stmn0066

Masters & Advice

Hi there, 

I am looking for some advice. I applied to all of the Ontario Law School's last cycle - and got rejected from all of them (not all too surprisingly). I have a 3.9 GPA but it's from a University Degree taken at a college (Humber) and because of that OLSAS doesn't calculate it, so it's up to the schools individually I believe to decide how to view it. I figure though it doesn't end up being seen as a 3.9 (though I am unsure). And I had a 154 LSAT Score. I didn't really have anything else going for me - and my statements, and reference letters I am sure weren't anything special. 

So, I am now taking my Masters at Wilfrid Laurier in Criminology. I am re-taking the LSAT in November and I am currently practicing at a 160-65. I am doing my research at Laurier in Sports Law. I just got elected to the Appeal Committee at Laurier for all Graduate students. I am also participating in organizing and presenting in a conference. I am also a research assistant. 

What else do I do? Am I on the right track? I am making good connections with professors in hopes for good reference letters, I am expanding my very limited community involvement by participating in committee's and projects at Laurier. I know Master's marks aren't counted towards anything, but will the fact that I am at a university help at least? 

I will be applying not this cycle, but the cycle after (so for Sept 2020), so I have time to fix up my CV essentially. 

Please any help, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

20 minutes ago, stmn0066 said:

Hi there, 

I am looking for some advice. I applied to all of the Ontario Law School's last cycle - and got rejected from all of them (not all too surprisingly). I have a 3.9 GPA but it's from a University Degree taken at a college (Humber) and because of that OLSAS doesn't calculate it, so it's up to the schools individually I believe to decide how to view it. I figure though it doesn't end up being seen as a 3.9 (though I am unsure). And I had a 154 LSAT Score. I didn't really have anything else going for me - and my statements, and reference letters I am sure weren't anything special. 

So, I am now taking my Masters at Wilfrid Laurier in Criminology. I am re-taking the LSAT in November and I am currently practicing at a 160-65. I am doing my research at Laurier in Sports Law. I just got elected to the Appeal Committee at Laurier for all Graduate students. I am also participating in organizing and presenting in a conference. I am also a research assistant. 

What else do I do? Am I on the right track? I am making good connections with professors in hopes for good reference letters, I am expanding my very limited community involvement by participating in committee's and projects at Laurier. I know Master's marks aren't counted towards anything, but will the fact that I am at a university help at least? 

I will be applying not this cycle, but the cycle after (so for Sept 2020), so I have time to fix up my CV essentially. 

Please any help, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Your University Degree taken at a college (Humber) may not meet Canadian law schools' requirement - that's probably one of reasons you got rejected.

You need to confirm with the law schools you applied to.

Credits from a Master degree is also not counted by Ontario law schools - it is a soft factor.

It's still a university degree - not meeting the Canadian law school requirements isn't one of my concerns. 

11 minutes ago, stmn0066 said:

It's still a university degree - not meeting the Canadian law school requirements isn't one of my concerns. 

Well I don't know what to say.

You said you plan to apply the cycle after (so for Sept 2020) but by the time you still don't meet Canadian law school requirements even you have a master degree - your university degree from Humber is not recognized by Canadian law schools admissions.

Did you check with the law schools you applied to last cycle?

Edited by NeverGiveUp
  • Like 1

But isn’t this whole thread about how you might meet those requirements? I am confused. 

If they don’t recognize your undergraduate degree, there’s your problem. 

• Like 2

@stmn0066 from a search there was a similar discussion on this board about a year ago about Humber vs. Humber-Guelph degrees. It appears that law schools require a university degree (e.g. Humber-Guelph, not Humber) not just a degree. You're already doing your Master's, okay, that ship has sailed. But you really need to get authoritative - not from me or anyone else here - answers. Which, unfortunately, may be that you can't get there from here.

Now, it may be that it's possible to get advanced standing at a university based on your college degree and courses, I don't know. I don't know if it's worth pursuing that for you or if it's possible or cost-effective. But that's something you need to find out from OLSAS and the law schools.

36 minutes ago, stmn0066 said:

Yeah, well it may be the law schools' concerns, and it is their concerns and not yours that are relevant.

Edited by providence
  • Like 1

Here's a relevant post I found from a few years back. You may want to double-check:

First, Colleges don't actually grant Bachelor of Arts degrees; they award Bachelor of Applied Arts which is not equivalent to a university degree (heinz, this is why college graduates still need to apply to university if they want to go to law school).  

Second, when I was a high school student (a long time ago), I contacted several law schools to determine if the B.A.A degree program at Humber would satisfy the admission requirements of law school, and the consistent answer I recieved was no.

Edited by Tagger

On 10/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, stmn0066 said:

I'm pretty sure not meeting the requirement is an automatic rejection... 

Call the schools to see if your degree is accepted. If you got it in partnership with a university program (Guelph-Humber, Lakehead-Georgian, that sort of thing) then you’re probably on the right track. Otherwise you may not be. Best to be sure. 

not meeting the Canadian law school requirements isn't one of my concerns. 

So you don't want to go/care about going to a Canadian law school? That is essentially what this says... 

Unfortunately, the truth is, you must have a "university degree," and that's non-negotiable. Your masters and  extra curricular activities won't matter.

Likewise, you can't force the idea that your Humber degree is a "university degree," beacause it isn't! If you really want to get into law school, work on the first important requirement which is getting a UNIVERSITY DEGREE.

Edited by Thebebebennies
  • Confused 1

This thread is a couple months old now and the OP hasn’t logged back in. Just in case people mistake this for a very recent topic. I think the answer is clear :)

• Thanks 1

I can shed some light on this topic. 

Certain Laws Schools do in fact accept your degree from Humber contrary to what others above might say. 

As a Humber Paralegal Degree graduate, Windsor, U of T, Queens and Osgoode accept the degree. U of Ottawa depending on your age would accept you as a mature student. 

But what some of the other relies are correct about is doing the research. It is not enough to say it’s a degree because, unfortunately it is not. It is a Applied Arts degree and that makes a difference. 

If you you have any questions send me a PM. Best of luck on your applications. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 2:35 PM, PotentialDefender said:

I can shed some light on this topic. 

Certain Laws Schools do in fact accept your degree from Humber contrary to what others above might say. 

As a Humber Paralegal Degree graduate, Windsor, U of T, Queens and Osgoode accept the degree. U of Ottawa depending on your age would accept you as a mature student. 

But what some of the other relies are correct about is doing the research. It is not enough to say it’s a degree because, unfortunately it is not. It is a Applied Arts degree and that makes a difference. 

If you you have any questions send me a PM. Best of luck on your applications. 

Great to hear. I am in a similar of boat. I am currently a 4th year student at Centennial doing a BAA. I was wondering if I could pm you about how to apply. Having trouble with the Academic Background and adding my transcript.