Sign in to follow this  
iacoboujee

2L Summer (2019) Recruit PFOs/ITCs

Also...I hung up too quickly on one of my calls because was feeling so rushed - I hung up as she was saying "thank you goodbye" - is this a cause for concern? :| 

1 minute ago, lllllll said:

Also...I hung up too quickly on one of my calls because was feeling so rushed - I hung up as she was saying "thank you goodbye" - is this a cause for concern? :| 

She probably won't remember by the next call. But that's a cue to you to breathe and relax. This too shall pass. 

• Like 1

Just now, TarpeianRock said:

A firm scheduled a first interview on the Wednesday morning. Is this a sign they're not very interested?

I may know which firm you are discussing. We were informed by our school that we cannot read into what time the employers schedule us, as they may have no other choices. However, on the flip side we were also told that firms will read into when we schedule them.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if they scheduled you. I am perceiving it as they want you as a candidate but simply don't have time anywhere else. In the end, you got the call, now kick some ass.

• Like 2

Does anyone know how long we should be receiving calls for? ie. when would it usually be considered safe to go about our days without running the risk of possibly missing a firm's call?

Also, if you have to schedule a firm for a first interview on a Tuesday, will they take this as an indicator that you are not interested? (if the firm indicates to you that they have both Monday and Tuesday spots available)

36 minutes ago, Brooke said:

Also, if you have to schedule a firm for a first interview on a Tuesday, will they take this as an indicator that you are not interested? (if the firm indicates to you that they have both Monday and Tuesday spots available)

24 minutes ago, laaasy18 said:

Does a first interview on Tuesday weaken your chances?

A firm that I scheduled a first interview on Tuesday with ultimately made me an offer, so I don't think it's a huge deal (but it may depend on the firm). If you make it known to the firm (e.g., by telling the articling student or interviewer that you meet with on Tuesday) that you really wanted a Monday interview but that call day just didn't work out as you had planned, I don't think the firm will (or should) care.

That said, the bigger issue is that you will be behind the 8 ball a bit. Some people will have interviewed on Monday and will be coming back for their second interviews on Tuesday. You will be disadvantaged to the extent that the Monday interviewees are able to meet more people and get their name out there because they had an interview a day ahead of you.

Edited by Rearden

23 minutes ago, Brooke said:

Does anyone know how long we should be receiving calls for? ie. when would it usually be considered safe to go about our days without running the risk of possibly missing a firm's call?

Calls are usually finished by 9:00am. In fact, at my firm we finished before 8:30.

This whole process strikes me as remarkably stupid. It certainly doesn't benefit the students, but it also doesn't benefit the firms. To squeeze everything into an interview week, as opposed to just recruiting when convenient for both interviewers and students is stupid because of the opportunities lost by both parties. Firms should just interview when they want starting at x date, and offers should have to be held open for a sufficient amount of time for students to interview wherever else and decide.

Our cousins down south have a much more reasonable and straightforward approach to this.

43 minutes ago, lllllll said:

Don't worry about it. I was making calls this year. Those things don't matter to us (we remember how much of a shit show call day was), and even if the caller noticed, it's not the type of thing you would tell a recruiter about.

ETA: The types of things we would tell our student director about were generally only positive. For example, if you were forced to book an interview on Tuesday (for whatever reason), but you indicated that you really wanted a Monday time slot, I would make note of that (because it indicates you're interested in us) and pass it on to the student director. We're not out to hurt your chances. I think this would also ring true for any interactions you have with summer or articling students throughout the remainder of the process; we're here to help you, not hurt you.

Edited by Rearden
ETA
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, whatishappening said:

Has anyone heard from ministry of health yet?

MOH sent ITCs earlier this week (if you're just asking about the call specifically, never mind!). But also, I just got a call from a government office about 10 min ago, so I think they are sometimes slower to call. 

Edited by hufflepuff

5 minutes ago, whatishappening said:

I missed a call from someone and they haven’t called back yet. I’ve tried calling them and it keeps going to voicemail. Do I just wait? 

I would keep calling every 15 minutes.

Just now, laaasy18 said:

I would keep calling every 15 minutes.

Frankly, I would call more often than every 15 minutes. Chances are they want to be done with this sooner rather than later.

Just now, Scrappylittlesomebody said:

any thoughts on calling a firm that you haven't heard from to see if they have spots for an in-firm? (no ITC/PFO/phone call) 

It couldn't hurt, but it's unlikely that anything will come from it.

From the public side of things, I have received two calls within the last 15 minutes or so. I am near the bottom of their lists (only late interview slots available), but some calls are still going out. 

Edit: That said, can anyone confirm that LAO calls have gone out?

Edited by Muskiehunter

Is the timing of the calls indicative of your ranking as a candidate with that firm? I.e. whether a firm called you at 8 on the dot for the first time vs. 8:05 or so.