ellenpm

McGill application for 2019

Hi there,

I'm just wanting some general advice for my McGill application. I graduated from Dal this May with a 3.79 CGPA, honours, and volunteer work at the Halifax Legal Aid clinic. I'm applying to McGill for 2019, I'm taking the LSAT in December - currently testing at a 150 which is making me really nervous. However, I think with a solid personal statement I might still stand a chance for entry. Right now I'm writing my personal statement about the ways in which the law has intersected in my life and how that made me interested in localized issues of poverty and inequalities. Anyway - super stressed so any advice would be appreciated...

Unless you're consistently testing above 160 as an average of your scores over a decent sample size, don't write the lsat in December. Tbey average lsats so you can't just rewrite and do better (assuming you do). You don't need to and your GPA is strong enough without it (assuming other requirements are also strong enough).

Obviously keep studying for the lsat - especially games since score jumps are most often seen in that section. But don't write unless you get your preptesting scores up.

Edited by pzabbythesecond

Hey Ellenpm,

I would tend to agree with pzabbythesecond. If McGill is the only school you are planning on applying to then my personal suggestion would be to proceed with great caution regarding the LSAT at this point if you are looking for the most attractive way to present your application. I'm not sure how your GPA converts into a 4.0 scale, but a 3.79 is very impressive on face value and it sounds like you have some great additional extracurriculars to bolster your application as well. 

From my personal knowledge anything below a 160 (maybe a 157) would not been seen as positive towards your application. Keep in mind that McGill does not require the LSAT and does not discriminate against applicants for not writing it. However, if you do choose to write it, regardless of your score, there is no turning back, you will always have to disclose it to admissions.

Another thing to consider is that if you do not write the LSAT McGill may take it as a sign that you are very serious about McGill in particular as you could not apply to any other common law schools without it, so that could potentially work in your favour as well.

I don't want to discourage you from the path that you are taking for yourself, I just hope I could provide some insight that I have acquired as a successful applicant and current McGill Law student.

My advice at this point would be to convert your CGPA into the 4 point scale McGill uses and see how you sit on it. If it ends up being significantly lower, then maybe it is time to put the petal to the metal on studying for the LSAT to see if you can bump up your score, but otherwise, I would channel your energy into preparing a stellar application without the LSAT.

Edited by rck
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 9:18 PM, rck said:

Hi rck,

Thank you for the advice - LSAT is currently improving but I think both of you are right to be cautious with the November exam. I appreciate the feedback! :)