Sign in to follow this  
ChristianAZ

What are my chances of getting into any law school? [3.16]

Hi, 

So I didn't bother applying for September 2018 for the following reason:

My overall CGPA is about 3.16/4 and GPA for the last two years of my undergrad is 3.41/4/ 3.39/4 (Roughly). I know your average changes depending on what school you apply to but that's roughly what I got when I calculated my average. Also, what LSAT score should I aim for to get admitted? What school should I apply to? I live in Toronto. At this point, I'm considering applying in the U.K, but I want to at least try to apply and write the LSAT in December. 

Any information and advice would be appreciated considering I'm a newbie LOL.

Thanks, 

Christian 

You should aim for 180; there's no point trying to leave points on the table.

What kind of LSAT would make you competitive depends on the school you're applying to. Some want cGPA. Some want the two most recent years. Some want the best two years. Some will drop the worst credits wherever they are in your transcript. The last of those is pretty much best for everyone, the rest can dramatically change what your GPA is calculated at.

For what it's worth, 3.4 is a GPA with which a lot of people can get into law schools. It might not be their first preferences, but you asked about 'any'. Get an LSAT in the mid 160s and depending on where your GPA falls out in various calculations, and how serious you are about 'any' you may be competitive at a number of schools. 

The above is only applicable to numbers schools, as schools which place emphasis on background, references, etc are always something more of a crapshoot. I mean, they're not going out of their way to find low numbers, but starting a non-profit that ships food and christmas gifts to remote northern communities down ice roads might make a difference at, say, Lakehead, when it couldn't at eg Manitoba (who make decisions with no personal statement, references, or any other information beyond applicants' statistics).

I mean, there's 16(?) schools  in English-speaking Canada. If you're thinking about applying to foreign universities, it would take far less time than that to decide if there are any you are/aren't prepared to attend, and pull their publicity info on how they calculate GPA, and how they weigh it.

I got in with a 3.12 and a 152 highest lsat. I did 5 years of undergrad (2 degrees concurrently because I felt as one of my degrees did not represent my true potential). I applied to 5 schools (Calgary, Ottawa, TRU, Windsor and Windsor Dual) - I was waitlisted at 3 (TRU, Windsor and Windsor Dual ) eventually got in at Windsor and asked for my name to be lifted off the waitlist at the other two schools. That being said I have been heavily involved with extra curriculars and I would like to think I received strong reference letters! Just dont give up and try your hardest with the LSAT. Many people will say it's different because it's Windsor so their admission standards vary (which they do) but just try and mold your personal statements to what the school looks at (and staying truthful to yourself). Don't give up. I was obsessed with these forums for all of my undergrad and felt super discouraged because of my gpa (yo shit happens and you move on) but do try to apply in Canada!  Hope this helps! If you want to chat more, you can pm me :)

• Like 1