Sign in to follow this  
ZAC028

LSAT TEST DAY

Hey, I was just wondering what the procedure for the LSAT is like on the Test Day, as I am writing for my first time this September.

• Does the test start at 8:30am OR Do you have to be in the building at 8:30am?
  • If I reach the building (not the room) at 8:00am will they allow me to go inside or would I need to wait outside?
  • Am I allowed to bring my phone into the building (not the room) and hide it somewhere inside?
  • Is a friend allowed to enter the building (not the room) in which the LSAT is being admisitered?
  • After every section are we given a few minutes before the next section starts (to reset my watch, change pencils, etc.)?
  • Are we given all the sections at once OR Are we given one section at a time that is collected at the end of the section?
  • Are we given a time warning?
  • Are we told when the time is up?
  • Around how many individuals are in the test room?
  • What time is the exam normally finished?
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ZAC028 said:
  •  

You are not told when time is up. They leave you to estimate when 35 minutes is up. It is like the 'Price is Right', closest to but not over wins.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, ZAC028 said:

Hey, I was just wondering what the procedure for the LSAT is like on the Test Day, as I am writing for my first time this September.

• Does the test start at 8:30am OR Do you have to be in the building at 8:30am?
  • If I reach the building (not the room) at 8:00am will they allow me to go inside or would I need to wait outside?
  • Am I allowed to bring my phone into the building (not the room) and hide it somewhere inside?
  • Is a friend allowed to enter the building (not the room) in which the LSAT is being admisitered?
  • After every section are we given a few minutes before the next section starts (to reset my watch, change pencils, etc.)?
  • Are we given all the sections at once OR Are we given one section at a time that is collected at the end of the section?
  • Are we given a time warning?
  • Around how many individuals are in the test room?
  • What time is the exam normally finished?

They will start letting people in at 8:30am but test probably wont start until 9ish (they assign people to seats, sign them in etc etc which takes some time). Reach at 8am? you will need to wait outside the room until 8:30am. Leave your phone in car, home, with someone, you can bring it into the building but not in the room. Yup, your friend can totally accompany you, leave the phone with them. You will have plenty of time to reset watch, sharpen pencils in between sections, as the person will read instructions before start of each sections. You get all sections in a booklet at once but offcourse arent allowed to flip forward. They will give you a 5 mins heads up at the end of each section. Offcourse you will know when the time is up as the person will tell you to put your pencil down. Umm depends on location and lecture hall/setting as to how many people. It took 5 and a half hours for me.

Edited by Heytea
**Okay, so you wont get "minuteS" in between sections, maybe 45secs ish but for me that was enough to resest my watch and sharpen a pencil (but bring extras so you dont have to sharpen)

- 8:30 is the reporting time, not when the test starts. It takes quite a bit longer (30+ minutes) to distribute the test materials, read the pre-test instructions, check IDs, get everyone seated, make sure that everyone's written down the proper test booklet and exam center codes, and for you to write your biographical info and the certifying statement down before you actually begin the test. 

- Depends on the test center. 

- You might, but there have been instances where people have been kicked out for bringing their phones into the building. I wouldn't chance it. 

- No, if your proctor is following instructions, you won't be given extra time to do those things (and the fact that you're asking this is slightly concerning, because it suggests that you haven't been writing practice tests under proper test conditions). 

- You'll get all the sections at once, but won't be able to flip ahead or go back to a previous section during the exam. 

- Yes, you're given a 5 minute warning and then will be told to put your pencil down when time's up (but you should know this already through your PTs). 

- Depends on the test center, but I'd estimate about 5-6 hours.

---
Can I ask (out of concern, not condescension) whether you've prepared for the test? Some of the questions you're asking (about the five-minute warning and taking one section at a time) suggest that you haven't done many full 5-section practice tests, and it's not the best idea to take the LSAT when you're not prepared. 

Edited by Tagger

20 minutes ago, Tagger said:

- 8:30 is the reporting time, not when the test starts. It takes quite a bit longer (30+ minutes) to distribute the test materials, read the pre-test instructions, check IDs, get everyone seated, make sure that everyone's written down the proper test booklet and exam center codes, and for you to write your biographical info and the certifying statement down before you actually begin the test. 

- You might, but there have been instances where people have been kicked out for bringing their phones into the building. I wouldn't chance it. 

- No, if your proctor is following instructions, you won't be given extra time to do those things (and the fact that you're asking this is slightly concerning, because it suggests that you haven't been writing practice tests under proper test conditions). 

- You'll get all the sections at once, but won't be able to flip ahead or go back to a previous section during the exam. 

- Yes, you're given a 5 minute warning and then will be told to put your pencil down when time's up (but you should know this already through your PTs). 

- Depends on the test center, but I'd estimate about 5-6 hours.

---
Can I ask (out of concern, not condescension) whether you've prepared for the test? Some of the questions you're asking (about the five-minute warning and taking one section at a time) suggest that you haven't done many full 5-section practice tests, and it's not the best idea to take the LSAT when you're not prepared. 

I have been studying for 2-3 months now, and I just wanted to make sure that I understand correctly. I do know that there aren't like 5-10 minute breaks between each section. Also, many people frame the LSAT as being very strict due to which I thought maybe they do not provide a warning and just inform you when your time is up. The nerves are kicking in which is making me ask all these questions. I want to be completely prepared. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Heytea said:

They will start letting people in at 8:30am but test probably wont start until 9ish (they assign people to seats, sign them in etc etc which takes some time). Reach at 8am? you will need to wait outside the room until 8:30am. Leave your phone in car, home, with someone, you can bring it into the building but not in the room. Yup, your friend can totally accompany you, leave the phone with them. You will have plenty of time to reset watch, sharpen pencils in between sections, as the person will read instructions before start of each sections. You get all sections in a booklet at once but offcourse arent allowed to flip forward. They will give you a 5 mins heads up at the end of each section. Offcourse you will know when the time is up as the person will tell you to put your pencil down. Umm depends on location and lecture hall/setting as to how many people. It took 5 and a half hours for me.

Perfect, thank you very much! As long as it is enough time for me to rest my watch to the next hour and not get confused with timing!

Gotcha. 

In that case, there are virtual proctor videos on YouTube that follow the exact timing of the test, including the 15-minute break between sections 3 and 4. If you haven't already, I'd recommend that you take a test or two this week using the proctor video just so you know what to expect. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Tagger

Don't bring your cell phone into the building. Leave it at home or in your car. I've personally seen someone kicked out for this. It wasn't pretty.

• Like 2

Protip: use your ID to slice open the sticker that seals the LSAT test booklet. Everyone around you will be dying to gently remove the sticker and will rip half the page off, just slice it open with your ID card. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Protip: use your ID to slice open the sticker that seals the LSAT test booklet. Everyone around you will be dying to gently remove the sticker and will rip half the page off, just slice it open with your ID card. 

cannot recommend this more, that was a surprise for me that they seal the booklet with this paper sticker/seal!! I definitely tore the front page a bit...

This might be a random question but I am taking the subway down to the test center which is an hour away from me. What am i supposed to do with my wallet/phone? I can't take the public transit without them but I also can't bring them into the test center...

14 minutes ago, polisciundergrad10 said:

This might be a random question but I am taking the subway down to the test center which is an hour away from me. What am i supposed to do with my wallet/phone? I can't take the public transit without them but I also can't bring them into the test center...

You can bring a wallet with you into the test centre. And if you can't survive an hour long transit ride without your phone, that seems like a very first world problem...