LoneStarAB

Holistic Review Chances for 2019? - 3.94 GPA and Work Experience, but low LSAT

Posted (edited)

Going into my last year of undergrad. I have a L2 3.94 GPA , 3.93 CGPA. I have three summers worth of full-time work experience in busy jobs at high profile companies. Working there ( overtime a lot, sometimes 7 days a week until midnight)   did not allow me much time at all to prep for LSAT the last two years.  I took the July LSAT and scored a disappointing 153. I'm booked to re-write the exam in November. Now, what would happen if I scored low in November again? Would I have a shot at admission during UAlberta Law's holistic review process?  Will my work experience, GPA, and my volunteer work, all of which I will highlight heavily in my personal statement give me a serious chance during the holistic review? 

Edited by LoneStarAB

check the admitted students profile. you already have a chance to get in late with your stats as-is, assuming your fall semester's grades don't tank. If you re-write, they will average the scores. 156+ average and you should be good.

U of A just looks at your last 60 credits (or a bit more if your 60th credit is in the middle of your second year) so assuming that your last 60 is still a 3.9 average, you should be ok, even with 153 LSAT.    But certainly try for a higher LSAT so there is no uncertainty. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u9luOkViBOYVM2bWFMcmJNcUpOZVBZY0lsTVpyOGRIaGFR/view

I wouldn't count on their holistic review process, unless you have other significant considerations you didn't mention here.  I have 20+ years of work experience, law experience, volunteer, management and start up experience, an MBA, almost made their criteria for regular admission with my LSAT and GPA, and I'm sitting on their wait list. (Or maybe they really hate MBAs...?) 😏

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You have a good chance. I got accepted in January with similar stats 

Edited by DJ89

Remember - the Admitted Applicant Profile DOES NOT include those admitted through the holistic review process. It only applies to regular applicants. 

On 8/23/2018 at 3:47 PM, Waterfall2021 said:

U of A just looks at your last 60 credits (or a bit more if your 60th credit is in the middle of your second year) so assuming that your last 60 is still a 3.9 average, you should be ok, even with 153 LSAT.    But certainly try for a higher LSAT so there is no uncertainty. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u9luOkViBOYVM2bWFMcmJNcUpOZVBZY0lsTVpyOGRIaGFR/view

I wouldn't count on their holistic review process, unless you have other significant considerations you didn't mention here.  I have 20+ years of work experience, law experience, volunteer, management and start up experience, an MBA, almost made their criteria for regular admission with my LSAT and GPA, and I'm sitting on their wait list. (Or maybe they really hate MBAs...?) 😏

@Waterfall2021 , what were your stats ( L2 GPA and LSAT) last year if you don't mind sharing? 

On 10/8/2018 at 8:19 PM, LoneStarAB said:

@Waterfall2021 , what were your stats ( L2 GPA and LSAT) last year if you don't mind sharing? 

I thought my L2 GPA was 3.6 but the admissions office just told me a few weeks ago that they have it at 3.5.  They used the 9.0 undergraduate scale to calculate my graduate degree conversion,  and I was using the 9.0 graduate scale (off the back of my own U of A transcripts).  But no point arguing now.  I'm rewriting the LSAT next month and going to get a better score so I'll get in next year either way.  My LSAT score so far is 158.

Interestingly, the U of A applicant profile for 2018/19 is just out.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u9luOkViBOYVM2bWFMcmJNcUpOZVBZY0lsTVpyOGRIaGFR/view  They are showing 175 students admitted through regular admission and their quota states they take 185 students.  So that only left 10 spots for holistic admissions.   I think the take-away here is definitely don't count on getting in through their very slim holistic review process...

1 hour ago, Waterfall2021 said:

They are showing 175 students admitted through regular admission and their quota states they take 185 students.  So that only left 10 spots for holistic admissions.   I think the take-away here is definitely don't count on getting in through their very slim holistic review process...

I believe we were told that there were 183 of us at the beginning of the year. Just FYI. 

12 minutes ago, Whosiewhatsie said:

Does anyone have access to the previous applicant profile? How does this compare?

I have the 2017/18 saved as a pdf. is there an option here for me to upload a pdf?

17 hours ago, lookingforasuit said:

I believe we were told that there were 183 of us at the beginning of the year. Just FYI. 

Aaaargh.  Why wouldn't they take people off the wait list then?  I told them I live in Edmonton and could have been there with literally zero notice.  So cruel...

5 hours ago, Whosiewhatsie said:

Does anyone have access to the previous applicant profile? How does this compare?

I have a copy of it too.  It's extremely similar.  Exactly the same acceptance cut off line.  The biggest difference is that they show 160 regular applicants on that one, instead of 175.

I just mean the imaginary diagonal line on the graph marking what combination of LSAT and GPA was accepted and what wasn't.  The line was in the same place last year and this year.

7 hours ago, Waterfall2021 said:

Aaaargh.  Why wouldn't they take people off the wait list then?  I told them I live in Edmonton and could have been there with literally zero notice.  So cruel...

One guy wasn't at pre orientation and showed up after classes started. So maybe it went up by a couple. I feel like there have definitely been people who dropped out. 

Did you end up attending another school?

I heard there were 186! 8 Aboriginal admittances. So if that's correct 2 were admitted holistically.