Sign in to follow this  
SlickRick

Curious as to what a 3.7 cGPA translates to on transcripts?

I've been curious about this for a while, for those of you who have at least but not too much higher than a 3.70 cGPa, what do your transcripts look like? For reference, I was told by the law school adviser at my school that because my cGPA was over 80% on their scale (84% to be exact), it would likely transfer to at least a 3.7 on the 4.0. Ignorantly, I took her information as accurate and was surprised when it wasn't so.

To be clear, I don't think the difference between my 3.62 and a 3.70 would've been the deciding factor in gaining admissions this cycle. Simply because my LSAT wasn't optimal (154).

I received 28 A's and 12 B's in my undergrad. A B- being my lowest grade.

A+: 5

A: 11

A-: 12

B+: 6

B: 5

B-: 1

I don't expect anyone to list them all out as I have; I am merely inquiring. 

Edited by SlickRick

My friend has a 3.78 olsas scaled cGPA and her cumulative average is 84.8%! The olsas scale is meant to reward people for consistency the most, since each individual grade is assigned a scale, and even a few stray grades can bring it down a lot. Another example- someone else I know applied with a 3.95 even though they had a 94.5% average (the 3.95 was due to literally one 80 in first year when the rest were all high 90s), meanwhile mine converts to a 3.99 (even though it's 92.9%, which is significantly less than a 94.5 cumulative average)! It's weird, but at least schools also see your transcript as well! :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, e0813 said:

My friend has a 3.78 olsas scaled cGPA and her cumulative average is 84.8%! The olsas scale is meant to reward people for consistency the most, since each individual grade is assigned a scale, and even a few stray grades can bring it down a lot. Another example- someone else I know applied with a 3.95 even though they had a 94.5% average (the 3.95 was due to literally one 80 in first year when the rest were all high 90s), meanwhile mine converts to a 3.99 (even though it's 92.9%, which is significantly less than a 94.5 cumulative average)! It's weird, but at least schools also see your transcript as well! :) 

Be honest, did that 0.01 erk you? :P Haha. Amazing cGPA and thank you for the response. 

Edited by SlickRick

2 minutes ago, SlickRick said:

Be honest, did that 0.01 erk you? :P Haha. Amazing cGPA and thank you for the response. 

It truly does!! Especially since it's from one 89 in a first year elective 😂 But thank you!! You too!

• Haha 1

3.71 cGPA on OLSAS, which is also exactly the cGPA on my transcript so it translated without surprise. I went to a school where A = 4.0 was the highest grade you could achieve. This is 35 classes because I did a study abroad which OLSAS did not include in the calculations.

A: 18

A-: 8

B: 1

B-: 2

Hope that helps (or at least scratches that curiosity itch)!

1 hour ago, e0813 said:

My friend has a 3.78 olsas scaled cGPA and her cumulative average is 84.8%! The olsas scale is meant to reward people for consistency the most, since each individual grade is assigned a scale, and even a few stray grades can bring it down a lot. 

Can 100% confirm this. I have an 84.9 final, basically the same average, which is a 3.65 cGPA by OLSAS. Thanks to anything above a 90 not being rewarded, plus a course I almost failed (mid-50s) and a math course with the worst prof ever (mid-60s), the consistency bit slaughtered me.

12 minutes ago, RNGesus said:

Can 100% confirm this. I have an 84.9 final, basically the same average, which is a 3.65 cGPA by OLSAS. Thanks to anything above a 90 not being rewarded, plus a course I almost failed (mid-50s) and a math course with the worst prof ever (mid-60s), the consistency bit slaughtered me.

I suppose that's the same for me, I consistently had a couple B's every year. Suppose I should've actually read the readings haha.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, xdarkwhite said:

3.71 cGPA on OLSAS, which is also exactly the cGPA on my transcript so it translated without surprise. I went to a school where A = 4.0 was the highest grade you could achieve. This is 35 classes because I did a study abroad which OLSAS did not include in the calculations.

A: 18

A-: 8

B: 1

B-: 2

Hope that helps (or at least scratches that curiosity itch)!

Thank you for the insight, itch was definitely scratched. 

3.7 is the top of the A- range (80-86%). 3.3 is a B+ (75-79%). See the huge gap? If you have an 80%, you get 3.7, but if you got 1% less, you get a 3.3. 

You have a lot of B+ marks on your transcript, which bring down your GPA. Here’s an example:

A-, A-, B+. On a traditional scale, your average would still be like 83%. But on the OLSAS scale, it’d turn into a 3.56. Ouch. 

Here’s a better explanation for why this is:

https://lawapplicants.ca/faq#grades-olsas-down

Sadly OLSAS can really screw you up. I have an 80% average but a 3.33 due to a bad first year :(

2 hours ago, Ryn said:

3.7 is the top of the A- range (80-86%). 3.3 is a B+ (75-79%). See the huge gap? If you have an 80%, you get 3.7, but if you got 1% less, you get a 3.3. 

You have a lot of B+ marks on your transcript, which bring down your GPA. Here’s an example:

A-, A-, B+. On a traditional scale, your average would still be like 83%. But on the OLSAS scale, it’d turn into a 3.56. Ouch. 

Here’s a better explanation for why this is:

https://lawapplicants.ca/faq#grades-olsas-down

Thanks!

2 hours ago, dnd24 said:

Sadly OLSAS can really screw you up. I have an 80% average but a 3.33 due to a bad first year :(

Hate to see it!