Sign in to follow this  
iacoboujee

2L Summer (2019) Recruit PFOs/ITCs

27 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I would personally just say yes if top choice firm calls. But one option might be informing that firm before the blackout period that you're still really keen, but things have changed etc etc. You almost certainly won't get an offer if you do that but it's better than burning a bridge and hurting your rep.

This is really bad advice.

1 minute ago, Rashabon said:

This is really bad advice.

Which is why I had the caveat at the top; and mentioned the poster almost certainly won't be getting hired at firm A. Care to provide better advice? 

Seriously, the naïveté here is astonishing. If a firm is pressuring you to say first choice, for the love of god just say it. 

You’re not taking a spot from your peers. You don’t owe these firms anything. Put yourself first.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, onepost said:

Seriously, the naïveté here is astonishing. If a firm is pressuring you to say first choice, for the love of god just say it. 

You’re not taking a spot from your peers. You don’t owe these firms anything. Put yourself first.

Reputation matters in law. I'd argue you are putting yourself first by acting honorably.

2 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Reputation matters in law. I'd argue you are putting yourself first by acting honorably.

This rhetoric, while true, really needs to be toned down for the recruit. It's gotten to such an extreme that students are prejudicing themselves for fear of ruining their reputation. This is one big negotiation and while you must always negotiate in good faith, you don't need to show all of your cards at once. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Which is why I had the caveat at the top; and mentioned the poster almost certainly won't be getting hired at firm A. Care to provide better advice? 

Yeah. Say whatever you think the firm wants to hear. If they call and say "but you told us you were our first choice!" you just say "yeah, you were. Then things changed". Hell, you don't even owe an explanation. So many students and people who don't work on Bay spouting off on reputation and what not. Nobody gossips about the people who said "first choice" the year before but didn't accept except for the juniors close to the process. The senior people don't have time to remember all the students who walked through the door let alone someone who didn't take the job. Who has mental capacity to remember that shit, especially two years later when they actually become lawyers?

You also think the firm that hired the student cares? They wanted the student! They're probably thrilled that student rejected the firm they told "first choice" to.

You've literally never done this process and aren't a lawyer. This process is well-honed and happens the same every single year. I don't think it needs layman perspectives on how it works and best practices. 

There's a candidate that told one of my colleagues that we were his first choice. We then spent the next few minutes discussing whether he'd actually take an offer with us or whether he'd go elsewhere. Everybody knows this is fluid. You're talking about partners on Bay who have been doing this for who knows how many years.

Edited by Rashabon
  • Like 1

Just now, pzabbythesecond said:

This is pablum. There is literally no way to distinguish between a student who lies (note: I am not advising that) and a student who has a genuine change of heart. The point of the interview week is to allow firms and students to make an informed decision. 

If a firm is pressuring you to commit, you should feel absolutely no guilt if you later have to renege on what was not even a promise extracted from you in an incredibly precarious situation.

But regardless, put yourself first. The firms are going to be fine!!!!!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I hope you can pay off your debt with honor bucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What does Bay Street Reputation matter if you don't end up getting a job as a result of maintaining your "honour"?

A positive obligation to ruin your chances with a firm because of an honest change of heart is hardly similar to being a scumbag and telling 4/4 firms they are your number one. These are not the same thing, don't treat them the same.  

22 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Yeah. Say whatever you think the firm wants to hear.

So is your advice really to tell all the firms that they're your first choice? 

Just out of curiosity, obviously. Feel free to answer via PM if you prefer. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

You've literally never done this process and aren't a lawyer. This process is well-honed and happens the same every single year. I don't think it needs layman perspectives on how it works and best practices. 

Thanks Rashaban. I'm literally going through the process right now but I'm glad you think I'm some layman. I've spoken to numerous practitioners about this very thing - on and off bay - and the advice about reputation is a constant. You have your own view point as one lawyer. I'm saying mine based off the numerous I've spoken to. The poster is obviously free to do whatever the hell they want since this is an anonymous forum. But I must say I don't appreciate your tone one bit and couldn't care less who you are.

• Like 2

Just to add to this conversation about other markets if any future 2Ls are lurking.. at least in the Vancouver market, it is arguably more reasonable to follow pzabbythesecond's advice. In fact, I have heard of students in Vancouver following this advice and still obtaining offers from the first firm. In terms of how it may affect your reputation, it might be the result of it being a much smaller market vs. Bay, but I have talked to many lawyers/partners who indicate remembering the names and faces of students that told them first choice but didn't accept when they called. To that extent, it may potentially damage your reputation. To the extent that this will affect your legal career in any way, who knows. 

Another difference, however, is that I hear less about "horror stories" of firms leading students on in Vancouver than in Toronto or firms explicitly pressuring you to drop first choice (although many firms will not call you if you do not tell them first choice). From what I have heard/experienced, students have a pretty accurate sense of what to expect on call day - which makes it less of a risk to do something like telling a firm they are not your first choice anymore if you are confident your real top choice will call you. This is anecdotal, however, so if anyone else has heard/experienced otherwise, please feel free to chime in. 

22 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

So is your advice really to tell all the firms that they're your first choice? 

Just out of curiosity, obviously. Feel free to answer via PM if you prefer. 

Do you honestly think a firm is going to interrogate you on the Wednesday evening if you told them they were your top choice on the Tuesday? There's a cooling off period for a reason. Plans change. Perceptions change. I don't advocate being a bald-faced liar, but if someone says "so where do we rank, are we your top choice", you really can just say "yeah I think you're my top choice right now". As I said before, the simple act of asking that question might very well change the answer since now you prefer another firm that didn't bug you that way, but it's not your responsibility to tell someone that. Firm's will read into how strong you are or not, but that's the process.

I got by being honest with what I wanted and where I wanted to be and the firm I'm hired at was forthright about it back. Not every firm is and not every person is. And that's okay. Every year there's a few people who everyone thought was a lock and ended up making a different decision. It literally happens all the time and the firm can't really question it. Maybe you called up your parents during the cooling off period and they said "Blakes and Torys sound too hoity-toity, go to Faskens" and you seriously took that to heart and changed your mind. That shit just happens.

16 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Thanks Rashaban. I'm literally going through the process right now but I'm glad you think I'm some layman. I've spoken to numerous practitioners about this very thing - on and off bay - and the advice about reputation is a constant. You have your own view point as one lawyer. I'm saying mine based off the numerous I've spoken to. The poster is obviously free to do whatever the hell they want since this is an anonymous forum. But I must say I don't appreciate your tone one bit and couldn't care less who you are.

No offense but you're the definition of a layman. You're in the middle of the process and haven't completed it. I've been on the other side for years.

I would be shocked and frankly more offended by a lawyer that recalled and was miffed years later about a candidate that told the lawyer's firm that it was their top choice and rejected their offer, than by a candidate actually doing so. The former shows a fucked up sense of priorities. The latter is normal course and perfectly explicable and rational.

When people talk about reputation, they're talking about in practice and in personal conduct. Not whether you were somewhat sharp during recruitment. That's ludicrous.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

No offense but you're the definition of a layman. You're in the middle of the process and haven't completed it. I've been on the other side for years.

I would be shocked and frankly more offended by a lawyer that recalled and was miffed years later about a candidate that told the lawyer's firm that it was their top choice and rejected their offer, than by a candidate actually doing so. The former shows a fucked up sense of priorities. The latter is normal course and perfectly explicable and rational.

When people talk about reputation, they're talking about in practice and in personal conduct. Not whether you were somewhat sharp during recruitment. That's ludicrous.

You can have that view. I'm just reporting back to the poster what I've heard. 

1 hour ago, 1234lawstudent said:

Has anyone heard from McMillan about tomorrow?

Yes, a lunch for tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Rashabon said:

Some lawyers involved in Bay Street hiring appear to disagree with you and say that it is remembered when students lie to firms....

• Like 3