Sign in to follow this  
iacoboujee

2L Summer (2019) Recruit PFOs/ITCs

Just got out of three interviews.  You guys are doing great.  Make sure you get some sleep tonight!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muskiehunter said:

Not that I have been lucky enough to receive any second interviews yet, but in case I do: does anyone know if the nature of second in-firm government interviews (e.g. DOJ/PPSC) is different than their first in-firm interviews (and OCIs for that matter)?

The OCIs were substantive and the first in-firms were as well. I am pretty exhausted and have no idea what left to study/prepare - my hope is that the second day of in-firms will be less formal and more social. 

Also: what really is the function of the second interviews? Do places cut a significant amount of candidates after the second interview? E.g. 4:1 candidate to hire ratio going into the first in-firm, 2:1 going into the second interview, then final decisions? 

For DOJ, it was more of the same but with different interviewers. There were no substantive questions that I can recall but a lot of behavioural and ethical questions. 

4 minutes ago, letsgo1234 said:

Did anyone get a dinner from Lenczner Slaght yet?

I received an email from my school and I think it stated that Lenczner is not doing dinners because it puts some people at a disadvantage. I deleted the email though so someone else will have to confirm that.

5 minutes ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

I received an email from my school and I think it stated that Lenczner is not doing dinners because it puts some people at a disadvantage. I deleted the email though so someone else will have to confirm that.

I think they were just referring to the cocktail party! Since they cancelled that for this year. I believe they're still doing dinners!

21 minutes ago, letsgo1234 said:

I think they were just referring to the cocktail party! Since they cancelled that for this year. I believe they're still doing dinners!

My bad! I assume someone else can shed some light on this.

1 hour ago, solas said:

For DOJ, it was more of the same but with different interviewers. There were no substantive questions that I can recall but a lot of behavioural and ethical questions. 

Damn it. Thank you for the heads up. At least I can go in with my eyes open. That seems pretty bizarre though - after an hour and a half of formal questioning already, do they really need another half hour of formal questioning to gain an informed view about a candidates substantive/behavioural abilities? And it isn't like it was the same interviewers for the OCIs and in-firms - so there have been a minimum of four different people who can comment on the substantive/formal side of things.

I would imagine at this point they would want to see if candidates are people they would want to work with, or maybe even ask them about their experiences/resume/classes. I guess that is what the reception is for? Oh well, good luck for everyone interviewing tomorrow!

15 minutes ago, Muskiehunter said:

Damn it. Thank you for the heads up. At least I can go in with my eyes open. That seems pretty bizarre though - after an hour and a half of formal questioning already, do they really need another half hour of formal questioning to gain an informed view about a candidates substantive/behavioural abilities? And it isn't like it was the same interviewers for the OCIs and in-firms - so there have been a minimum of four different people who can comment on the substantive/formal side of things.

I would imagine at this point they would want to see if candidates are people they would want to work with, or maybe even ask them about their experiences/resume/classes. I guess that is what the reception is for? Oh well, good luck for everyone interviewing tomorrow!

It was a bit strange, and I definitely bungled my second interview with them because I had no idea what to expect or how to prepare. One of my interviewers did say that everyone who makes it through to the second interview is intellectually/academically capable of doing the work and, at that point, all they're trying to evaluate is how well you'd fit in there (i.e. can you work in a team, understand the higher ethical obligations on/role of Crown lawyers in the system, that kind of thing). 

14 hours ago, letsgo1234 said:

I don't think they're doing dinners. I also know that it doesn't matter; none of the people I know who received offers there in the past had a dinner.

Edited by hottawa

Any insight on the likelihood that a firm changes it’s mind about you after telling/asking you on the Monday interview that “they want you/how can they convince you to choose them?”

Edited by Ghalm

2 hours ago, Ghalm said:

Any insight on the likelihood that a firm changes it’s mind about you after telling/asking you on the Monday interview that “they want you/how can they convince you to choose them?”

Could happen if you don't express that same interest. Speaking from personal experience, firms want to make offers to people that they know are likely to accept. Some firms that take a small number of students are, in my opinion, even more likely to stick to this. 

So to answer your question, if you don't communicate that you too are interested, even this whole "1st choice" thing, then perhaps their love of you will decrease. 

Could be wrong but putting it out there... 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hottawa said:

I don't think they're doing dinners. I also know that it doesn't matter; none of the people I know who received offers there in the past had a dinner.

Thank you for the response! From the people you know who got offers, did they all receive a second interview? 

4 hours ago, Ghalm said:

It can definitely happen. Without knowing the interviewing structure of any firm other than my own, I can think of the following possible scenarios:

• The people who told you that were just a small number of the people on the recruitment committee, and while they might have loved you, more people (or more senior people) really really loved other people.
  • You come back for a second interview and those interviewers are less into you.
  • The firm continues to do first interviews on Tuesday morning, and all those people are beyond stellar and knock you down the list.
  • The firm gets calls on Tuesday afternoon from senior partners of prominent firms, telling them they would be crazy not to hire candidates X, Y and Z.
  • The firm calls one of your references and gets concerning information about you.

I have seen all of these things happen in previous student recruitment cycles. I can't comment on how likely any of these are, but there's a reason that students are told to take firms' expressions of interest with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, barelylegal said:

It can definitely happen. Without knowing the interviewing structure of any firm other than my own, I can think of the following possible scenarios:

• The people who told you that were just a small number of the people on the recruitment committee, and while they might have loved you, more people (or more senior people) really really loved other people.
  • You come back for a second interview and those interviewers are less into you.
  • The firm continues to do first interviews on Tuesday morning, and all those people are beyond stellar and knock you down the list.
  • The firm gets calls on Tuesday afternoon from senior partners of prominent firms, telling them they would be crazy not to hire candidates X, Y and Z.
  • The firm calls one of your references and gets concerning information about you.

I have seen all of these things happen in previous student recruitment cycles. I can't comment on how likely any of these are, but there's a reason that students are told to take firms' expressions of interest with a grain of salt.

Thank you so much for this insight!!! 

6 hours ago, User1994 said:

Could happen if you don't express that same interest. Speaking from personal experience, firms want to make offers to people that they know are likely to accept. Some firms that take a small number of students are, in my opinion, even more likely to stick to this. 

So to answer your question, if you don't communicate that you too are interested, even this whole "1st choice" thing, then perhaps their love of you will decrease. 

Could be wrong but putting it out there... 

Thank you very much for your perspective! 

I mentioned the “top choice” words to a partner at a firm I’ve interviewed with, and at the time it was absolutely true, but unbeknownst to me another firm who scheduled me for a first interview Tuesday night appears to be interested and invited me to a small dinner tonight. 

Any advice on if I end up altering my viewpoints and the original top choice falls to my second?

I would personally just say yes if top choice firm calls. But one option might be informing that firm before the blackout period that you're still really keen, but things have changed etc etc. You almost certainly won't get an offer if you do that but it's better than burning a bridge and hurting your rep.

40 minutes ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

I mentioned the “top choice” words to a partner at a firm I’ve interviewed with, and at the time it was absolutely true, but unbeknownst to me another firm who scheduled me for a first interview Tuesday night appears to be interested and invited me to a small dinner tonight. 

Any advice on if I end up altering my viewpoints and the original top choice falls to my second?

Do NOT inform them that things have changed. You have no idea how it’s going to pan out with this other firm. If they make  you an offer and you have to decline be apologetic and explain that you were genuine but circumstances changed. You can’t take back what you said so it’s about damage control if you must decline. But don’t you dare contact them saying “btw I’m actually not that into you” 

Edited by healthlaw
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

I wouldn’t say anything to the first firm. No need to do that. It was honest at the time. If second firm becomes your top choice, you can tell them that, and could even tell them that you’ve adjusted your initial preferences to put them first because everyone was so great at the dinner, etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

Do NOT inform them that things have changed. You have no idea how it’s going to pan out with this other firm. If they make  you an offer and you have to decline be apologetic and explain that you were genuine but circumstances changed. You can’t take back what you said so it’s about damage control if you must decline. But don’t you dare contact them saying “btw I’m actually not that into you” 

Solid advice IMO. This is a huge corporate entity who doesn't care about you beyond what profit you'll bring in. You were genuine, don't ruin your chances just for their benefit. You don't owe them that. 

• Like 2