Sign in to follow this  
ElleWoodsJr

OCI PROCESS QUESTION - URGENT

This might be an extremely silly question, but i can whole-heartedly admit that my school/no one has informed me of its answer, nor had I thought to ask it until now (my fault), but, are all firms bound by the LSUC requirements of summer recruiting? Meaning, if you don't get a position through the recruitment process/apply to all possible firms by August 20, are you not permitted to apply to other firms (as in, those not in your school's OCI participant list/those not on ViPortal) and/or be hired by said firms after all the LSUC submission, notification, and interview dates?

TL;DR: After August 20th, are you essentially screwed for next summer?

Not at all, you can absolutely keep looking if you don’t get something through OCIs. There are tons of people who don’t find a job through OCIs and find something later.

• Like 1

It depends on whether the other firms participate in the OCI process, I believe. If they don't, I would assume they wouldn't be bound by LSUC's requirement for OCIs

• Like 1

I assume you're talking about Toronto OCIs. Short answer: No.

The OCI recruitment procedure is, basically, the earliest that firms are permitted to conduct recruitment activities. In broad terms, firms that participate in OCIs are those that are large or consistently busy enough to have a sense of how many students they want to hire nearly a year in advance, want to scoop up the "top" candidates, etc. The OCI procedures provide structure for this early hiring scramble.

Employers aren't required to participate in the OCI process, and lots of firms/employers don't participate in the OCI recruit, for various reasons. Maybe they aren't in a position to know, nearly a year in advance, how many articling students they'll want to hire, or if they'll be hiring at all. Maybe they just don't recruit that far in advance for other reasons. Maybe they want to hire at their own pace, and not be bound by Law Society regulations in that respect. These employers can hire at any time, and you're open to apply to their postings should you not secure a position in the OCI recruit. In broad terms, these employers which hire later on tend to be smaller or more specialized firms, or corporations, or regulatory bodies, or unions, or other less-traditional legal employers.

• Like 5