Sign in to follow this  
iacoboujee

2L Summer (2019) Recruit PFOs/ITCs

1 hour ago, Oddduck said:

1. When you get asked for a second day interview it does not mean you are safe. Half of my second day were spent trying to sell myself and the other half were obviously more about firms trying to sell themselves to me. You have to read the signals which means asking firms after the interview whether you should come back for the third day, if they can’t tell you right away, you are not their top candidate.

One caveat here- I interviewed with one full service firm where my host made it clear to me at the end of my 2nd interview that they weren't sure what would be happening next.  They invited me back for the third day several hours post interview, and ultimately made an offer. While the third day thing may be a rule of thumb, it's not universal. 

22 minutes ago, Ghalm said:

Just out of curiosity, when you have to regrettably decline a firm's job offer, why do they ask if they could know which firm you ended up choosing? How could such info shape the firm's recruitment strategy, or is it just about curiosity?

One reason is that firms try to maintain good relationships with candidates they really like so that they can potentially poach you in the future as an X year call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oddduck said:

5. Your host is a good way to get information. Ask them about your interviewers, your chances, how your interviews went. They know your chances if you are a top candidate, they know very little if you are not and the firm is still deciding. The amount of information you can get out of them is indicative.

This is very firm-dependent, and likely host-dependent. Even if your host can tell you a lot, it doesn't mean you're safe (as I found out). I wouldn't worry about how much your host knows. 

17 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Agreed. I mean not all firms are the same, or even partner to partner. But on the whole of it NY felt way more honest and less of a "secret boys club" type mentality.

The most impressive thing about the Toronto firms is their diversity. It doesn't matter which private school you went to, you have an equal chance of getting hired. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Ghalm said:

Just out of curiosity, when you have to regrettably decline a firm's job offer, why do they ask if they could know which firm you ended up choosing? How could such info shape the firm's recruitment strategy, or is it just about curiosity

Probably mostly just out of curiosity but I think that firms also want to know where their top candidates are going. If you got multiple offers that means you're a highly sought after candidate and firms are well aware of that. For example there were a couple top candidates in 3L right now that turned down several top tiered firms for a specific firm last year, so if it happens again this year it could be a learning lesson for the other firms to see what this specific firm is doing during the recruit.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OWH said:

The most impressive thing about the Toronto firms is their diversity. It doesn't matter which private school you went to, you have an equal chance of getting hired. 

This sounds a lot like someone who is bitter that they weren't impressive enough to be hired. Do some actual research on hiring statistics before you make this comment.

37 minutes ago, DenningTheLegend said:

This sounds a lot like someone who is bitter that they weren't impressive enough to be hired. Do some actual research on hiring statistics before you make this comment.

Sounded like a joke to me...

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, DenningTheLegend said:

This sounds a lot like someone who is bitter because they got their job through their UCC connections ;) 

It was a funny joke, let people have their fun.

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 3

So I guess we just now wait for an email confirmation or something if we accepted a phone offer?

edit: for anyone thinking this, answer is yes, just got an emailed offer letter lol

Edited by Ghalm

The connections and nepotism claims are trotted out every year, and it actually isn't all that funny. It also isn't helpful to those who are disappointed with the result of OCIs. An unqualified candidate getting a job through this process , due to connections and/or nepotism, would be such a rarity that no one here should be thinking that that is the reason for him/herself striking out.

• Like 3

Whether or not people actually get their jobs purely through who they are or who they know, isn’t the bigger point that the issue of “fit” can become a proxy for social class?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, providence said:

Whether or not people actually get their jobs purely through who they are or who they know, isn’t the bigger point that the issue of “fit” can become a proxy for social class?

Exactly where my thinking was going. It's not even just "fit" but access to resources to help you with interview prep, knowing what to say, knowing when to say it, knowing what's expected of you, knowing what extra curriculars are more valued, etc etc. All of that is a million times easier if you have connections in the legal field vs don't. 

• Like 2

Let's not derail this thread any further. If anyone wants to continue the conversation, please start a new discussion. Thanks.

• Like 2

For anyone who didn't get an offer last night, I get it. It sucks. I struck out at OCIs. I was devastated. Thought my career was over. 

Fast forward to now, not being hired at a big Bay St. firm, in retrospect, was one of the best things that happened to me. I ended up in a great field, have better quality of life, and don't make any less than my peers on Bay.

For those who made it from my year (2016), it's astonishing how many who were hired through OCIs into Bay St. firms have already voluntarily left for greener pastures. At the same time, some of my colleagues who started off at non-OCI firms, are now working at big Bay St. firms. If you really want to get to a Bay St firm (not sure why you would), there's definitely more than one way to get there. Don't let anyone fool you that this was your only chance. It may take some time, but where there's a will, there's a way. 

Edited by Radfahrer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Radfahrer said:

For those who made it from my year (2016), it's astonishing how many who were hired through OCIs into Bay St. firms have already voluntarily left for greener pastures. At the same time, some of my colleagues who started off at non-OCI firms, are now working at big Bay St. firms. If you really want to get to a Bay St firm (not sure why you would), there's definitely more than one way to get there. Don't let anyone fool you that this was your only chance. It may take some time, but where there's a will, there's a way. 

For those who did not receive an offer through this process I would just like to echo this sentiment again. I was told, by many associates and partners, of the abysmal attrition rate of Bay Street. Although it seems like Bay is the place to go, the constant departing of talent is indicative of something.

Additionally, the Ottawa recruit is coming up and theres still huge firms recruiting exciting students for big bucks. Even on top of this, get applications in for clerkships. Clerkships are prestigious and will surely help with applications down the road.

Moral of the story - keep your head up.

6 minutes ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

For those who did not receive an offer through this process I would just like to echo this sentiment again. I was told, by many associates and partners, of the abysmal attrition rate of Bay Street. Although it seems like Bay is the place to go, the constant departing of talent is indicative of something.

Additionally, the Ottawa recruit is coming up and theres still huge firms recruiting exciting students for big bucks. Even on top of this, get applications in for clerkships. Clerkships are prestigious and will surely help with applications down the road.

Moral of the story - keep your head up.

This is helpful, but I can't imagine that many people who struck out through OCIs would be competitive clerkship applicants, at least at the appellate level, which is where the prestige is (at least as far as I understand). 

• Like 1

Just now, Muskiehunter said:

This is helpful, but I can't imagine that many people who struck out through OCIs would be competitive clerkship applicants, at least at the appellate level, which is where the prestige is (at least as far as I understand). 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never gotten the impression that trial court clerkships are looked down upon. They're not a prestigious as appellate clerkships, sure, but they're still competitive and generally viewed favourably (at least amongst the lawyers I've talked to). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Muskiehunter said:

I can assure you plenty of competitive on paper applicants strike out at OCIs. 

• Like 1

Clerkship interviews are pretty different from interviews at big law firms and are looking for different qualities. In general, government interviews are structured to try to eliminate bias and measure merit and substantive knowledge, and firm interviews focus to at least some extent on fit.