Slippinjimmy97

Is TRU a reputable Law School

I've been looking at TRU law school as I'm from the BC interior and am considering going into law, I would like to someday practice in a rural town or perhaps at a midsize firm somewhere in BC. I read a post on Reddit stating that certain employers will not hire TRU law grads and I was wondering whether this was true, as well as the question: is TRU considered a reputable school in BC and/or in Canada in general?

I believe TRU is establishing a great reputation in BC. TRU Grads have placed well in downtown Vancouver firms for summers, articles as well as hire backs. This is the first time that I have personally heard that a law firm has refused to hire a student on the basis that they went to TRU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slippinjimmy97 said:

I've been looking at TRU law school as I'm from the BC interior and am considering going into law, I would like to someday practice in a rural town or perhaps at a midsize firm somewhere in BC. I read a post on Reddit stating that certain employers will not hire TRU law grads and I was wondering whether this was true, as well as the question: is TRU considered a reputable school in BC and/or in Canada in general?

The law school is 7 years old, so it doesn't have the reputation of UVic and UBC but is still a good school. You get a Canadian law degree at the end of the day. You really believe that no legal employer in a rural town or BC will hire a graduate from a Canadian law school? 

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

The law school is 7 years old, so it doesn't have the reputation of UVic and UBC but is still a good school. You get a Canadian law degree at the end of the day. You really believe that no legal employer in a rural town or BC will hire a graduate from a Canadian law school? 

I never said that no employer in BC would hire a TRU grad, but law school is a big commitment monetarily and temporally, so I just want to ensure that the school I pick will not hinder my employment prospects in any way, based on the feedback is gotten so far it appears that TRU would be a sound choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slippinjimmy97 said:

I read a post on Reddit stating that certain employers will not hire TRU law grads

I've heard this from people that don't work in the legal profession nor are they connected to TRU. I'm a TRU student, I've got close family members who are lawyers in downtown Vancouver, I've never heard of a law firm that refuses to hire from TRU. In fact, I know TRU Law grads/current students that have positions at the biggest firms in Vancouver.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Diplock said:

You might as well ask for a promise that all legal employers are stupid and somehow don't realize that stronger students go to UBC and weaker students go to TRU.

You do know that people actually choose to go to TRU, not just because they couldn't get into other schools right?
As for OP's question, the most important factor in a law school really is proximity to the legal market you want to practice in.  Going to a school in the province you want to practice in is proximate enough, TRU places people at the big firms in vancouver ( In fact last year TRU had record high placement in big firms, whereas UBC had a record low).  The biggest downside to TRU really is the price.  BUT kamloops real estate is cheap enough that a decent number of students can afford to buy a place here (mid 200,000s for a condo not 600k instead of renting which can offset the price of tuition.

I will just chime in to say that in the Canadian Legal market we don’t have a drastically tiered system as they do in the states. There are no “bad” schools here. TRU is fine, just new.

Only pointing it out as this might not be apparent to all applicants, especially if they are consuming a lot of opinion pieces about rankings etc. 

• Like 4

To chime in on firms refusing to hire TRU students part - I can say with certainty at least one downtown firm refuses to hire TRU grads. 

If you hope to work in rural BC, attending TRU shouldn't be an issue IMO 

5 minutes ago, overshare604 said:

To chime in on firms refusing to hire TRU students part - I can say with certainty at least one downtown firm refuses to hire TRU grads

Which firm?

7 minutes ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

Which firm?

I’m going to suggest that no one starts naming names. There are many reasons why this is a bad idea that I won’t get into. But let’s not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

You do know that people actually choose to go to TRU, not just because they couldn't get into other schools right?
As for OP's question, the most important factor in a law school really is proximity to the legal market you want to practice in.  Going to a school in the province you want to practice in is proximate enough, TRU places people at the big firms in vancouver ( In fact last year TRU had record high placement in big firms, whereas UBC had a record low).  The biggest downside to TRU really is the price.  BUT kamloops real estate is cheap enough that a decent number of students can afford to buy a place here (mid 200,000s for a condo not 600k instead of renting which can offset the price of tuition.

What reasons are there to pick TRU over UBC and UVic? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Grinch said:

What reasons are there to pick TRU over UBC and UVic? 

Location.  If you want to practice in the interior then going to TRU may be a smart decision.

Otherwise though, given the difference in tuition costs I can't see why anyone intending to stay in the lower mainland would choose TRU over the other BC schools.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Slippinjimmy97 said:

Don't buy into this stuff. 

As long as you get your JD from an accredited school in Canada, people aren't going to care so much where you go. As it has been mentioned before, there is no such thing as a "bad" Canadian law school. Just don't let yourself get tricked into going overseas (there exists some stigma related to going abroad where entrance criteria are nearly non-existent and returning to the Canadian market - fair or not). 

1 hour ago, overshare604 said:

To chime in on firms refusing to hire TRU students part - I can say with certainty at least one downtown firm refuses to hire TRU grads. 

I wonder why that firm would refuse TRU grads. TRU does OCIs with all of the giant firms, if those firms don't refuse TRU grads I fail to see why a smaller firm would be so picky.

1 hour ago, canuckfanatic said:

I wonder why that firm would refuse TRU grads. TRU does OCIs with all of the giant firms, if those firms don't refuse TRU grads I fail to see why a smaller firm would be so picky.

Because lawyers are a notably quirky bunch, and may hold any number of idiosyncratic ideas.

I have no personal knowledge, but I have no problem believing that some firm, somewhere, refuses to hire TRU grads.  But from first hand knowledge I can tell you I once had a partner tell me that their firm would never hire another woman lawyer again because they always got pregnant.  Yet I would no more tell women they shouldn't go to law school, than I would tell someone not to go to TRU, just because of one crackpot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

Some firms may OCI/interview TRU applicants ..  but will never make an offer 

4 hours ago, Ryn said:

I’m going to suggest that no one starts naming names. There are many reasons why this is a bad idea that I won’t get into. But let’s not. 

Had no intention to! Left it vague for a reason 

58 minutes ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

Because lawyers are a notably quirky bunch, and may hold any number of idiosyncratic ideas.

I have no personal knowledge, but I have no problem believing that some firm, somewhere, refuses to hire TRU grads.  But from first hand knowledge I can tell you I once had a partner tell me that their firm would never hire another woman lawyer again because they always got pregnant.  Yet I would no more tell women they shouldn't go to law school, than I would tell someone not to go to TRU, just because of one crackpot.

In the same vein - I won't sugar coat it either.  There are sexists out there, and there are those that think that TRU is an inferior school.  One is wrong and the other is probably wrong as well (I only qualify this because I have never attended TRU - what would I know of its quality?) - but pretending that you shouldn't have a ready answer to the "why did you go to TRU if you could have gone somewhere with a better reputation and cheaper?" - also does a disservice. If you don't want to have to answer that - go to UVIC and UBC I suppose.  If you have a really good answer to that - like you always wanted a rural focus, your family lives down the hill from the TRU campus, you are independently wealthy and rain gives me hives etc. etc. -go where ever you like.

I don't think you need a ready answer to "why should I hire you - you are just going to quit to go make babies?" - because the law and 2018 and a thousand other reasons.

- should add here that I have a rural practice and the TRU trained lawyer we recently hired has been great. But this sample size of one should not be thought of as determinative. We are so overworked right now I would probably hire just about anyone with a law degree and a heart beat.  This morning I had to go to work instead of fishing - this is just wrong people.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

AAAAAAND Rumpy just got a bunch of unsolicited applications.

WHICH HE SHOULD. WORK IT TRU STUDENTS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, overshare604 said:

Some firms may OCI/interview TRU applicants ..  but will never make an offer 

No firm would OCI / interview TRU students with no chance of giving them an offer. OCIs and interviews are a large expense for law firms large enough to do OCIs. They’re not going to burn money with no intention of providing an offer. 

• Like 7