have such a strict interpretation to the OLSAS sketch yet endorse personal statements that mention so many high school accomplishments? Really overthinking "the ability to follow directions" lmao 

Edited by Trew

I'm just picturing John Green's OLSAS Application reading "third best C-student in the entire state of Alabama at academic decathlon"

• Haha 3

Ok ok to be reasonable, I suppose if you were an Olympian in highschool, that's fair to list. But I would still warrant caution and contact the schools you're applying to and ask, since the directions clearly indicate otherwise. I knew plenty of high school Olympians who went on to careers in professional schools, who I'm sure in some form or another mentioned that achievement (as they should).

But no. Playing on your local high school sports team - or even excelling on those teams - isn't enough to warrant it. Use your judgement people. 

Just now, pzabbythesecond said:

Ok ok to be reasonable, I suppose if you were an Olympian in highschool, that's fair to list. But I would still warrant caution and contact the schools you're applying to and ask, since the directions clearly indicate otherwise. I knew plenty of high school Olympians who went on to careers in professional schools, who I'm sure in some form or another mentioned that achievement (as they should).

But no. Playing on your local high school sports team - or even excelling on those teams - isn't enough to warrant it. Use your judgement people. 

If you were an Olympian in high school, you can mention it and still comply with directions. I'm sure most high school Olympians continue to engage with their sport in some way post-high school, and so you can list speaking/coaching etc "as a former Olympian."

• Like 1

I don't have the "played sports in high school" credential, but I do have the "former admissions committee member" credential and I always thought it was lame when people mentioned things from high school.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ProfReader said:

I don't have the "played sports in high school" credential, but I do have the "former admissions committee member" credential and I always thought it was lame when people mentioned things from high school.  

Well UofT's adcomm apparently didn't

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Trew said:

Well UofT's adcomm apparently didn't

I think that what you really mean was the person who was responsible for putting personal statement samples on the website didn't think it was lame and that the person was admitted for some reasons, which may or may not have been related to that personal statement.  I could probably find people on that committee who would share my view.  That being said, I never even purported to speak for my own admissions committee as a whole.  Maybe they have examples of people statements that I thought sucked on our website.  I don't know and don't care.  All I said was that based on my experience on an admissions committee, this gave me a bad impression.  To that I would add that I know others who share my view based on either our conversations or on their written comments about applications, which I saw.  

Olympians notwithstanding, of course.

Edited by ProfReader