Sign in to follow this  
ljlife

Test de Francais International

Hi, 

I have a couple simple questions regarding the TFI test that anglophones have to take to get accepted to Quebec's civil law schools.

1) Do all civil law schools require passing the test? 

2) Do you take the test once you are accepted (conditional acceptance) or are you supposed to take it before you apply (like the LSAT)?

3) How difficult is the test? I'm an anglophone but i've lived in Montreal my whole life. I struggle with speaking and writing without making mistakes, but I understand the language almost perfectly. How much preparation is recommended? 

Thanks for the help! :)

36 minutes ago, ljlife said:

Hi, 

I have a couple simple questions regarding the TFI test that anglophones have to take to get accepted to Quebec's civil law schools.

1) Do all civil law schools require passing the test? 

2) Do you take the test once you are accepted (conditional acceptance) or are you supposed to take it before you apply (like the LSAT)?

1.)

- No , Ottawa's civil law programs doesnt require applicants to pass the french exam they administer ( although they don't use the TFI )

2.) 

- Yes, you'll be conditionally accepted into the program pending a  passing grade on the test . 

I didn't address the third question as I've never written the exam and only have anecdotal evidence to back my opinions of the test. that being said , a friend of mine who graduated from concordia's languages programs found the test difficult because its fast paced in that your not given a lot of time to reflect on the questions( she ultimately failed) . 

Finally , you seem to be in the same position i was in when i was applying( language wise) , therefore , i would suggest avoiding the whole TFI fiasco and applying to U of O if you can afford it . Ottawa gives you the opportunity to study in french while also being able to write your exams and assignments in english. however , U of O isn't an escape route by any means . you'll be behind the eight ball in that you'll be constantly thinking in english while your being taught  in french . furthermore ( i speak from experience) you're in class notes might become a garbled mess and you'll need rely on recordings to make ends  meet. 

UDEM and the like  expect relatively high level of french proficiency , and while they offer french courses , i wasn't ready to risk everything and bet that id improve enough to succeed in the program. 

Best of luck 

Edited by lawgic1